My Cave

Jason812

Registered
Registered
Some background. I have wanted to build custom rifles for the last 20 years. I went to school in 2004 to be a machinist (so I could learn how to build guns), graduated with an associates degree in 2006, and got a job as a CNC programmer. Then went to work a couple years latter for a carbide tool company as a field sales rep. That wasn't my cup of tea and lucked into working as a manufacturing engineer for a major machinery company. Some where along the way, I got married, had 2 kids, built a house, and had my last job outsourced to other countries while building the house. Some of the money I got to not have a job any more went to fulfill a dream I have had for a long time. I even bought a rifle 10 years ago because it was a good deal and would serve as the donor for my first project.

While building the house, I designed my own room to hold the machines, my safe, and reloading bench. It's not as big as I would like but I wanted the machines in a climate controlled environment to make up keep easier. That takes us to today...

20190202_181329.jpg20190202_181322.jpg

I ran a sub panel to the room for the machines. There is also 1 120V circuit on the machine wall that is fed with the sub panel. The 4 plugs on the back wall are on a separate breaker coming from the main panel and the other plugs are on another circuit from the main panel. In total there are 11 plugs on 2 circuits and a sub panel all feeding the electricity.

20190202_181501.jpg20190203_174808.jpg

Then I stained the paneling, hung 5V crimped tin on the ceiling, and trimmed the room with 1x4's.

20190214_200034.jpg20190215_130457.jpg20190216_184218.jpg20190220_213837.jpg

I had to build the desk and reloading bench before the machines could be rolled into the room. Once the lathe is in, nothing is getting out without moving it first.

20191117_161405.jpg20191117_161411.jpg

Then came what I have been wanting for a long time. It has taken longer to put them together and install then I thought.

PM1340GT 3phase with a Hitachi 1.5kw VFD, DRO, and proximity stop. Even though not needed, I installed line reactors, an RF/EMI filter, and hour meter. It all fit an a 14x12x8 enclosure but would have been easier with a slightly larger box. Already changed the motor pulley to a 2.95" single groove with a BX25 belt and installed an Aloris tool change post. I used the left over stick of DIN rail as a tool holder and I think it will hold 12 tools.

PM833T with DRO. Sure wish I would have waited a couple of months and got the TV but oh well. I have the X-axis power feed installed and still need to tackle the Z-axis.

20191117_155041.jpg20191117_155057.jpg20191117_155114.jpg

I can't wait to actually make a chip on these.

Many thanks to Mark Jacobs for providing the control panel and board, plus answering numerous questions. Also, to the other members on the forum who answered questions or shared other information. I have learned a lot in the short time from being a member here.

Some background. I have wanted to build custom rifles for the last 20 years. I went to school in 2004 to be a machinist (so I could learn how to build guns), graduated with an associates degree in 2006, and got a job as a CNC programmer. Then went to work a couple years latter for a carbide tool company as a field sales rep. That wasn't my cup of tea and lucked into working as a manufacturing engineer for a major machinery company. Some where along the way, I got married, had 2 kids, built a house, and had my last job outsourced to other countries while building the house. Some of the money I got to not have a job any more went to fulfill a dream I have had for a long time. I even bought a rifle 10 years ago because it was a good deal and would serve as the donor for my first project.

While building the house, I designed my own room to hold the machines, my safe, and reloading bench. It's not as big as I would like but I wanted the machines in a climate controlled environment to make up keep easier. That takes us to today...

View attachment 306047View attachment 306048

I ran a sub panel to the room for the machines. There is also 1 120V circuit on the machine wall that is fed with the sub panel. The 4 plugs on the back wall are on a separate breaker coming from the main panel and the other plugs are on another circuit from the main panel. In total there are 11 plugs on 2 circuits and a sub panel all feeding the electricity.

View attachment 306049View attachment 306050

Then I stained the paneling, hung 5V crimped tin on the ceiling, and trimmed the room with 1x4's.

View attachment 306051View attachment 306052View attachment 306053View attachment 306054

I had to build the desk and reloading bench before the machines could be rolled into the room. Once the lathe is in, nothing is getting out without moving it first.

View attachment 306055View attachment 306056

Then came what I have been wanting for a long time. It has taken longer to put them together and install then I thought.

PM1340GT 3phase with a Hitachi 1.5kw VFD, DRO, and proximity stop. Even though not needed, I installed line reactors, an RF/EMI filter, and hour meter. It all fit an a 14x12x8 enclosure but would have been easier with a slightly larger box. Already changed the motor pulley to a 2.95" single groove with a BX25 belt and installed an Aloris tool change post. I used the left over stick of DIN rail as a tool holder and I think it will hold 12 tools.

PM833T with DRO. Sure wish I would have waited a couple of months and got the TV but oh well. I have the X-axis power feed installed and still need to tackle the Z-axis.

View attachment 306057View attachment 306058View attachment 306059

I can't wait to actually make a chip on these.

Many thanks to Mark Jacobs for providing the control panel and board, plus answering numerous questions. Also, to the other members on the forum who answered questions or shared other information. I have learned a lot in the short time from being a member here.
Looks very nice. Congrats.

That’s a great start sir.
Nice machines!

Buying donor rifles... I know the routine!

You must read John Hinnant's book on action and barrel work, he gives plans and designs for all the fixtures you'll need to make. That book moved me years ahead of figuring things out for myself.

Your shop looks much more inviting than mine. Well done! :)

Back