My Bench-Master and a back story

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I work out of a small space (8'X5') this is why things are cramped . A while back I posted about getting a Pratt & Whitney 3c mill , got the P&W all shined and painted and waiting for a bench and motor . The guy I got the P&W from calls me and asks me to buy his Bench-Master because he has too many projects (cars) and he really liked what I did with the P&W . So before he changed his mind I said yes but could he wait so I could sell a bicycle and raise some cash , ok .
Like I said in my other post the Bench-Master was rough , the worst being pitting left in the table . I'm looking into having the table ground . Paint is going to be forest green with a yellow "B" , the only thing missing from the Bench-Master is the pulley guard. I threw in some extra pictures of my other machines , Atlas 6" lathe , Atlas DP and the P&W .

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 95
I work out of a small space (8'X5') this is why things are cramped . A while back I posted about getting a Pratt & Whitney 3c mill , got the P&W all shined and painted and waiting for a bench and motor . The guy I got the P&W from calls me and asks me to buy his Bench-Master because he has too many projects (cars) and he really liked what I did with the P&W . So before he changed his mind I said yes but could he wait so I could sell a bicycle and raise some cash , ok .
Like I said in my other post the Bench-Master was rough , the worst being pitting left in the table . I'm looking into having the table ground . Paint is going to be forest green with a yellow "B" , the only thing missing from the Bench-Master is the pulley guard. I threw in some extra pictures of my other machines , Atlas 6" lathe , Atlas DP and the P&W .
Ha! Gotcha beat! 8' x 6' here:<) ;) Looking good!!!

More to the back story . I'm getting close to re assembly , I notice I don't have the right Z axis lead screw . The one I have is 5/8-10 LH thread , should be 3/4-10 LH . I found a source for the correct one but I'm not sure about the length , can anyone give me the length dimension ?
Thanks , Mark .

IMG_1096 by mark westi, on Flickr

If you are looking for a matching vise. I have a Benchmaster swivel vise for trade

Cutting oil is my blood.

I found out that I do have the right "Z" lead screw , and it is 5/8 X 16" long . What got me thinking I had the wrong one was that when I went to test it in the nut , it dropped right in . Closer inspection of the nut revealed that somebody wanted it out of there and started to "work" on it .
I bought a lead screw from these guys https://www.roton.com/family/acme-left-screws-and-nuts-7160206/ so now I'm going to buy their nut assy. , I will have to bore out the base to make it fit , hopefully that all works out .
This machine turned out more than I bargained for , but it's fun work . I still have to install the 90* Boston gear in the knee and then the bearings in the head . I'm not at all an electrician type , the motor that it came with is wired for 220v single phase and I want 110v it came with a nice lever type switch , a breaker box and what I think is a magnetic starter , and of course it's a mess . Luckily there is a motor repair shop close to me that can get all that sorted out for me .
Mark .

Oh boy , this has been an exercise in hurry up and wait . The motor shop I thought would help me , sat on it for four weeks and then said too busy . Same thing with another shop but I only let sit there for two weeks and the guy told me he was too blahblah . I did get the "Z" nut and that worked out good , On closer inspection of the spindle casting I saw what I thought was a crack . Looked like a crack , it was a crack but not deep . It was on the outside of the bearing bore and didn't go through to the bore , after some grinding it was gone . I'm saying casting flaw as it had original paint in the crack . I purchased spindle bearings from a place called Farm (something I forget) they are not the right ones , ID OD ok but they are about half the height . I got Timkens from a local supply house but they had to order them .
I'm still looking for a electrician , But the Benchmaster is done .
Mark .
IMG_1104 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_1105 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1106 by mark westi, on Flickr

Looks purty- you need help with the wiring? Show the motor and switch terminals- close up views
Shouldn't be too difficult- you like fireworks? LOL just kidding
-Mark
ps the motor pulley needs to be flipped I think

Last edited:
Back