My back says NOOOOO

I use a couple things. Most often I use a hydraulic table to lift parts or fixtures to the mill table. I have a couple from HF. One has a 500 lb. capacity and the other has a 1,000 lb. capacity.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

The second most used thing is an overhead cable hoist. This is used primarily to lift heavy items to the mill or hydraulic table.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200712244_200712244

Between the two I have been able to move various pieces of machinery into the shop, and lift parts and fixtures to the machines.

The engine hoist is my go-to, when the hand truck is not suitable.

If you get an engine hoist, I suggest the 2 ton flavor...it is only marginally more, and remember the rated capacity is done at minimum boom extension, which limits how high you can lift. Go big.

A hospital patient lift is very handy around the shop where there isn't room for an engine/shop crane.

I use front end loader a lot - probably one of the most versatile things you can own. 1+ for engine hoist. But these require space and money.

For remote work or low budgets a monster bar with its long lever and a few pieces of pipe can move an amazing array of stuff. This particular model has a really durable head great for breaking concrete, construction demolition, etc.
monster.jpg

This has been great. 15 really good replies. So far I think the engine lift or shop crane has the most support, and I like the idea of the shorter legs for maneuverability.
I have 560TJI's for floor joists above my shop and have been thinking that a perpendicular run of lightweight beam with trolley and cable hoist for the midweight items might work well. Weyerhaeuser gives specs on what point loads for each type of fastener for their TJI's and I would think spreading the load out as opposed to running along (1) single joist to be optimal. I'll need to check with my engineering buddies on that one though.

I use anything that will keep me from manually doing it:grin:. I have an old Ford tractor with front end loader, 2 ton engine hoist, chain hoist, hydraulic table, and a pallet jack. Lots of pry bars, come alongs, chains, ropes, ect.

I use a combination of engine hoist and 1 ton chain fall hoist for most things. For the chain fall, I use an inexpensive clamp on hook called a "Badger Clamp" Makes it very easy to move the hoist anywhere you can access a floor or ceiling joist. I think it's rated for 1000lbs.
IMG_0691.JPG

Back