My 5" scale steamroller project

Allen

Active User
Registered
This is a long term tale with many false starts, revisions, and even some total stupidity. One nice thing about freescale building is no matter how many changes you make, it's still "right".
P9140001.jpg

Way back in 1997, I decided my final project from welding school would be a miniature boiler. I spent a goodly chunk of change on materials that came with the ASME paperwork, got a set of 1993 ASME code books and did ALL the calculations - even the conflicting ones. Performed multiple destructive testing if EVERY joint set-up. AND passed my ASME welder testing. The result was a boiler the calculations said was good for 400psi (the minimum sheet thickness is .370!), but fit under EVERY part of Section I part PMB (100psi limit) Overkill? Not to the wonderful Communewealth of Pennsyltucky. They refuse to inspect it. The excuses keep changing. From, "I'm sure it's safe, but I'm not going to be the first guy to sign off on it." to "How do I know you did the calculations correctly?" to "The sheets aren't stamped with the paperwork numbers." (Btw MODEL boilers are NOT required to be stamped, as per part PMB).... Ohio OTOH doesn't bother anybody with barrels under 16". Since I can't fix bureaucratic stupid, when this is done, I'll just show it in Ohio and "T'ell wid" PA.

Anyway, the dimensions on the boiler are very close to 1/3 of my 25HP 20th Century (the barrel is 10" schedule 40, and 4 feet long the barrel of the 20th Century is 29" in diameter), but with a standard firebox (A full size Miller firebox is big enough of a maintenance headache!). I originally had a Carter steam car engine in mind and was going to make a model 20th Century. But the engine deal fell through, and never found a nearly complete Mason that I could afford.
P8080001.jpg

Somewhere around '99 or Y2K I was at the Cabin Fever Expo in York, Pa as a vendor. I got a brief break and saw HALF of a Mason in the consignment area. At $800 it wasn't much of a "deal" so it was still there at the end of the show. But I decided to take a chance on it, anyway.
P8060003.jpg

About 18 months later ANOTHER partial half Mason showed up on fleabay. Unfortunately, it was the same half. Fortunately, it had a complete Stephenson's reverse! I took off the reverse parts I needed off and resold the rest... for about $200 more than I paid - also thereby reducing the cost of MY engine to a less cringeworthy $600 in the process!
P8060006.jpg
P8060017.jpg

So now I had a boiler, and an engine. What I didn't have was a place to work, or money to spend. I was blindsided with a "trial" separation, then divorce papers soon after. Everything went into what I HOPED would be short term storage. But I was wrong. It wouldn't be until 2009 that I would again be in any position to return to it. That summer I happened to see an estate auction in the Farm and Dairy paper. It listed a BUNCH of old tractors and parts. I didn't have much money, but it sounded like a nice afternoon of free amusement anyway. In one of those seredipitous moments, I ended up coming home with this lump of "scrap" for the princely sum of $25
P6270003.jpg

A roller it would be!

But it would still be another year, and yet another move, before anything much got underway. Since I hadn't done any extra calculations to mount stuff directly to the boiler (They weren't needed for the original undermounted plan) I decided the easiest way to proceed would be mounting the boiler on a frame.
P8120002.jpg
P9010001.jpg
P9020005.jpg

Unfortunately, the size of the front roll also entailed other revisions. As in larger rear wheels. My original cute little 1/3 scale would end up being more or less a small-boilered half scale. A family friend was scrapping out some old stuff and told me I could have a set of old manure spreader wheels for less that $30 (He eventually decided $10 and some zucchini was a good trade!). Plans eventually call for grinding the rivets that hold the strakes on and having a pair of bands rolled.... But we'll probably just remove the strakes and bolt on some belting this fall.
P7060011.jpg
P9060001.jpg

The engine would also be mounted to the frame, rather than the boiler (something like what Frick did back in the day) It would have to be a fairly open mount to allow easy inspection of the stays, so plate was out. Channel would have to do.
P9100004.jpg

I had gathered up a 3/4" Gardner governor way back in '97. It's much too large for the half mason (a 3/8" or 1/2" would be better), but it was here, and, even better, replacement parts are still available!
P6270002.jpg
P9140003.jpg

A new set of springs and weights only cost $45!

The steering gear would have to be fabricated. This worm set came from the Coolspring show for about $8, the shafting was a bit of stuff scrounged from the same place i got the rear wheels.
P9120001.jpg

The steering wheel I found at Rough & Tumble (Sometimes it was good to have a business that sent you to the engine shows)
P9120005.jpg

A fall test fire showed a problem with draft, especially when cold. It looks like a steamup fan, taller stack, and hardwoods and hard coal, lump charcoal, or find decent plans for a kerosene burner are in order.
PA100001.jpg

Shortly afer that winter set in and work on this would stop for another 20 months.
PC010052.jpg

I never did find gears, but I found a pair of largish #60 sprockets for $10. During one Portersville show, Ed Phillips re-bored them to fit the 2" rear axle as a demonstration in the club's 1880s machine shop.
PA020027.jpg
P1010009_01.jpg

Our place was sold, and the new landlord didn't think much of my "lawn ornament", so it had to be moved once again. A friend agreed to haul it over to the showgrounds at Portersville, which ignited another round of ambition to get it at least presentable for the club's 50th show.

I did some more work on the engine mountings, including a support for the Mason's reverse lift bar.
P1010008_01.jpg

and a better mount for the cool looking cast iron top steering bracket.
P1010010_01.jpg

Then another family friend donated a dog clutch that he had been 'seasoning' in his shed for about 30 years.
P1010011_01.jpg
P1010009_01-1.jpg

Which required a new crank be fabbed. it's 3/4" on one end to fit the engine and 1-1/4 on the other for the clutch and flywheel. If it looks amatuerish, well it WAS only the 3rd time that I ever ran a lathe! The jury is still out on adding a 3rd bearing for extra support to do beltwork.
P1010007.jpg
P1010025_01.jpg

A bit of cleaning up, and the spacer collars from the manure spreader worked beautifully to retain the rear wheels.
P1010027_01.jpg

A coon's age ago I found a differential out of some sort of riding mower (Jacobsen?) It had a 32 tooth #45 sprocket, so I bored a 40 tooth #40 to fit. It'll be heavy enough to work if I don't try to pull a road grader.
P1010015_01.jpg

A trip to the Ashtabula show at Wayne, Ohio yielded these stainless hotdog cart coolers. The look nearly perfect, but I nearly talked myself out of them 3 times because the guy was firm on having $50 for them.
P1010008.jpg

Now comes another stupidity bit. I spent almost 3 weeks trying to figure out how to cut the hole in the side of the smokebox (Hole saw, cutting torch, or??) when the answer was simple and closeby all the time.... One afternoon I was sitting there looking at it when suddenly I realized/remembered that the smokebox was just BOLTED ON... as Homer says, "D'oh!"

4 bolts out and a trip up to the machine shop, and...
P1010037.jpg

Of course the exhaust line just HAD to be a weird length, but luckily the club has a nice Ridgid pipe vice and threaders. (no it's not galvanized, it was painted grey a long time ago, but never used)
P1010033.jpg
P1010038.jpg

Unfortunately, somebody then decided it made a perfect crap catcher, so it was kind of buried DURING the show. I was busy elsewhere and didn't see all the junk until late Saturday.

When will it be finished? It's been 15 years already, what's your hurry? lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats going to be nice when you get it finished, Great write up and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Now that's a cool project! The guys at our Long Island Antique Power Association (a local hit and miss, antique tractor, model engine, farm equipment, etc club) would get a real kick out of this! I can't wait to see it finished myself!

A video of her steaming along would be the piece de resistance!

John

Awesome project. Keep the progress updates coming please.

Wow Thanks for the post! This is really true hobby work. Great write up and pictures of a project of love.

Steve

thanks for sharing
I admire your persistence
I am very fond of steam engines myself
keep us posted
steve

Finally, another mini-update - Today I built the front roll scraper. It may not look like a major project, but it took me almost 4 hours! This is one of those parts that has to be slightly oversized for durability's sake.

The first step was to make the 2 actual scraper bars. Some 1/8" x 2" strap welded to a piece of 1-1/4" pipe. Getting the amperage right so the 6010 rods would neither stick, nor burn through was a bit tricky with the ancient Forney AC box I was using!
P9110001.jpg

Then the 2" channel side brackets were welded to one of the scraper bars.
P9110002.jpg

Set in place and welded to the roll bracket
P9110003.jpg

And finally the front scraper bar was welded in place and the sides were cut to length.
P9110005.jpg

By this time I'd lost the light.

P9110001.jpg

P9110002.jpg

P9110003.jpg

P9110005.jpg

Today was a day to make what looked like a lot of headway just because the pieces were huge. I was looking for 3/16 sheet to make these two platform sides, but I found some 1/4" plate at a really good price. I decided to use solid pieces instead of open bracework for one very good reason - I didn't want kids getting tangled up in the driveline. Since I had good sturdy plate, I decided that the best way to mount the countershaft would be to drill the upper front corner and mount flange bearings. It took me about 2 hours to lay out and drill all the holes. One of them had to be 1-1/2" in diameter to clear the differential (so the chains line up). It was probably a good thing I had access to the machine shop at the showgrounds!
P9130001.jpg

The left side also got the 1-1/2" bore hand pump mounted before getting welded in place.
P9130002.jpg

Clamped in place and ready to weld.
P9130003.jpg

The actual top side welding took about 20 minutes. I'll need to pull the rear wheels to do the lower welds. After that I'll mount the countershaft

P9130001.jpg

P9130002.jpg

P9130003.jpg

Yesterday I spent a whole day working on this. Well, more like work a bit, sit and think, spend a goodly while digging around trying to find where you just set down the part you need, sit and rest, err, daydream, err, think again, then work a bit more. Part of the reason I'm on disability is I gotta "think" so much.... I'm like a young old geezer.

A quick mock up of the hotdog cooler bunkers to get an idea of how to proceed..
P9140001-1.jpg

A start on the support framework - I used up what angle stock I had along... Good thing there's a bit more in the shed.
P9140015.jpg

With the coolers temporarily set back in place it's starting to look real good
P9140013.jpg

This bit of leftover manure spreader steering axle bracket will perform a very important function... helping to keep the front roll from trying to fold on rough ground
P9140012.jpg

Since it started to thunder I decided the wisest course was to disconnect the welder. So I spent a bit painting the front roll bracket black... Unfortunately, the can of Rustoleum had frozen at some point, so it was kind of like painting with pudding.
P9140016.jpg

After the rain stopped I added this brace made from a leftover short bit from the scraper bracket. I doubted the bearing mounted in the plate is gonna move, but the engine bracket was a different story.
P9140014.jpg

And yes, I also assembled and installed the differential (often referred to as a "compensating gear in the old literature) - good thing I was planning on relocating that injector anyway...
P9140017.jpg

I ran out of light and it was starting to rain again, so that's as far as I got. And today I HURT.

P9140001-1.jpg

P9140015.jpg

P9140013.jpg

P9140012.jpg

P9140016.jpg

P9140014.jpg

P9140017.jpg

Today was sort of a half day. And I got a lot less done than I wanted to. I probably spent 3 hours plus just trying to re-route the injector lines. Mixing and matching various length pipe nipples to get things to line up. Two are done, leaving just the suction line to figure out... and all the hand pump lines.
P9170001.jpg
P9170002.jpg

I made a bracket for an outboard bearing on the countershaft since I wasn't sure about 3" sticking out unsupported.
P9170004.jpg

Well, the coolers still aren't fastened down, but they are nearly ready to. I need to cut a few bits yet, but all the teeth wore off the sawzall blade I was using.I threw a quick base coat of paint on the rear end even though it isn't finished because I needed to use up the end of the grey.
P9170003.jpg

Once again I ran out of light. Now It'll probably be Friday before I get back to it again.

P9170001.jpg

P9170002.jpg

P9170004.jpg

P9170003.jpg

Back