My back says NOOOOO

Does that Badger Clamp have teeth that dig into the joist that you hang it from? You say it’s rated for 1k lbs, as long as the joist that you hang it on can hold the load. Looks pretty handy!!

I would like to know more about this Badger Clamp ....

Wow that badger clamp is cool. Never heard of it before.

Found this:
Badgerclamp.com. Made in the good old U.S of A! Has some cool accessories too. I NEED one.

Looking for everyones ideas on moving heavy items in the shop. Chain fall, hoist, trolley, dolly, etc....and any combination of the options...basically using whats between the ears instead of your back. Thanks
All the responses give great suggestions - I use several in my shop. Given that my crossover interest to machining grew out of building street rods, I have used an engine hoist, transmission jack and an automobile lift - each with varying degrees of applicability. They are not always practical, however, and in some instances can be made to work but involve a lot of time and setup. One particular application that I've found challenging is hoisting a 125 lb. rotary table on and off the milling machine. Below are some photos of a portable 'elevator' I made for this and other tasks. I had a headstock for a Harrison M300 lathe - I needed a shaft that cost $1,100 new. Bought the entire headstock for $300. That became the gearbox for the elevator. A motor that I took off an out-of-commission grain auger became the power plant. The chain is a section from a neighbor's old hay baler. Had to buy the casters and most of the metal (sigh) but for the most part, everything else was leftovers or scrap - even some of the bearings. The headstock is set at its lowest speed, and the gears for the chain drive reduce it even further. I made the height sufficient to lift the rotary table from a heavy duty shelf onto my mill's table. The process is simple: raise the elevator to the appropriate height; slide the rotary table onto it; lower (for center of gravity) and roll to mill; raise; slide onto the mill table; and you're done. Piece of cake.

I still have a little work to do: Wiring is not finished because I want to add limit switches; I need to add emergency stops along the lines of what's on an automobile lift; make a pushcart-style handle; and paint (maybe).

This thing works beyond my expectations and was a real learning experience to make.

Regards,
Terry

IMG_1534.JPGIMG_1535.JPGIMG_1541.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1545.JPG

I have a gantry outside, a liftgate on the pickup, engine hoist, pallet jack, hand truck, electric hoist on the celing and one I haven't seen mentioned yet, I have an old fence streacher block & tackle, it's a double block on each end with a hook on both and a cam lock on the top, I use it for a lot of minor lifting around the shop like taking the vise on and off of the mill, I just clamp the bottom hook in the vise and lift it off. I was using a piece of chain with a bolt through the floor joist above as an attachment point which works but seeing that badger clamp.... I just ordered 4 of them. Christmas is taken care of. LOL

I use my OMT and an engine hoist. (OMT = Old Man Tractor currently a Kubota B3030, before that I had my Dad's OMT an Oliver 660) A pallet jack would be handy, maybe someday.

Drat, doesn't look like the Badger will work on 2x8 rough-sawn.
Guess what the shop is made of?....

they sell adapter to make it work for wider boards. I bet you could make an adapter so it would fit your rough-sawn boards.

Because of the 2 floor your best bet is a forklift, or a front end loader, see if there are any available for rent or borrow one when properly planned, the move goes very quickly.

Back