My Clausing 100 mk 3 Serial# 5396

Scale cover done. Ready to roll lathe to permanent location then level lathe.

Attachments

• A2546C28-E202-45ED-A900-60B72FB592E9.jpeg
    A2546C28-E202-45ED-A900-60B72FB592E9.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 25
  • EDE50E9C-B8BE-429F-9CEC-040E32CDA5D3.jpeg
    EDE50E9C-B8BE-429F-9CEC-040E32CDA5D3.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 26
Not sure how I missed all the posts... seems like I missed the past 6 months or so. I thought this thread had gone cold but nope, your all here.
A lot of nice work showing in those posts too! Good Job.

Not sure how I missed all the posts... seems like I missed the past 6 months or so. I thought this thread had gone cold but nope, your all here.
A lot of nice work showing in those posts too! Good Job.

Well this project has been going for eight months. Another milestone, bolted the cabinet to the floor tonight. Started out just a fast paint job but mission creeped in.

Yeah hate threads that go cold. I am guilty of a few projects not getting completed. Will see this thread to point with lathe running again then just update the thread doing cross slide scale, DRO mount and spindle tachometer.

Need to complete my previous project putting power steering on my mowing Cub.

https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57307

By the revisiting this thread the photo of your snowblower Cub, is that a Farmall B in far left corner?

HaHa my mowing Farmall B was first incomplete project when dating my wife 20 years ago.

Bob G.

Well this project has been going for eight months. Another milestone, bolted the cabinet to the floor tonight. Started out just a fast paint job but mission creeped in.

Yeah hate threads that go cold. I am guilty of a few projects not getting completed. Will see this thread to point with lathe running again then just update the thread doing cross slide scale, DRO mount and spindle tachometer.

Need to complete my previous project putting power steering on my mowing Cub.

https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57307

By the revisiting this thread the photo of your snowblower Cub, is that a Farmall B in far left corner?

HaHa my mowing Farmall B was first incomplete project when dating my wife 20 years ago.

Bob G.
I had been reading this thread earlier and I never got any updates it seems. So I was surprised to trip over and see all the progress. And very nice looking progress as well. Glad you got the cover, it would've been a bear to make one. I didn't know that cub website was still going! I thought they died off... I must live in a cave! LOL... That Farmall is a "47" A, next to it are a 169 & 73 Cub Cadets.. all in various states of completion.. LOL

Glad you came back. Hard to keep up with all the threads. For the Cubs, I mainly use IHCudCadet and OnlyCubCadet. I was trying hard to see if your Farmall was an A or a B. Could not determine if it had a wide front end. Is your A still running? I grew up in New Jersey with Farmall M’s. We bought our 1941 Farmall BN back in 1982 and I drove it home 40 mile on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. My brother followed with the pickup truck...

What project you are working on? It starting warm up here no freezing at night. See how long that will last.

Glad you came back. Hard to keep up with all the threads. For the Cubs, I mainly use IHCudCadet and OnlyCubCadet. I was trying hard to see if your Farmall was an A or a B. Could not determine if it had a wide front end. Is your A still running? I grew up in New Jersey with Farmall M’s. We bought our 1941 Farmall BN back in 1982 and I drove it home 40 mile on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. My brother followed with the pickup truck...

What project you are working on? It starting warm up here no freezing at night. See how long that will last.
I have been on the IHcubcadet site since the beginning, when it was simply a bulletin board. Went through all the dramas too. But I am still there and never went anwhere else. The "A" is a wide front and yes, it runs, good too! We had a Cub for a # of years and then sold it to someone on the other side of town, so I drove it over, clear fall day, "brisk" I guess would be the word to describe it. Was quite a ride LOL. Projects that need finishing? The 169, it just won't start easily. Need to discover why.. and tune it up. I've been thinking it's getting time to retire so that means selling off the cubs and some other "stuff".. we'll see.

Hi 34_40, Do you have a first name and are you still ‘Just a beginner’? ( ;<)

Are you referring to the ‘IH Registry’ meltdown crash? A lot of the members never found their way home. I missed Ken from Nova Scotia.

Now in the process leveling the cabinet and lathe bed.

Bob G.

Attachments

• 5FEF35E7-3FF6-451C-B51F-A288422D35F1.jpeg
    5FEF35E7-3FF6-451C-B51F-A288422D35F1.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 16
  • AFD39816-79C7-4B37-BF5B-811E8966C49F.jpeg
    AFD39816-79C7-4B37-BF5B-811E8966C49F.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi 34_40, Do you have a first name and are you still ‘Just a beginner’? ( ;<)

Are you referring to the ‘IH Registry’ meltdown crash? A lot of the members never found their way home. I missed Ken from Nova Scotia.

Now in the process leveling the cabinet and lathe bed.

Bob G.
I'll always be a beginner! LOL and my name is Mike Frade. IH Registry, yes, it is one of those ordeals.. it was never really a "home" for me but I did like to keep up with a lot of the members who had been "across the street" prior. You are doing some wonderful work on this lathe, maybe after I retire I'll do the same to mine... or.. maybe not! LOL :cool:

Mike, As you noticed this project is still going - I am still working for at least another four years.

Spent this weekend ‘leveling’ the lathe bed. Being this cabinet is semi rigid, bolted it to the uneven concrete floor. The cabinet is now rock solid. In the past I was not fussy with the lathe being leveled when the cabinet was bolted to the wood skids. Would just shim it keep it from rocking...

The plan is the level the lathe with my Starrett 98-6 level then final tune doing the ‘collet to collet’ test.

Doing all the shimming at the headstock / tailstock. The back headstock mount was the highest elevation. Started leveling doing headstock / headstock align then will level to the tailstock end. Had to shim front headstock about 0.155” to level. To level the front tailstock mount to the headstock would require about 0.250” shim to level.

Did some reading on some machining forums. With the lathe, the critical relationship is the front way being perfectly parallel to the rear way. If the bed is twisted, the ways are not in parallel to each other. Some suggest not to use the top of the vee ways to level. Since it is likely not perfectly leveled since top may not perfectly machined and wear in the vee ways. Suggestions to measure off the flat ways using 123 blocks. Other suggest using the carriage crossslide way to place the level and just crank carriage back and forth since the tool bit will be mounted here.

So this is what I am doing now since will not require minimum amount of shims. For real thin shims possible using aluminum foil .001”, yogurt cover foil .004” , aluminum duct tape .005 , aluminum flashing .011”. Made several 1/8” thick shims using 1-3/4” hole saw and drilling out 1/4” pilot hole with 3/8” bit. Also using large fender washers .064” thick for shims.

Mike, As you noticed this project is still going - I am still working for at least another four years. I keep saying the same thing.. Just 1 more year, 3 times!

The plan is the level the lathe with my Starrett 98-6 level then final tune doing the ‘collet to collet’ test.

Doing all the shimming at the headstock / tailstock. The back headstock mount was the highest elevation. Started leveling doing headstock / headstock align then will level to the tailstock end. Had to shim front headstock about 0.155” to level. To level the front tailstock mount to the headstock would require about 0.250” shim to level.

So this is what I am doing now since will not require minimum amount of shims. For real thin shims possible using aluminum foil .001”, yogurt cover foil .004” , aluminum duct tape .005 , aluminum flashing .011”. Made several 1/8” thick shims using 1-3/4” hole saw and drilling out 1/4” pilot hole with 3/8” bit. Also using large fender washers .064” thick for shims. I've done some reading on leveling but I don't remember anyone mentioning shimming the headstock separately.. or am I mis-reading this?

Back