MX-210V (8X16) mini lathe tooling size questions

Reporter

Registered
Registered
Have a MX-210V mini lathe ordered and can't locate any info on what size tooling the mini uses. Will not be changing the tool holder and would like to order a 7 piece indexable tool cutting set. Need to order a knurling tool also.

Also: Do I need a "short" MT2 arbor chuck to work efficiently in the tailstock or will a standard length arbor work in the MX210V?

Thanks

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
I would start with high speed steel not insert carbide. On a small machine high speed steel is your friend. It's not hard to grind with a standard bench grinder. A good place to start is the article here on grinding a high speed steel bits. An inexpensive book that is available used is How To Run A Lathe by South Bend. It an older book but the basics are still the same. Many thanks too the members that put a lot of work into the lathe tool grinding article.

Reporter

Registered
Registered
Thanks for the info...I was hoping someone with a MX-210V (8x16) could answer my initial questions.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Is this set close to what you're looking for?

Just in case you decide on HSS :

As far as 2MT drill chuck goes you don't absolutely need a short arbor but often mini lathes can benefit from any short bits, drill bits, short arbors , etc. you won't regret having a short 2mt arbor chuck.

Weldingrod1

Registered
Registered
Might consider an ER collet chuck for drilling. I'm going to set up my FRC kids lathe with two of them. One each for 1/4-20 and 10-32 tsp drills. Much shorter than the huge keyless they have now!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Weldingrod1

Registered
Registered
Oh, and mt2 center drill holders and some mt2 drills...
6265b7592a5c8db1a9d09aad0dfd5a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reporter

Registered
Registered
Thanks guys...for addressing my questions. I have a LMS mini mill with R8 tooling. Also have a Rockwell 11X48 lathe with HSS tooling - but it's in an unheated area in my barn. The MX-210V will be in my heated shop next to the LMS mini mill and is suited for my small Winter projects.

GrumpyGrandpa

Registered
Registered
Have a MX-210V mini lathe ordered and can't locate any info on what size tooling the mini uses. Will not be changing the tool holder and would like to order a 7 piece indexable tool cutting set. Need to order a knurling tool also.

Also: Do I need a "short" MT2 arbor chuck to work efficiently in the tailstock or will a standard length arbor work in the MX210V?

Thanks
I am a newbie with MX210V. I don't know what is considered a "short or standard" arbor but i did have an arbor that had a tang on it that I had to cut off. I have several others that I have gotten from eBay and Amazon and I don't remember any standard or short designation so I assume they are standard and they work fine. I ordered a MT1 center for the headstock and it was too long due to the fact that the spindle is not milled deep enough. I will have to cut that off. I hope this helps.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock