My 2013 Project

DavidL

Active User
Registered
This is a model steam engine after the style of a 19th century Horizontal Mill engine. The design is by Stan Bray (Model engineering UK) modified to suit my skills. At my age handling anything smaller than an M3 bolt is difficult. Basic material is aluminium with BMS steel shafting and connecting rods. Bearings are brass inserts. My challenge was to use studs and nuts for a more realistic appearance. This is also the first project using my homemade DRO and X table power drive on my tiny X1 Seig Mill. The improved accuracy I achieved with the DRO was awesome. P1300030.JPGP5200042.JPGP5200045.JPG

P1300030.JPG P5200042.JPG P5200045.JPG

Very nice! I have a friend who wants to build an engine but won't get at it. We are not wanting for tooling but lacking motivation.

Perhaps you can share more of the build?

Steve

Great job, that's a very good looking engine!

Thanks mate. I started machining about four years ago. I was 72 and about to retire and had always wanted to pursue this hobby, but one's career got in the way. This engine completes a series of three Victorian style models all machined from stock - no castings. My next challenge is a hit and miss IC engine basically following the design by David Kerzel. Lots of good fun for an old guy!!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice! I have a friend who wants to build an engine but won't get at it. We are not wanting for tooling but lacking motivation.

Perhaps you can share more of the build?

Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the compliment. I did not take photos of the build process on this job - only the ones I posted. I do have a whole sequence of photos showing the manufacture of an earlier engine - my 2011 project. If you like I could post the presentation of this build that I made for some friends of mine.
DavidL

Very nice job on your project. That red paint is especially well done, it still looks wet! Bravo!

Back