Muzzle brake

shell70634

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm going to bore holes 90 degrees to the bore of my 45-70 super 14 contender barrel to form a muzzle brake. My question is: If I bore the holes thru the barrel and then ream them to final size, will I still have burrs in the bore? I know I can send it out to have it ported by edm, but I would rather do this myself. Is there any other method to bore 90 degrees to the bore without burrs? There will be 6 rows of 4 each 3/16 holes beginning 1/2 inch from the muzzle and spaced 3/8 inch apart.

I understand it would be easier to thread the barrel and make a screw on brake but that's not what I want to do. I could also buy a new barrel with a built in brake but I spent all my money on lathe, mill, and tooling so I can't afford it.

That's simple. I guess I was over thinking it. I'll just fill the muzzle brake area with lead.

Thanx
Shelly

I’d just reach in with a boring bar an how much larger are you going to ream the brake section of the barrel and how deep

I was planning on leaving the rifling as it currently is. Just vent before the muzzle.

You'll find that venting the barrel like you say will only yield about 10% in recoil reduction.

I start the holes with a normal drill, but do the break through plunge with a ball end mill. A couple of rounds down the barrel and everything is good. :)

Even if there are no burrs around the holes, the edges will be very sharp and scrape the bullets.
I think that you will have to open up the bore slightly (say .020'') in the area of the brake holes to avoid that.

Back