Muzzle brake

That style is the most effective for recoil reduction, not to mention better noise control. It would be 100 times easier to make this and thread on the barrel. Make the bore .020" larger than bullet dia.

Just curious, but why such a large bore?

The 45-70 is an extremely versatile cartridge if you are a handloader. The only way imo one would benefit from the discussed mods would be with light bullets and shotgun and pistol powders. Magna Port style venting and a well designed brake would be the most effective.

If you are not a handloader and are shooting rifle ammo in a 10 or 14" Contender performance will be underwhelming.

My 2 cents.

I handload. 12.5 gr Unique behind a 390 grain cast bullet. Fun low recoil shooter. 14.5 with same bullet in my 1895

I have several 45-70's..cast 350 to 550 gr.bullets.use several powders.trailboss.unique.5744.3031.4198.Rx7 depending on application .from ez to not so ez.not so thrilled on the bruised shoulder any more..low recoil loads get the nod most days.

My experience with a swedish auto rifle.......the holes for the brake were very much smaller ,and a lot more of them......I think with the big holes,four holes would vent most of the gas,and rest be wasted.............there once was a device called a Pendleton,and the holes were similar to the Swede.

I'm going to bore holes 90 degrees to the bore of my 45-70 super 14 contender barrel to form a muzzle brake...
I don't see how this can work. If the idea is to reduce recoil, it means that to counteract rearward movement of the rifle, the exhaust has to propel the rifle forward. The only way that can happen is for the above holes to be bored at a rear-leaning angle. What am I missing?

I don't see how this can work. If the idea is to reduce recoil, it means that to counteract rearward movement of the rifle, the exhaust has to propel the rifle forward. The only way that can happen is for the above holes to be bored at a rear-leaning angle. What am I missing?
You are not wrong, but the biggest thing that people are missing is that the 45-70 is not your average rifle cartridge. The bullet is so heavy and slow moving that ALL of the recoil will already be in your hands BEFORE the bullet leaves the barrel. Unless you are shooting some very specialized handloads any kind of muzzle device will have very little if any effect on recoil.

This is what I had in mind except built into barrel.

View attachment 284690
I wonder if it will be effective with rifling all the way to muzzle.

This is a very effective brake, not as effective as a clamshell style, but also not nearly as obnoxious. This is either a Vais or Vais copy. I've made several of these and am currently working on one with an integrated tuner. You're going to have a real hard time drilling the bolt circle if you plan on doing this to the end of the barrel, I'm not exactly how you would? You will most definitely want to run a boring bar through it after the cross holes are drilled, everything I've read indicates .020" overbore is safe and the most effective. I would also be a little concerned how much material is left after your done machining, there may not be enough to withstand the pressure of the gases being vented.

There is no way I would do this to the barrel, I would thread the barrel and make the brake as a separate piece.

Back