MX-210V (8X16) mini lathe tooling size questions

Reporter

Registered
Registered
Have a MX-210V mini lathe ordered and can't locate any info on what size tooling the mini uses. Will not be changing the tool holder and would like to order a 7 piece indexable tool cutting set. Need to order a knurling tool also.

Also: Do I need a "short" MT2 arbor chuck to work efficiently in the tailstock or will a standard length arbor work in the MX210V?

Thanks

I would start with high speed steel not insert carbide. On a small machine high speed steel is your friend. It's not hard to grind with a standard bench grinder. A good place to start is the article here on grinding a high speed steel bits. An inexpensive book that is available used is How To Run A Lathe by South Bend. It an older book but the basics are still the same. Many thanks too the members that put a lot of work into the lathe tool grinding article.

Thanks for the info...I was hoping someone with a MX-210V (8x16) could answer my initial questions.

Is this set close to what you're looking for?

Just in case you decide on HSS :

As far as 2MT drill chuck goes you don't absolutely need a short arbor but often mini lathes can benefit from any short bits, drill bits, short arbors , etc. you won't regret having a short 2mt arbor chuck.

Might consider an ER collet chuck for drilling. I'm going to set up my FRC kids lathe with two of them. One each for 1/4-20 and 10-32 tsp drills. Much shorter than the huge keyless they have now!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh, and mt2 center drill holders and some mt2 drills...
6265b7592a5c8db1a9d09aad0dfd5a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...for addressing my questions. I have a LMS mini mill with R8 tooling. Also have a Rockwell 11X48 lathe with HSS tooling - but it's in an unheated area in my barn. The MX-210V will be in my heated shop next to the LMS mini mill and is suited for my small Winter projects.

Have a MX-210V mini lathe ordered and can't locate any info on what size tooling the mini uses. Will not be changing the tool holder and would like to order a 7 piece indexable tool cutting set. Need to order a knurling tool also.

Also: Do I need a "short" MT2 arbor chuck to work efficiently in the tailstock or will a standard length arbor work in the MX210V?

Thanks
I am a newbie with MX210V. I don't know what is considered a "short or standard" arbor but i did have an arbor that had a tang on it that I had to cut off. I have several others that I have gotten from eBay and Amazon and I don't remember any standard or short designation so I assume they are standard and they work fine. I ordered a MT1 center for the headstock and it was too long due to the fact that the spindle is not milled deep enough. I will have to cut that off. I hope this helps.

Back