Muzzle brake

Expansion chambers don't work at all. The large gap in the middle lets the gas bypass the bullet and escape the muzzle before the bullet does. The basic premise is to redirect the gas into a neutral direction, which would be 90 degrees to the bore. The expansion rate of the gas is approx 4700 fps, well past the speed of the bullet, so it will always find a way around it, especially if an expansion chamber is longer than the bearing surface of the bullet.

What's the difference between an expansion chamber in a rifle brake vs a chamber in a pistol compensator? Curious, as I know for a fact (as do many others) that compensators do work on pistols.

As far as I know, an expansion chamber needs to be used in conjunction with porting to do anything.

I'm curious as to what would work as I make these things but haven't tried them out yet . Are you saying the bore of the brake should remain .020 oversize the length of the brake ? :dunno: Look up a few posts and this is the style I've been making . Like I said , I haven't shot the gun with them on yet , so I don't know what to expect .

I loosely made this comp from the only one on the market that works for a PCC as there is very little gas available with a 16"barrel in 9mm Luger. Notice the high walls and big ports for gas scavenging.
15606443214211781322544.jpg15606443640951041428498.jpg

This one is for my 3gun Ar15 chambered in .223. It is more of a conventional muzzle brake. This gun has almost no recoil due to the brake (mostly) an adjustable gas block and light weight reciprocating parts.
15606446703763545350.jpg1560644717242300642373.jpg

So is that bore consistant thru the brake or is it closer to the ID threads ?

EDIT . Duh , I can see from the pics . :grin:

Back