My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

Pour a bucket of water through the louvers in front of the windshield. If the carpet stays dry good. If the carpet gets soaked or the owner pitches a screaming fit before you can dump the bucket, RUN AWAY! A rusty cowl will set you back several grand in rust repair.

I'm a 67-68 mustang fan(nut)..if you can do cowl repair yourself it won't be too expensive..500 plus a lot of time..I'm doing the cowl on a 67 I've had since 87..along with floorboards..another couple hundred..if cowls leaking you're gonna need floorboards..fiberglass hood needs some love..good luck with your decision..it could be a nice ride..

Asm and lordbreezer beat me to it. Mustangs are known for having rust in the cowl due to plugged drains. Check the cowl and where the front sub-frame connects to the floor pan.

Price doesn't look too out of line to me. In NY, we seem to pay a premium for everything though.

When I buy used vehicles, I'll go with cash in my pocket and offer to pay on the spot. The seller is usually a lot more flexible on the price.

Well I definitely have cash.

I've emailed, texted, left voicemail and no response. I'm not going to try again. I absolutely hate people that list something and don't respond.

I'm also looking at a big block mopar and the guy listed it then went on a 2 week hunting trip. You think he would have waited until he got back to list it.

Another one is a 64 el camino for $8k. Really nice original car down to the hub caps, but its white. Both my wife and I don't like white cars. Seems like most of the caminos listed are white.

Patients is a virtue specially with the imbeciles you have do deal with on craigslist. Something good will come your way just hang in there and be ready when it's available with cash in hand.

Another one is a 64 el camino for $8k. Really nice original car down to the hub caps, but its white. Both my wife and I don't like white cars. Seems like most of the caminos listed are white.
Another way to look at it.......
Guy goes on a hunting trip to return home to find his wife listed his "one true love" for sale at a giveaway price!

Huh, I missed the part of the reply I was trying to QUOTE which was, "You think he would have waited until he got back to list it."

Well if my wife did that to me I'd be single again. But thankfully she indulges me in most of my hair brained sceems. She just went with me Saturday and sat in my booth all day st an old car swap meet where I selling my transmission mods. She actually enjoyed it. Well.......could be the $100 I gave to her to buy things. Got to keep them happy right?

I like the look of the Belevedere over the other cars we are looking at. But for the el camino I have lots of parts I can put in it, including a new 355 with ported heads. Might be too much for the power glide though. But I could put something in stronger right ;)

20191116_093203.jpg

Two different kinds of classic cars IMHO, survivors and projects.

If you want to do mods then buy something that's already been modified. This goes all the way from rusted out junk to fully rebuilt classics that have been altered to suit their owners desires. I'll also include over restored cars in this category, if anyone tells you about getting the "correct over-spray pattern" then it's in that category.

My favorites though are the survivors. The car that's been either maintained from the get go, or put in mothballs (up on blocks) for some period of time. I'd personally rather see a less than perfect car that is all original than one that's been tricked out to the gills.

Cars have all gotten dramatically better in the past 30 years; safer, better handling, longer lasting, and more efficient. You have to love the looks and everything else about old cars if you're buying one, almost everything else is just preference.

BTW, love that Mopar:cool:

Cheers,

1ohn

Back