My Afternoon At The Shooting Range

In the Grand Scheme of all things along these lines, the Group is nice to see and appreciate. An understanding of the mechanics and athletic endeavors is crucial to improvement.

That said, the only shot that really truly counts is THE FIRST ONE.

I have never been able to hold any kind of group with my ARr7

the targets shown were with the Ruger Precision Rimfire (RPR), with the AR7, my score is more in the 93-95% range, good but the Ruger American bolt-action and the RPR Are a lot better. My Henry 22LR pump action, is terrible, I’ve ordered better sights from a company in Montana, but they have not arrived yet.

So far in the league, I’ve shot,

Ruger Precision Rimfire
Ruger American bolt-action
Ruger 10/22 carbine
Henry AR 7
Remington 510 Target-Master (single shot)
Browning 22LR gallery gun
Savage 22LR bolt-action
Sears (Stevens) semi-automatic
H&H 22LR rook rifle conversion (single shoot)

I came in second in 2003-4, using the Remington, but that was at a low period of the league, the last 2 years, I’ve used the RPR and while shooting for a higher average score, the competition has gotten better and they is also a higher active membership at this time.

One of the guys is shooting a Vudoo custom made 22LR, his minus the scope (open sight league) and was by the time he got done somewhere in the $4500-$5000 range, he is currently 5th in the standings, with roughly $500 RPR package, as of Monday morning I was tied for 6th, with 2 other shooters.

Last edited:
I shoot old single shots as a hobby....There's a 500 meter range about 20 miles away that's open to the public 7 days a week, it's dusty and hot but what a luxury! My Ballard is in 38-55 cal, I cast bullets from 265 to 330 grains for it and breech seat the bullets.On a really good day it will hold 1/2 minute of angle from a front rest, the 330 grain bullet is pretty good out to 500. Most days I can't hold as well as I should due to tremor making my right hand have a mind of it's own.
My other love is a Remington Hepburn Long Range Creedmoor in 45-100.It's a semi-religious experience to shoot this old beast, these days I'm casting 540 grain bullets for it and still playing with seating depth and powder charge trying to wring out the accuracy I know is in there, but with the old tang sight and globe front it's a challenge just to see the target clearly enough to do my part.Recoil is vigorous!

I'm just now beginning to build myself an 1877 Sharps Creedmoor to keep me busy, hence my joining this forum!

Attachments

• Hepburn Ballard.jpg
    Hepburn Ballard.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I have thought of building a remington rolling block. Probably never happen but pipe dreams can be fun and entertaining.

One of the guys is shooting a Vudoo custom
This 'sport' is like any of them. There is always somebody who thinks his money can overcome his lack of skill or understanding.
Jeep catalogs are FULL of that stuff. Deer camp can have guys double dipping on this gig. Tool trucks too.....did I type that outloud?:cautious:

I ordered a new 22LR today, I ordered a Winchester semi-automatic 22LR Wildcat, supposedly manufactured by the Turkish National Armory for Winchester, from Winchester’s design. The rifle should be here sometime by mid month (10/14 - 10/19), according to the paperwork.

Older big bore single shots are addictive. Have 7 Remington rolling blocks. Couple more to put together. Then there’s martini’s. Have several. Their all fun to shoot

Older big bore single shots are addictive. Have 7 Remington rolling blocks. Couple more to put together. Then there’s martini’s. Have several. Their all fun to shoot
Yes sir! I love 'em. I am thinking it would be fun to build a Martini action later on after this project.Had a BSA Martini International 22 years ago, best prone rifle I've ever owned.

Back