Must Have Measuring Tools

Not all work is measured to tenths, and much time and effort is wasted by doing so for no reason. It makes a lot more sense to use spring calipers over a rough cut part while it is turning to check it than to use a tenths micrometer after stopping the lathe. Save the tenths mic and the extra effort for the finish cut.

I use a combination square quite often for woodworking, can’t imagine using one for metalworking. Same with the Center finding and protractor fittings.

I use my sliding double square all the time, it’s definitely the square I reach for first!
(Wish I could find an imperial/metric one in Canada, (I can buy a separate imperial/metric blade though..))
(I’ve been replacing all my steel rules with dual imperial/metric, if the fraction is getting too hard for my brain I can flip it over and take the measurement in mm’s)

I 'm a retired millwright. I found machinery easier to work on if you use the measuring system it was designed in. 3.xxxx, oh that's just a 80.00 mm. That will give you the bearing number and the seal number. So I use both in my shop. Either most verniers or an electronic caliper is very handy. I have one vernier that is only imperial, I use it for scribing. It was real cheap, it even came in box !

My lathe has a 12" swing so ,at least to me anyway, I should to be able to measure accurately to 12" or 300mm. Outside mics are the tool . But before I found used,clearance,NOS, mics, I bought a 12"/300mm vernier.
I have a mill/drill ,so it's depth mics and small hole guages.

I 'm a retired millwright. I found machinery easier to work on if you use the measuring system it was designed in. 3.xxxx, oh that's just a 80.00 mm. That will give you the bearing number and the seal number. So I use both in my shop. Either most verniers or an electronic caliper is very handy. I have one vernier that is only imperial, I use it for scribing. It was real cheap, it even came in box !

My lathe has a 12" swing so ,at least to me anyway, I should to be able to measure accurately to 12" or 300mm. Outside mics are the tool . But before I found used,clearance,NOS, mics, I bought a 12"/300mm vernier.
I have a mill/drill ,so it's depth mics and small hole guages.
I’m with you: while I use available raw stock (usually in inches), I try to use metric dimensions for hole locations, hardware &c on mods & accessories for metric machines. The fact that it annoys some folks is just an added bonus.

Back