Active User
Registered
Here is my 8 x 12" lathe and some of the modifications I've done:

lathe_8x12-2.jpgDSCN3502.JPGlathe_8x12.jpgtailstock1.jpgqctp.jpgscrew4.jpg

Best regards,

kreutz

DSCN3502.JPG lathe_8x12.jpg lathe_8x12-2.jpg tailstock1.jpg qctp.jpg screw4.jpg

Hi,

Nice job with your lathe. I have one just like it and I like mine very much. I've thought about the accordion chip shield but haven't gotten around to it yet. They don't waste any effort on the tailstock clamp do they. I had to fit mine better too. I kind of had to because I made a cam-lock for my tailstock. The cam-lock is a good mod and relatively easy if you are so inclined.

Only other mod I did so far is to add a clamp bolt to the tailstock. The top and bottom aren't really fastened together. The only thing holding the top to the bottom is the big clamp bolt when you tighten the tailstock down. I added a small clamping bolt to hold the two pieces together.

Do you like the link belt? I'm still running on my original belt after 2 years. But I'm thinking I should get a spare something on hand pretty soon. And a link belt seems like a good choice.

dalee

Hello;

The accordion shield is held by small round neodymium magnets super-glued on the bottom side so they don't attract chips and I can take it out easily. I made it out of one of the plastic accordions that came with a window A/C unit. The magnets are strong enough so even when vacuum cleaning they still hold the shield in place. They also allow to move the accordion up/down on the side of the spindle so the accordion doesn't bend up. Normally I use a brush and the shop vacuum cleaner to clean the chips on top of the shield, so it is only when I am cutting threads manually that I take it out in order to wipe out the cutting oil. So far only when parting steel parts I take care they don't stay on top of the shield much time, they drop down so hot they could melt the plastic.

Regarding the link belt, I did that modification first to my drill press and it runs so smooth that I also made one for the lathe. I am very happy, it is noiseless and doesn't slide easily.

Do you have photos of your tailstock modification?

Best regards,

kreutz

Thank you, now I think I understand the general idea, so you use cam action to lift the bolt... clever :).

kreutz

What size is that link belt? I'm wondering if it will work on my 9X20. The original is a gates and it is only 1/4 inch wide. Nice lathe.

"Billy G"

Hello;

Here is a photo of the original link belt's box I've got it from "Grainger Industrial Supplies" years ago. This belt will work fine on your 9x20. I also use it on my pedestal drill press as shown on the other two photos, best investment ever.

Best regards,

kreutz

DSCN3504.JPG DSCN3500.JPG DSCN3501.JPG

nice lathe
i have a 9x20 and the fit and finish on your lathe is a lot nicer
I put the link belts on my round column mill and what a difference really smooth and they dont slip
got my belts at harbour freight they only sell one size in my store so they are too big for my 9x20
steve

nice lathe
i have a 9x20 and the fit and finish on your lathe is a lot nicer
steve

Helo Steve;

I think the pulleys on the 9x20 and 8x14 are the same size. The only things I've really wanted to have on the 8 x 12" are the T slots on the cross-table. So far the size and power are right for most of the jobs.

Best regards,

kreutz

Last edited:
Would love to see pics of the tail stock mod mentioned as quick release

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back