My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

I'm pretty sure all hydroboost units have a strong return spring inside. i'm suspecting it may have trash inside and is keeping some circuit open. Strong return spring on brake and clutch pedals is always good idea. You can rig a coil spring for return easy.
At least you've experienced the time when you can buy parts from a speed shop, around here especially me with all unique vehicles everything is days even weeks wait or having to make it from scratch

@alloy

You must have made some progress since your last update. Inquiring minds want to know.

Have you got the brakes sorted out?

I'm still trying to sort out the hydroboost. I've just got in some fittings to attach a pressure gauge to the pressure line and see what the max psi is. I checked moving the steering lock to lock and with the wheel stationary there is virtually no pressure. Go full lock and it's just under 1500 psi. I'm going to see what it is just using the brakes. I talked to a guy that installs hydroboost units and he said it's a different animal than vacuum boosted brakes. He says they run from 1200 to 1500 psi. I've also read that the older sagnaw steering boxes like I have with higer pressure have no road feel at all. So after I check the pressure using just the brakes I'm going to use a kit I bought from burgesson to lower the pressure. The guy that has done the hydroboost units says I really can't diagnose hydroboost without driving the car. So am gonna drop the pressure and then work on getting the car drive able and then go back to the brakes.

Finally got the dash and my gauges worked out. Had to buy the expensive tach module to get the tach working. The wiring was my biggest challenge so far. I can easily wire my shop and have, but there was so much in putting the complete harness is it wasn't even funny. Especially mating it to the engine swap harness. The harness had a connector for the right door switch, but not the left. So the courtesy light only came on when I opened the right door. That was a lot of fun to fix. But now they come on with both doors. There were a number of other wiring problems, but it would take a long time to list them all. I have about 90% of them sorted out.

With replacing the new floor pans I have to figure out seat mounting positions and get them mounted. The car had some nissan bucket seats in it and the upholstery matched the rest of the car. I did pick up a bench seat and had intended to use it but it needs a rebuild and a new cover to match the rest of the interior. Was quoted $1200 to $1600 for that. Then since I'm using a T56 trans the shifter is back further that a stock manual trans car and doesn't clear the seat. They make a forward shift conversion for the T56, but that's another $400. So reluctantly I've decided to use the buckets. Had to take off the stock sliders on them because they were too high. I couldn't sit in the car and not have to bend my neck. I found some different tracks on ebay and had to adapt them to the seats. They are a little lower but I have to have the seat leaned back for my head to clear.

After I get the right hand seat mounted I'm going to put the carpets back in. And I'm thinking about some kind of hidden stereo. I have an old pioneer amp and need to buy some 6" x 9" speakers for the rear package tray. Unfortunately the package tray doesn't have any holes in it for the speakers, so one more thing to do.

After that I need to put the front sheet metal on. And I've been working my my car trailer to replace the lights and wiring and put a new brake away system on for the electric brakes. I want to use the trailer to haul the car up to Olympia and get the exhaust system made up for it. There is a shop up there that has a mandrel bender. I can't use an off the shelf system since I've moved the rear shock mounting positions.

A little at a time, piece by piece.

Last edited:
You've been busy. Lots of details.

Thanks for the update.

Many trim levels on Chevy trucks didn't include door switches, but everyone wants to add those now. Lotta folks find it humbling to wire those, even though on paper they're dead simple. ;-)

Many trim levels on Chevy trucks didn't include door switches, but everyone wants to add those now. Lotta folks find it humbling to wire those, even though on paper they're dead simple. ;-)
It certainly humbled me. Honestly it took me a week a couple of hours at a time to figure them out. The switches in the door provide a ground for the lights, so the light is fused hot all the time, and when either door opens the courtesy lights all come on. I could have wired them stand alone, but didn't want to hack up and add extra wiring to the $750 harness. American Autowire was no help with this.

I'm starting to get burned out on the project. For now I've been working on my car trailer rewiring it and adding new lights and a break away system. After looking at the existing wiring and counting well over 50 crimped butt connectors I just ripped it all out and ordered some new 4 conductor rubber jacketed wiring, and some 2 conductor for the brakes, and all new lights.

Eventually I'll have to tow the nova up to Olympia, WA for a new exhaust system, and somewhere for a front end alignment. Hopefully this winter sometime. I knew if I waited much longer the weather would get bad and didn't want to be laying under the trailer on gravel in the cold and rain. I'm about done with the trailer now. Need to go get a few more wire connectors and figure out why my brakes on one side don't work. I'll just probably run new wiring front the left to the right side brakes. The Dexter axles had wiring that run inside the axle to the other side, but it's over 25 years old and probably shot.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's a good idea through the axle, but I don't think there is a protective cover on the wires inside the axle. At least that's what I looks like to me.

I guess the person ran out of butt connectors and soldered the brake wires. Better than twisting them together.

20211015_151814.jpg

Well crap. It was going so well. All the wiring is done, everything works great. Even managed to keep the magic smoke in.

It was going so well I thought I'd pull the drums off and clean and repack the wheel bearings. That's what I get for thinking. Thinking is something a man should not do. Dean Jagger said that in the "12 o'clock high" movie as I recall.

Anyway, my replacement brake shoes will be here in 10 days :-(
20211018_121803.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_120956.jpg
    20211018_120956.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Back