My Clausing 100 mk 3 Serial# 5396

Mike, My ways have some wear but mostly nicks which had stoned out the high spots. I did not realize how much wear was in the saddle v ways. Need to raise the saddle backup to the original position so everything is back into proper relation.

From what I have read, the proper way to raise the saddle is to machine the saddle’s vee way so inserts can be epoxied in. Common inserts are made of Turcite B, Rulon, Delrin AF. There is also a product called Moglice which is putty resin which placed into the v-way and saddle is placed onto the lathe bed to form the new v-way. Still have to mill out the existing v-way since the Mollice thickness needs to be at least 0.040” thick. You also need to make brackets to precisely hold the the saddle up while the putty hardens in 24 hours.

Bob G.
ANY updates Bob?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking in. When I did the last post, I started another project working on my wife’s Honda 2005 CRV which she reminds about. Funny how projects start with a dash check engine light. Also had the ABS and VSA lights always on. Just finished up tonight. Check Engine = EVAP leak -> Mouse puncture hose on top of fuel tank. Long time to find. Bought a smoke machine to finally locate it. ABS -> Front Right wheel sensor, VSA -> Steering Angle Sensor. While removing fuel tank, discover a lot of rust. Struts and brake backing plates rusted out. Since we plan to keep for at least another 10 year (AWD backup vehicle), went ahead to address all the rust issues by disassemble rear end, sandblasted, painted and reassemble. I also had four rust throughs in the body to deal with. Replaced parts that needed replacing (Long list since everything was rusted solid together). Treated everything under the back end with Fluid Film.

So I have started thinking about the lathe again. It’s been down way to long. Was working on getting the lathe perfectly level. Was leveled with the ways being parallel. Also need to see how I am going to mill the saddle V ways.
Resume a good winter project.

Hope everything working out for you now. Bob G.

It's always funny to me how we get pulled into a direction that we hadn't seen coming up. Sounds like lots of work went on and some specialized equipment was needed but glad to hear it's coming to a proper conclusion. I've been getting the bug to maybe do an overhaul to mine. But it may be a rabbit hole with no bottom?? There are some things it needs but aren't crucial to the mission as it is.. and it is all about being pulled into different directions. Competing "priorities" i.e. which "hobby" holds my attention at the moment. LOL. Currently this one wins out!

Attachments

• tango then.jpg
    tango then.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 4
Back