Must Have Mill Machine Accessories For A Beginner?

You mean I'm not the only one who does that? I have yet to get any Dykem....been using Magic Marker for about a year now!

Huh. Marks I make with a sharpie or regular magic marker seem to come off if I just look at them too hard. Just a hint of WD-40, cutting oil, solvents, or even the oil from my grubby fingers seems to wipe off marks before I'm done with them. Even layout fluid (Dykem) tends to wear off if I have to handle a part at all after marking it up (I'm cursed with pretty oily, sweaty hands).

Once I started using those Brite-Mark paint sticks, though, those problems went away. Also from the Dykem company, but definitely a different formulation than the normal layout fluid. Doesn't come off until I take a good solvent to it with a little elbow grease.
--
Rex

http://www.mitchrosen.com/order-online/#!/Shop-Apron/p/43127383/category=10984035
As I just wrote in another thread, one milling tool I can't live without is a tramming tool / spindle square. I'd recommend it as a first project rather than buying a (quite expensive) commercial one.

I consider my spindle square every bit as essential as my milling vice (actually even more essential, now that I think about it). For the cost of a short piece of 1/2" drill rod, some 1" square aluminum bar stock, two socket head cap screws, and a couple cheapo harbor freight dial indicators you can build it pretty easily. See the following video from "Metal Tips and Tricks" on YouTube:

Now to get to the real task at hand: spending your money on tools. <laugh>

You got tee-slot nuts, but do you have a clamping kit or two (step blocks, etc.)? Low profile side clamps also come in handy. A rotary table is definitely a useful tool, but I'd wait until you have a project that needs one before you buy one. For a mill, you'll want an "indicol" style indicator holder. You ordered a DTI, but you'll probably want some (cheaper, fortunately!) dial indicators as well. You'll definitely want something with more travel than the 0.030" DTI (say a 1" indicator). You'll also want a mag base and holder (Noga is the brand you want, but there are cheaper knock-offs that aren't quite as nice).

FWIW, this isn't specific to milling, but my apron always has the following in various pockets: A Starrett 6" combination square, a 6" flexible rule, a good 6" 5R rule, a magnetic pickup tool, an extendable mirror with light, a retractable scriber, an old-school brass folding rule, a hunk of paraffin for lubricating screws or whatever, and three markers: a mechanical pencil, a sharpie, and a Dykem BriteMark paint stick. All of these see constant use.

Doubtless I could get by with a cheaper combination square, but I use the sucker constantly and it's a joy to use. The extendable pickup tool and mirror also see constant use.

The folding rule and paraffin are leftovers from my woodworking days, but I still use them regularly even with metalworking. I rarely need to measure anything more than 12" for metalworking, and when I do I don't need more than 1/8" precision. The folding rule is far, far handier to me than a tape measure for anything longer than a 12" rule that will still fit on my milling table.

The sharpie is mostly for notes to myself that I write on the vise or on the milling table directly. I don't use it much for marking parts because it wipes off so easily (any oil or solvent will usually cause it to come off). I'm a huge fan of the Dykem Brite-Mark paint sticks for marking parts, though. Those marks don't come off until I want them to.

The tools you carry on your person are the most interesting to me. Seems like that would be far more interesting than all the "what's in your toolbox" videos on YouTube. "What's in your pockets?" <laugh>

Regards,
--
Rex

Hey Rex I could not agree more about what's in your Aaron pocket. I have the many of the same items in mine. I don't have a folding rule, but I like the idea. I have the magnetic pick up plus a little snap on screwdriver with a magnet that I am constantly using to clear chips, pick up screws out of tight spots and actually turn screws. It is small enough to work on Phillips and straight screws as long as they are not too tight. I also keep a penlight that I use a lot too. I have a cheapo denim apron but am lusting after this one when I can justify the expenditure. It is by Mitch Rosen at

http://www.mitchrosen.com/order-online/#!/Shop-Apron/p/43127383/category=10984035

267617622.jpg

[Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I had to respond once I clicked on that link.]

Good heavens! You could buy a very nice Wera wrench set, a rotary table, or a good DTI for the price of that apron!

Mine looks pretty similar, actually, but was sewed together by my wife from scraps and has seen various modifications and additions over the years (hence the different material).

IMG_0680.JPG

It took her about an hour and only a few bucks for the material, and I had just the pockets and sizes I wanted. I'd buy a sewing machine and spend a few days learning how to use it before I spent a quarter of that price on an apron!

(I also — clearly — have no compunction about wiping off my hands on my cheap apron. That's mostly hide glue from instrument making.)

I cannot wrap my head around a shop apron that costs about the same as five pairs of the blue-jeans it's there to protect. Man, I'd be afraid I'd spill something on it or get it dirty!

I'm totally with you on the throwaway screwdriver and penlight, though. I also keep a little cheapo screwdriver in my apron pocket, and I've got an extremely bright little LED flashlight that I keep on my keychain and have with me at all times (not just in the shop). That flashlight does get a lot of use in the shop (especially when checking things against a square, or searching for the little screw that fell behind something and has to be retrieved with the magnet!).
--
Rex

Rex, no apologies needed. I am here to learn and so far, every post shares information that is new to me.

As I just wrote in another thread, one milling tool I can't live without is a tramming tool / spindle square. I'd recommend it as a first project rather than buying a (quite expensive) commercial one.

I see what you are trying to do there... you are pushing me to spend another $$I do not know how much$$ on a lathe so that I can save on making that tool... just amazing logic... I like it! lol

You got tee-slot nuts, but do you have a clamping kit

Yes. I ordered a clamping kit but did not notice that the t-slot nuts were 1/2" and my table is 7/16". I could have modified the ones in the kit, as suggested. Since I was already ordering a few things to take advantage of the 20% discount, and those were inexpensive, I just ordered 6 of them.

For a mill, you'll want an "indicol" style indicator holder. You ordered a DTI, but you'll probably want some (cheaper, fortunately!) dial indicators as well. You'll definitely want something with more travel than the 0.030" DTI (say a 1" indicator). You'll also want a mag base and holder (Noga is the brand you want, but there are cheaper knock-offs that aren't quite as nice).

This is where this forum is so great! I don't have a clue on what to order... so when they say "get a test-dial...well I go and see several and just select one... but was not sure on what mount to get for it. I will go ahead and search for an indicol style holder. And yes, I do have (what I call) normal dial indicators with those magnetic bases. But nothing like those articulated Noga arms. Those look like a better and more sturdy design.

FWIW, this isn't specific to milling, but my apron always has the following in various pockets: A Starrett 6" combination square, a 6" flexible rule, a good 6" 5R rule, a magnetic pickup tool, an extendable mirror with light, a retractable scriber, an old-school brass folding rule, a hunk of paraffin for lubricating screws or whatever, and three markers: a mechanical pencil, a sharpie, and a Dykem BriteMark paint stick. All of these see constant use.

I will not be getting that brand of combination square :eek:, lol. But I will find an affordable one. I was not sure on what rules to get, that is why you see that I bought several different ones... I was not aware of the Dykem BriteMark paint stick. I will get some of those.

An apron... do not have one but will have my wife make me one.

Very helpful post. Thank you!!

Another thing that I learned from that video: snap/telescopic gauges... I have a bore gauge, similar principle... but the snap gauges seem like a great addition to the tool box.

Is this the mount for the dial test indicator?

_12_zpscnywvh47.jpg

I had one identical to that for years until I copied Will's design (DarkZero) and fabricated one from a NOGA.

I purchased a couple of NOGA indicator holders, the larger one is for general use and I had a new Starrett 1" travel dial indicator kicking around that didn't have a base, the smaller NOGA, NF61003 will be used for my new mill spindle mount and I will not be using the magnetic base.
33trmns.jpg

I started the adapter with a 30-degree taper which will reside in the Indicol spindle mount.
15pk8s3.jpg

I then tapped 6mmx1.0 threads into the adapter and threaded a rod to be used with a knurled thumbnut.
35iq7w3.jpg

Threading the stud.
wlvrja.jpg

Stud threaded.
5yue4n.jpg

Adapter, stud, small taper and knurled thumbnut shown.
9pp8x5.jpg

I then moved over to the milling machine and installed the adapter into a collet block to machine the flat on the adapter and to drill/tap the 5mmx.8 hole.
kcj9zn.jpg

Adapter completed and installed into the Indicol spindle mount bracket.
2lcsjn9.jpg

NOGA NF61003 removed from the magnetic base and threaded onto the adapter and Indicol mount.
am8a60.jpg

Installed on spindle and tested.
6eoi2p.jpg

Works perfect and is rock solid. Much more rigid than the Indicol mount/arm ever was. This allows me to indicate on a part or in a hole without having to remove the tooling from the spindle. NOGA does manufacture a smaller arm like this one that has a 3/8" stem but you have to remove whatever tooling you are using and install either a 3/8" collet or drill chuck to accept the stem. This way there is no need to remove whatever tooling you have installed in the spindle.

Mike.

I like to wear apron when I think to do so. My wife makes mine! At my request. I don't like them very long, just about 2" down past my crouch. Any longer than that, they become a nuisance to wear. The only pocket I like is one for my 6" scale and also serves for my favorite pencil, too. All the other pockets, especially the lower ones are nothing but shaving catchers! Plus, they hang up on hand wheels, levers, etc. I've gotten whiplash from it!

Like the leather one Brav65, but at $185 bucks! It would be way too hot to wear down here where I'm at right now!

I just looked at those aprons and although they are nice as hell, $185.00 is too steep for me. I buy a couple of the Summit Racing ones about every other year and the work well and are fairly durable, although not quite as nice as the ones above. If memory serves last time I purchased them they were only about $25.00/each.

Mike.

Okay then. I will order that mount for now... I do not have a lathe guys... can't make those cool tools in my garage... I am just starting here... :)

Back