My 9A-#16490 NKR

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally got some spare time to begin clean up. Decided to start on the easy end first!
First question: What, if anything, goes in the hole on the tailstock opposite the cinch down lever?
More questions to follow I'm sure.

DSCN7899.JPG

I don't mind a little patina but this is ridiculous!
And totally uncalled for.
Some folks should not be allowed to own putty knives!!
The dial for the tailpiece is cracked and the knob is missing.
Anyone have a spare?

DSCN7899.JPGDSCN7898.JPGDSCN7900.JPG

The hole was for a dauber, a ball headed spike looking thing with a round shouldered part that kept the cavity more or less sealed when not being used to apply center lubricant when using dead centers; the little pocket was partially filled with whatever center lube you wanted to use, whether it was Dixon's graphite lube, CMD (I think) or white or red lead in oil. My HS machine shop had them on all the SB lathes and they were used.

What type of cabinet or legs does it have? I have one here that I want to sell, has 3&4 jaw chucks, lantern tool post with holders, and live center, has been completely gone through and nicely painted and worn parts replaced. Asking $1200.

Thanks!
There was some kind of crusty looking cream colored stuff in it when I dug around with a screwdriver in there.
It has the standard UMD cabinet w/mounting lugs and w/o drawers. I think it will clean up nicely, at least it's not all beat up.
I tried a few "towels in bucket" hand cleaners on one side and the color came right back out through all the crud!

likely white lead. Mine has sheet steel legs without drawers also, seem like a waste of space, but cheap, I guess.

UMD is an under mount drive. You have UMD if the engine is below the headstock in the cabinet.

joe

More questions...
How does this come apart?
I want to dis-assemble, clean and lube it
I have the short gib out and the set screw that holds the base for the tool post as well as the screw holding the dial indicator including the peg underneath it.
I would think the screw would just unscrew off the end and the top just slide off??
It looks like it takes a special tool to remove the cap from the handle?
Also, I am missing several of the gib retaining screws on both the main slide and the tool post slde.
Anyone know the thread size on these? Does not appear to be NC or NF standard.

Thanks in advance
Oh, I did pick up a used Cushman 3 jaw chuck yesterday, better than nothing at all for now.

Attachments

• DSCN7902.JPG
    DSCN7902.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7903.JPG
    DSCN7903.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7904.JPG
    DSCN7904.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN7901.JPG
    DSCN7901.JPG