My back says NOOOOO

Looking for everyones ideas on moving heavy items in the shop. Chain fall, hoist, trolley, dolly, etc....and any combination of the options...basically using whats between the ears instead of your back. Thanks
Heavy benches etc, if I can get a car floor jack to lift an end, I put car wheel skates down and then the legs on each skate. Very easy to move things around. Each skate will support 1500 pounds.....

I think I can do without that $4600 device . Wow , gotta wonder how many of these they sell at that price . :rolleyes:

I have a std 2 car garage for my do-all workshop (automotive, woodworking, machining, welding etc) so the space is at a premium. One side is dedicated to the automotive work (with a floor lift installed), the other side is machining. I don't have to move heavy things much but the engine hoist with the load leveler is the main tool I use for scooting things around the garage. I have a hand trucks, come along, floor jacks, transmission jacks, winch on the truck etc but the engine hoist is all I've used for this, it's a great multipurpose tool. However, it's a bit of a pain to maneuver in a small/packed space. So I've been thinking about picking up the 1000lbs hydraulic cart from Harbor freight for getting things off the back of the pickup truck or from the workbench and moving them elsewhere.

If I had a bigger shop I'd add a pallet jack and that should take care of just about anything. Tom Lipton (oxotool) recently did a video on how to move heavy lathes etc around the shop, it's a good watch for sure.

Forklifts, tractors, stair climbing electric furniture dolly etc...those would be cool but not for my small home garage.

http://www.badgerclamp.com/index.html No association or interest in the company other than a satisfied customer. The site has load test info as well.

Looking at that by the way it clamps the wood with teeth like a large plier and nothing over the top it would be prone to just pull off under heavy load of lifting. It might be ok for storage of the hoist but not lifting. Maybe very light lifting.

A simple loop of heavy chain around the overhead beam gives full weight capability of the beam and no slipping off.

No one tool, except our brain, can/should be used in every situation. Having a collection of tools for lifting and moving stuff is essential.
Having a bad back (surgery, arthritis, prone to vertebral subluxation, etc), I have to be very careful lifting and moving stuff.
These are what I have & use:
  • 1000 lbs Harbor Freight lift cart (works great for vises and rotary tables, plus what stioc mentions)
  • Hand truck (this gets used surprisingly often)
  • 2 Furniture dollies
  • Engine hoist
  • Two post car lift
  • Homemade toe jack and skate set
  • A couple 5' long pry bars
  • Wood blocks
Sometimes you can use things in ways they were not originally intend (within common sense). For example, the car lift worked great for lifting my 20" Ohio shaper off of the flat bed trailer that delivered it.

Back