My Atlas Milling Machine, cleanup and upgrades

There are no seals on the Mill's spindle bearings. There are two dust covers or shields around each bearing. The right inner one has a notch cut in it so that you can pull the spindle out with the Woodruff key in place. The lube system on all of the Atlas machines is what's known as a total loss system. You shouldn't use grease on any of the Atlas spindle bearings. The only way to renew it is by pulling the spindles, which is a fair amount of work. And once you've put grease in them, the grease will usually block proper oil flow.

There are in this one. Now. Look at the beginning of the post for details.

Thanks. My outer dust cover was damaged and your outer seals looked like they were direct replacements. If so I would just replace my outer seals.

There are in this one. Now. Look at the beginning of the post for details.
Yeah, I saw that after I realized how old this thread was. Not something that I would consider necessary but each to his own. :)

I too have one in the shop but haven't even caked it out. Only a quick look , if I need to take it down ill go over it completely but the paint looks good hopefully when I oil her up and run her I don't find to much wrong . But being laid up its hard to do. Just wait till therapy and the pain doctor can help or get operated on. I'm tired of the pain and no enjoyment in my shop. Good luck with your rebuild looks good as new.

Back