My 1st engine - a simple wobbler

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve been thinking about doing a little model making lately and decided to take the plunge with one of Mr. Pete’s wobblers. Since this is my first one, I decided to give it to my grandson. Now, he’s way too young to appreciate a simple toy like this and since it doesn’t take batteries or have buttons I don’t think he’ll be too impressed by it. But, hopefully, in years to come, it will become a keepsake (if it survives that long) and he will think about his grandpa Ted when he looks at it (and maybe even runs it a little).

With the potential of becoming a keepsake I added some of my own twists on Mr. Pete’s original design. I put a lot more work and finishing into it than he did in his videos on making his. I gussied it up a little. I machined the connecting rod out of a solid piece instead of a two piece like his and put two tiny oil grooves in the piston because I read that this will not only help with lubrication but also act as quasi rings for aiding compression. Runs great! Runs nice and smooth at 2-3 psi and I don’t dare run it over ~8 psi for fear of self destruction. As he states in his video, you can email a fellow named Toly and he will send you a nice set of drawings for it.

I didn’t want to paint it since all surfaces were machined and/or ground on my surface grinder and looked very nice as finished. But, I knew that the steel parts would rust with handling so I bought a Testors paint set and painted those. Not the best paint job in the world; I’m not a very good painter.

It also gave me an opportunity to use a couple of the features on my new DRO for my Bridgeport. I used the circular hole pattern for the fly wheel and the radius function for rounding the top of the upright. Both did a nice job!

The last finishing touch was the piece of cherry for the base. I don’t do much wood working although my dad gave me all of his wood working tools and machines, so I do hope to get into that more in the future.

Fun little project! Maybe I'll try a double acting wobbler next???
Ted

IMG_20181121_121855.jpgIMG_20181121_121726.jpgIMG_20181121_121756.jpgIMG_20181121_121812.jpgIMG_20181121_121828.jpgIMG_20181121_122047.jpg

I like the color, if you had painted the flywheel yellow it would look like a John Deere

I like the color, if you had painted the flywheel yellow it would look like a John Deere

Hahaha, that's why I didn't paint it yellow! I said the same thing to my wife. After all, I've got a Kubota! ;)

Ted

I built the same one after watching Tubalcain's video. Now I'm working on a Stuart 10v. Mr. Pete's videos are so well done.

Back