My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

I'm not sure if I overlooked flaws, I just assumed that the work that was done was done correctly. That's what I get for assuming.
Spot huh, I like that. Fits him perfectly. He's a chiropractor, he needs to stick to that.

Yes the harness will definitely be a challenge. I'm saving that wonderful task for later. I've got this idea to mount my alternator down low and the same with the power steering pump, so I'll have to rout the wires to the alternator to the new location. . Right now the alternator is mounted high on a truck accessory drive mount. I don't like where it's at even if the hood closed. I'm on a Nova forum and they told me you can't mount the alternator there. Well why can't I? They said the belt routing will be wrong. Who cares, as long as the alternator spins it will be just fine. Belts can be rerouted. I keep reminding them I'm a machinist with a machining center and various other machines at my disposal.. I think that last fact is lost on them. It is nice to be a hot rodder and machinist. I can dream it up as a hot rodder, and as a machinist make it happen.

My current focus is getting the old rear end out and replacing the spring bushings. To do this the front spring hangers have to be pulled out. And the nut plates all spun when I tried to get them out. So I need to carefully cut the head of the bolts out and see if I can make a new nut plate and slip in there somehow. Then I need to get the explorer disk brake setup on the axle and work out brake lines. I'm going braided lines. I can make those up myself. And I need to find a way to marry the GM brake cable to the ford ones. But doing things like this are challenges I enjoy solving.

Today unfortunately my work on the car stops for awhile. At 2pm today my wife goes in for hip replacement surgery. I don't know how much I'll be able to work on the car during my vacation. They say they will have her up and walking the same day, and possibly come home tomorrow. To me that is unbelievable.

This is how you conserve on cotter keys, cut it in half and use it twice.
20191208_155922.jpg20191125_174024.jpg
20191124_154529.jpg

Last edited:
Having had hip replacements I was walking the second day the day of surgery they put those pneumatic sleeves that squeeze your legs to prevent blood clots. And just give medication through the day. The next day you will be walking they don't mess around using a Walker then the next day your home. I went around the block at home with the Walker then just started walking on it. You need pain meds unfortunately but they allow you to put pressure on the hip so you can get going and the sooner you walk the better the outcome. I went to therapy for one day then went back to my gym and never looked back. They normally go in through the front this makes a huge difference they don't have to cut the glute muscle so faster recovery. She will be fine they got it down now. Good luck to both of you and Merry Christmas

I had a 69 Nova for about 11 years. I bought it new for less than $2,600.00. It had a 307 with a 3 speed stick on the floor. In the time I had it I put on 275,000 miles. I tried to get a few more miles out of it, but when the rear shocks came up through the floor into the trunk it seemed like a good time to send it to the scrap yard.

Best of luck with your wife's surgery, it's amazing what they can do with joint replacements these days. Not quite like swapping the rear end on a car but getting closer every year:)

Having a lift is wonderful for finding the hidden bits your DPO (dear, dreaded, damned previous owner) left for you. If it were me I'd probably try to get an original wire harness, or at least one designed for the car. Once you start adding up the connector cost you may find you'll be ahead unless you're replacing lots of stock electrical parts. Also, replacing the rear end is definitely the time to consider rear suspension mods, coil-overs anyone?

Once you start posting pictures of your parts on the Chevy forum you will start to get "orders" from other enthusiasts. It's not a bad way to supplement your car budget and you might even be able to write off a major portion of costs if your "business" starts making money. Check with your accountant on that one;)

Cheers,

John

The cotter pin and wiring mess are scary, but the most frightening picture is that Edelbrock carb topping off all that aluminum under the hood! have you considered EFI for driveability and pony power, or at least a Holley so you can dial out the stumbles, pops, and flat spots in the carburetor?

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure she will be fine. I think I'm more worried than she is.

Having a lift is much easier than before. Especially since I've reached the over 60 mark in life. I do hink I'll get orders for the T56 LS front plate modification. I have my biggest customer Pat Anaheim Gear that sells the plates new and he said he'd rather send the old ones to me for modification. So that in itself tells me there is a market for them.

I have considered getting a stock plug and play harness. Once I add up the cost that might be the best way to go. Not much modification should be needed for the LS engine since it runs off just a few wires from the electrical system for power. And hes I have considered an EFI unit. Not full blown OEM system but a throttle body unit. I've looked at the Holley system and FiTech. The Holley has better reviews. It' a little more, but seems like it would be worth it.

Well time to get cleaned up and head to the hospital. I'll have a few hours there to wait so I'll have the wheels in my head turning and thinking of things to do and make on the Nova. This car has given me purpose. I really enjoy thinking of things to do that others can't or say can't be done.

So I need these for the leaf spring hangers on the Nova. The OEM ones are $7.99 each. Seems expensive. If I knew the proper name for them I'd imagine they would be much less. in the commercial world instead of from GM. Need to be 3/8" x 16.

bracket nut.jpg

That will work. Just ordered them.

Thanks Jim.

Last edited:
I think the problem you will have finding it commercial is in the bends! The GM version is made to fit a specific size and shaped pocket.

Pocket U-clipnuts is what we called them in the shop.

I thought about just making small 1/2" wide bars out of 1/4" to slide in there, but not worth it when they are $8.

Well we are st the hospital now. I think I'm more nervous than my wife is.

Back