My Clock Build Project Thread

Time to make the ratchet. The ratchet allows the barrel to be turned to power the clock with either a spring or weight. A click engages the teeth.

This time using 7075 aluminum. It has 36 teeth and a 60 degree included angle.

I was thinking how to make this part with the angle. Then, I realized I could use a dovetail cutter which has the 60 degree angle.

Blank cut in the dividing head a dovetail cutter.
IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

Finished part.
IMG_6412.jpg

I got some time to continue work on my clock project. This time working on the barrel, barrel cap, and ratchet.

I had to open up the 1/4" hole to 1/2" on the ratchet. Here I'm using my newly acquired coaxial indicator to align the center with the spindle.
IMG_6419.jpg

Using my rotary table to drill and countersink holes for mounting the ratchet to the barrel.
IMG_6423.jpg

Same operation for the barrel cap.
IMG_6426.jpg

Drilling and tapping (using my mini tap handle al a Joe Pi) the barrel for 4-40 screws.
IMG_6428.jpg

Finished pieces.
IMG_6431.jpg

Assembled.
IMG_6433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpg
    IMG_6426.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 6
Been busy at work, but had a little time to get the great wheel/ratchet arbor done. I used 1/2" W1 steel rod and put a 5/16" hex on the end for winding. The tool steel is not fun to turn on my mini-lathe.

Turning between centers for concentricity.
IMG_6435.jpg

Cutting the hex on the end using my hex collet block.
IMG_6436.jpg

Completed piece.
IMG_6441.jpg

Yes, after I get it to tick tock, I plan on hardening it. That's why I used 4140.

I've never heat treated anything before. Will a Bernzomatic propane torch get it hot enough? Quench in oil? Water?
I would suggest a torch running LP or Acetylene and oxygen with a rose bud. At the end of the day the addition of oxygen to the mix will bring it to temperature faster with less gas and effort.

I would suggest a torch running LP or Acetylene and oxygen with a rose bud. At the end of the day the addition of oxygen to the mix will bring it to temperature faster with less gas and effort.

I was hoping MAPP.

I was hoping MAPP.
MAPP and LP and Butane will all work, without O2 though it requires more time and gas. you have to impart a certain number of BTU into the work piece and overcome the losses at the same time. Oxygen will increase the efficiency of your gas allowing you to impart more BTU faster and reduce the losses.

I can't imagine that little part needing an oxy-acetylene setup. If it were me, I would use MAPP.

Back