My 11" Rockwell

Cbacres

Registered
Registered
You may of read in another thread about my search for a lathe, well search is over. I bought a Rockwell 11" , model 25-100 lathe the other day and brought it home last week.Included is a 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick release tool post with various tool holders, steady rest, turret attachment, live and dead centers, Jacobs chuck, hand full of bits, older style tool holders and an assortment of wrenches. A collet closer is also in the mix. The motor is a three phase and I've ordered a Teco converter wih VFD.
The seller says it sat for the past ten years, and I'd have to say the condition supports that. Everything seems to move and engage fine. Needs a good cleaning and lube job. I can't wait to get the converter so I can fire up and really check it out.
The one mistake I made I didn't take the headstock cover off. I rotated the spindle by hand and everything sounded fine. When I removed the cover, I discovered the bull gear and the bevel gear to the left of it are missing teeth. Guess I screwed up by not finding this before I bought. Well, it's sitting in my shop now and I'll jus have to move forward with it.
Ive been posting over on the Yahoo group and received some good feed back. Some ideas are buying the repair gears from Plaza, welding and filling new teeth or see if I can buy a couple of gears.
I believe all else is ok, the shaft on the quick change box may need bushings/bearings. I've been told I can use as is, just won't have the reduction. My be what I do for a while. A welder at work said he could weld it and we could dremel and file new teeth, I may go that route, don't have much to loose.
Love to hear your comments and any help would be appreciated .
Craig
imagejpg5-1.jpg
imagejpg1-5.jpg
imagejpg2-4.jpg
imagejpg3-4.jpg

imagejpg3-5.jpg
imagejpg4-2.jpg
imagejpg2-5.jpg
imagejpg1-6.jpg

Rockwells are nice machines, my11x24 is waiting for a restore, im missing the same teeth on my gears. I just moved mine to a new location in the shop today=-O. Good luck with yours, looks like a great machine.

Signing on to follow.

I hope you are as lucky in finding parts as I was. They're out there, but expensive.

You'll have a nice lathe when it's done.

A few photos to whet your appetite. :))

2014-04-10_16-24-24_786.jpg 2014-04-10_16-23-58_559.jpg 2014-04-10_16-23-45_821.jpg

Tony, that's a nice job, hopefully I won't have a ton of parts to replace. I'm glad you and richl bought a 11" recently before I did, so now I have a decent guide.
Thanks Steve.
Im waiting on the phase converter/VFD so I can get it fired off. I just want to get it going and check out everything else to see where I'm at.

Its Memorial Day weekend, hopefully I'll remember that i didn't find a lot of major parts to replace.
Thanks.
Craig

In the "New to me Logan 820" thread (a couple of posts further down the list), I had the same problem with the bull gear missing teeth, and successfully welded and sculpted 3 new teeth on it. I briefly outlined the procedure I used, and the results. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. You can get your machine up and running, and shop for a used replacement gear at your leisure.

IMAG0065.jpg

GG

IMAG0065.jpg

Joe at Plaza machinery might have the headstock parts you need, just do a search for him. He only works off of email. Tim

You may of read in another thread about my search for a lathe, well search is over. I bought a Rockwell 11" , model 25-100 lathe the other day and brought it home last week.Included is a 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick release tool post with various tool holders, steady rest, turret attachment, live and dead centers, Jacobs chuck, hand full of bits, older style tool holders and an assortment of wrenches. A collet closer is also in the mix. The motor is a three phase and I've ordered a Teco converter wih VFD.
The seller says it sat for the past ten years, and I'd have to say the condition supports that. Everything seems to move and engage fine. Needs a good cleaning and lube job. I can't wait to get the converter so I can fire up and really check it out.
The one mistake I made I didn't take the headstock cover off. I rotated the spindle by hand and everything sounded fine. When I removed the cover, I discovered the bull gear and the bevel gear to the left of it are missing teeth. Guess I screwed up by not finding this before I bought. Well, it's sitting in my shop now and I'll jus have to move forward with it.
Ive been posting over on the Yahoo group and received some good feed back. Some ideas are buying the repair gears from Plaza, welding and filling new teeth or see if I can buy a couple of gears.
I believe all else is ok, the shaft on the quick change box may need bushings/bearings. I've been told I can use as is, just won't have the reduction. My be what I do for a while. A welder at work said he could weld it and we could dremel and file new teeth, I may go that route, don't have much to loose.
Love to hear your comments and any help would be appreciated .
Craig
imagejpg5-1.jpg
imagejpg1-5.jpg
imagejpg2-4.jpg
imagejpg3-4.jpg

imagejpg3-5.jpg
imagejpg4-2.jpg
imagejpg2-5.jpg
imagejpg1-6.jpg
I have one just like this one. You will like this lathe.

I would like a picture of your turret tailstock, I may need dimensions to make the one I have work. Tim

Back