My chuck done gone bad..

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I have a 6" independent 4-jaw chuck on my Atlas TH54 lathe. Other night I was about to dial in a stud for threading and the (jaw) screw stripped its thread. On a closer look, the threads in the chuck body are just plain worn out. I knew they were worn, but not that bad (or so I thought). Well, its jaws were already bell-mouthed and needed ground anyway, so it's probably time for a replacement. It has served well in its many years! So is there any hope for the old chuck? Can it be refurbed into something else useful? I hate to just scrap it out...
Thanks!
Wes

Atlas_10-864B_chuck.jpg

scrap/recycle. These Atlas chucks were no great shakes when new. I have one, identical on a South Bend lathe, marked Union Chuck Co., I suspect that Union made them all for Craftsman as well. I have another marked Craftsman, that the threads are damaged out near the OD but is perfectly usable otherwise, that I'd let go of for reasonable $; PM me if interested.

I have a 6" independent 4-jaw chuck on my Atlas TH54 lathe. Other night I was about to dial in a stud for threading and the (jaw) screw stripped its thread. On a closer look, the threads in the chuck body are just plain worn out.

Maybe consider using it only as a face plate?, If one must be madly thrifty, get a square bronze bar,
bore it and internal-thread it, then slice it to make four 'rack' strips. Endmill through the jaw
slots to flatten a bed for 'em, then braze/rivet/glue/screw/pin a rack into each arm. It could work.

I have one like that that I used for a faceplate before I got a proper one. I just slid some regular hex bolts
in to secure the work.

Back