My 11" Rockwell

Astjp2, I'll get some pictures of the turret.
I set up the Teco VFD/ converter and powered up it up. I actually made some chips today.
everything seems to work, there be some adjusting, a couple bearings/bushings to replace. The only big issue today was a vibration that I think is coming from the belts. I think the belts have set spots in them from not being used for so long. I can feel it in the speed control handle. I also need to adjust the handle, it wont stay in place.The motor is good, no noise or heat after running for a while.
The VFD is really neat, all kinds of stuff you can do with it. I'm using the reversing switch that came with the lathe for now, but may set up something different later.
I have a bull gear coming and will weld and file the teeth back on he pully gear.
I'm going to continue going through and see where I'm at. I intend to repair/replace items as I go along. I'll do a rehab later on.

What is everyone using for oil and grease on these machines?

Thanks
imagejpg2-6.jpg
imagejpg1-7.jpg

Waylube 68. no grease afaik, Vactra2 is an equivalent oil. Tim

After my research, here's what I came up with as equivalents (or better) than the oils/grease originally specified:

ISO 68 20-weight Mobil Vactra #2, for oil points 1 (daily) and 2 (every 50 hours)
Mobilith SHC 220 for the headstock bearings - point #3 (every 200 hours)
80-90wt gear oil for the end gears, bull gear, and pulley gear - point #4 (as needed)

McMaster-Carr has them all for reasonable prices (of course you can get the gear oil anywhere). One person has recommended to me a spray chain lube grease in place of the gear oil, saying it stays in place better, yet does not hold swarf like heavier grease does.

Make sure you lube both the pulley gear and the backgear shaft internally, via the ball-oilers, with the Vactra #2 (oil point #2 on the chart). You will have to get an oiler with a long neck to reach the zerk on the backgear shaft. This is supposed to be done every 50 hours.

-rockwell lathe_lubrication.jpg

-rockwell lathe_lubrication.jpg

I would like a picture of your turret tailstock, I may need dimensions to make the one I have work. Tim
Astjp2, here is some pictures. Let me know if you need any measurements. Thank for the oil info?
Excuse the shop, I'm in the middle of a addition to the front and then came across this lathe. At least with the lathe in the middle of the main aisle , it prompted my son to clean up some. Too many projects.
imagejpg1-8.jpg
imagejpg3-6.jpg
imagejpg4-3.jpg
imagejpg2-7.jpg
imagejpg5-2.jpg

Last edited:
After my research, here's what I came up with as equivalents (or better) than the oils/grease originally specified:

ISO 68 20-weight Mobil Vactra #2, for oil points 1 (daily) and 2 (every 50 hours)
Mobilith SHC 220 for the headstock bearings - point #3 (every 200 hours)
80-90wt gear oil for the end gears, bull gear, and pulley gear - point #4 (as needed)

McMaster-Carr has them all for reasonable prices (of course you can get the gear oil anywhere). One person has recommended to me a spray chain lube grease in place of the gear oil, saying it stays in place better, yet does not hold swarf like heavier grease does.

Make sure you lube both the pulley gear and the backgear shaft internally, via the ball-oilers, with the Vactra #2 (oil point #2 on the chart). You will have to get an oiler with a long neck to reach the zerk on the backgear shaft. This is supposed to be done every 50 hours.

View attachment 77552
Tony, thank for oil tutor.
i was reading your post on your 11", I feel like I'm following you, just six months later. Even though it may seem the condition of the lathe is stacked against me, it's mine and I'm not ready to even think about parting it out unless some extreme problem is found. I'm no big hurry to get it done. It's just about usable as is for the basic work I bought it for.
i ran it some more today, it's getting smoother. I found the shaft for the variable speed bracket was not tight and was moving. Tightened it and it was a lot smoother, but still some vibration.

Shot it with a infrared gun also, all the bearings that I could get a beam on was right at 103 degrees. He hottest point was the lower vari belt.

Ill get there.
Craig

Yeah, that's the way I started feeling, once the initial disappointment wore off. I'm sure I could have used mine like it was, but if I had done that I probably never would have done the rebuild. I'm glad I just dove in and did it.

I'll keep up with your rebuild, as I'm sure Tim will, so feel free to ask any questions. I doubt you'll run into anything we didn't encounter, except, of course the broken gear teeth.

Think of me as the cattle prod your parents never wanted you to play with:whistle:

Back