My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

I did the same thing around 8 years ago on one of my fingers . Trying to put two air lines into a quik connect blindly and my finger gave out . Had a custom brace put on it for 8 weeks , and afterwards , the finger is still pointed down to this day at about a 30 degree angle . I also got bad news today , and this will not be any kind of a party . Wish you well .

I'm just venting I guess. Feeling sorry for myself. I have things I wanted to do, like attend a nova themed cruise in about 3 weeks away. I've got the only LS powered car in the group. I get tons of questions online about the swap, and I'm sure a lot more in person. Now it will be next year for me to go with the car.

Anyway I feel I'm very lucky for what I have. I saw others in rehab that had a stroke and I'm far better off than most of them, like the 25 year old that lost the use of both legs, one arm, and speech. I had great insurance that allowed me to attend rehab.

I truly hope you can overcome your bad news. I can say myself and everyone else on here will be pulling for you. If there is any way I can help please let me know. I'm not totally useless at this point, at least not yet.

Last edited:
Oh bummer dude! Hang in there. It will heal and you will back in the shop in no time.

Well I've decided that 3 days sitting on my ass is enough.

I am attempting working on putting the grill and front splash pan in, but it's very hard with one hand and 4 fingers on the other hand and keeping my thumb perfectly straight. I can't use my thumb for anything or I'll screw up the healing process. And I've discovered the biggest drawback of this is I can't swing a hammer with my left hand worth beans. But I have made a little progress.

I'm hoping to try and put the hood on, my wife will help me, but I'm not sure I should even try it with one hand.

Last edited:
And I've discovered the biggest drawback of this is I can't swing a hammer with my left hand worth beans.

.....putting your right hand (and maybe also your wife) in even more danger! ;)
-brino

Well I've decided that 3 days sitting on my ass is enough.

I am attempting working on putting the grill and front splash pan in, but it's very hard with one hand and 4 fingers on the other hand and keeping my thumb perfectly straight. I can't use my thumb for anything or I'll screw up the healing process. And I've discovered the biggest drawback of this is I can't swing a hammer with my left hand worth beans. But I have made a little progress.

I'm hoping to try and put the hood on, my wife will help me, but I'm not sure I should even try it with one hand.
I had a laugh, insensitive I know, with your transition from installing the grill and front splash pan to swinging a hammer. That's not a traditional tool for that installation :grin:

.....putting your right hand (and maybe also your wife) in even more danger! ;)
-brino
You did have to bring that up :-(
I also just figured out something else I can't do, get my hand into my bead blast cabinet.

Guess there will be more negotiations with my wife. I just learned we are going out to breakfast tomorrow with her son and his girlfriend.

I had a laugh, insensitive I know, with your transition from installing the grill and front splash pan to swinging a hammer. That's not a traditional tool for that installation :grin:
LOL I had the same thought but friendly words failed me.

@alloy
Let's see a picture of the brace.
Take care. The 8 weeks will pass.

LOL I had the same thought but friendly words failed me.

@alloy
Let's see a picture of the brace.
Take care. The 8 weeks will pass.
Ok, Laugh it up guys. I deserve it. With the crap the PO's did to the car, a hammer is the correct tool for 99% for any work on this car. The bigger the hammer, the better. The other appropriate tool would be a cutting torch, but thankfully I don't have one of those. But I could buy a plasma cutter. Hmmm..........new tool idea. I'm liking this way of thinking. I don't know exactly what I'd use it for, but a it's a new tool :grin:

The front splash pan is a fiberglass one, and it's total crap. I can (could) get a steel one, if anyone had them in stock. Still looking into that. I asked on the nova site if anyone they knew had a steel one in stock, and got several people asking to buy my my fiberglass one. So for now I'm stuck with what I've got. "Someone" made some support brackets for it, they are total junk, but for now they will work. Thankfully I can hide them with the bumper but definitely plan of making some more professional looking ones later. I know other than me (and you guys on here) will never see them, (unless you guys rat me out) but it's just knowing they are crap and they are there bothers me and I know I'm capable of making a lot better, but not at this moment unfortunately.

This hand thing is definitely cramping my style. But, I have to remember what I've had to overcome, and 6-8 weeks is a drop in the bucket so to speak, but I still hate being forced to sit on my butt. Especially since it's my fault I got hurt.

20211105_182242.jpg20211105_182211.jpg20211105_182305.jpg

Back