Must Have Mill Machine Accessories For A Beginner?

Portable lights, go to Ebay and look for "Magnetic Sewing Machine Light" for about $15.00. Someone here recommended them, I bought one, it's great, magnetic attachment, goose neck and 6 0r 8 LEDs. I'll probably get more.

Also Drill Bits....There are some drill bits you will never use, some you will need multiples of. While I won't recommend a complete set, I would recommend getting the boxes, and buying two of every tap drill, clearance (body) drill and under-size to ream drill. Then you can replace the ones that need it and not have to buy the ones you don't need. Yeah, as set of fractional drills and hand reamers up to 1/2 inch is good, too.

Thank you. Found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-LED-...c-base-plug-/261953119436?hash=item3cfd9f64cc

On a larger note, start keeping your eyes open for a nice rotary table. If you don't get in a hurry you can probably find a nice used one but it is amazing how much you will find yourself using one, especially working on motorcycles.

I also have a couple of 90-degree slotted angle plates that come in very handy for motorcycle work.

Mike.

On a larger note, start keeping your eyes open for a nice rotary table. If you don't get in a hurry you can probably find a nice used one but it is amazing how much you will find yourself using one, especially working on motorcycles.

I also have a couple of 90-degree slotted angle plates that come in very handy for motorcycle work.

Mike.

Mike, good to know. Any particular size to look out for?

[QUOTE="wachuko, post: 321880, member: 3862] Found it[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's it. It's amazing how versatile it is. I use it to illuminate the DRO on my PM25 mill and the tool, too.

Yep, that's it. It's amazing how versatile it is. I use it to illuminate the DRO on my PM25 mill and the tool, too.

DRO, DRO, DRO.. .argghhhh I am a geek, I am a geek... and can't control it... went to http://www.yuriystoys.com/ Should have stayed away!

Ordered the parts required to build the interface... later I will get the scales

Arduino UNO R3 board with DIP ATmega328P
Sparkfun 500 1/4W Resistor Kit
Arduino Uno R3 Enclosure case box - Black Plastic (just to make it look professional, lol)
Wall Adapter Power Supply - 9V DC 650mA
KEDSUM® Arduino Wireless Bluetooth Transceiver Module Slave 4Pin Serial + DuPont Cable
Arduino Proto Shield R3
Alldaymall A88X 7'' inch Quad Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet
UPDATE: Added Adafruit USB Mini-B Breakout Boards - rather than soldering the wires from the scales directly to the board, I much prefer to install mini-usb jacks for connecting them. The enclosure box I ordered might not work with this last minute change...

Last edited:
Mike, good to know. Any particular size to look out for?

I think an 8" rotary table is probably the most common but it may be a bit on the large size for your G0704, I am not sure. I have a 3 in 1 machine prior and the 8" was just a big larger for that, but the price was reasonable.

Maybe someone with a similar size mill table can chime in. Possibly a 6" may be more appropriately sized but it may give up some functionality for some projects.

Mike.

Large Magic Markers(felt tip pens) Work good as a sub for Dykem for layout.

As I just wrote in another thread, one milling tool I can't live without is a tramming tool / spindle square. I'd recommend it as a first project rather than buying a (quite expensive) commercial one.

I consider my spindle square every bit as essential as my milling vice (actually even more essential, now that I think about it). For the cost of a short piece of 1/2" drill rod, some 1" square aluminum bar stock, two socket head cap screws, and a couple cheapo harbor freight dial indicators you can build it pretty easily. See the following video from "Metal Tips and Tricks" on YouTube:

Now to get to the real task at hand: spending your money on tools. <laugh>

You got tee-slot nuts, but do you have a clamping kit or two (step blocks, etc.)? Low profile side clamps also come in handy. A rotary table is definitely a useful tool, but I'd wait until you have a project that needs one before you buy one. For a mill, you'll want an "indicol" style indicator holder. You ordered a DTI, but you'll probably want some (cheaper, fortunately!) dial indicators as well. You'll definitely want something with more travel than the 0.030" DTI (say a 1" indicator). You'll also want a mag base and holder (Noga is the brand you want, but there are cheaper knock-offs that aren't quite as nice).

FWIW, this isn't specific to milling, but my apron always has the following in various pockets: A Starrett 6" combination square, a 6" flexible rule, a good 6" 5R rule, a magnetic pickup tool, an extendable mirror with light, a retractable scriber, an old-school brass folding rule, a hunk of paraffin for lubricating screws or whatever, and three markers: a mechanical pencil, a sharpie, and a Dykem BriteMark paint stick. All of these see constant use.

Doubtless I could get by with a cheaper combination square, but I use the sucker constantly and it's a joy to use. The extendable pickup tool and mirror also see constant use.

The folding rule and paraffin are leftovers from my woodworking days, but I still use them regularly even with metalworking. I rarely need to measure anything more than 12" for metalworking, and when I do I don't need more than 1/8" precision. The folding rule is far, far handier to me than a tape measure for anything longer than a 12" rule that will still fit on my milling table.

The sharpie is mostly for notes to myself that I write on the vise or on the milling table directly. I don't use it much for marking parts because it wipes off so easily (any oil or solvent will usually cause it to come off). I'm a huge fan of the Dykem Brite-Mark paint sticks for marking parts, though. Those marks don't come off until I want them to.

The tools you carry on your person are the most interesting to me. Seems like that would be far more interesting than all the "what's in your toolbox" videos on YouTube. "What's in your pockets?" <laugh>

Regards,
--
Rex

Large Magic Markers(felt tip pens) Work good as a sub for Dykem for layout.
You mean I'm not the only one who does that? I have yet to get any Dykem....been using Magic Marker for about a year now!

Back