[4]

My condensation management setup worked!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
My username is also the name of the shop equipment condensation management system I spent a couple of weeks putting together. It's finally alive, and it's working!

I could afford equipment or building, but not both, and it's hard to make stuff with a building. I have an unheated, uninsulated shop with a dirt floor, and I've been battling serious condensation problems all winter. I ran across a guy on Youtube who had put together an Arduino-based system to manage this problem, but he wasn't very forthcoming with the details. He provided the operating theory, but I had to go off and learn enough to put a system together and make it happen for myself. This was rewarding, but it was not fun.

I spent a couple weeks of spare time working on this thing. I get temperature and relative humidity from a sensor, and use that to calculate the dew point with some math I stole off the internet and could never explain. I have a temperature sensor mounted on my mill and my lathe, and each machine has a pair of silicone pad heaters plugged into a relay for that machine. The system logic turns on the heat as required to warm the equipment to 1°C above the dew point. I bench tested it thoroughly, and after all these hours of banging my head against the wall chasing bugs in both the hardware and the software, I finally deployed the system in my shop yesterday.

It's cold outside and very foggy, so I rushed out to the shop as soon as I got home to see how the system was working. I was greeted with this display: 20180307_042549.jpg

Here's what the box looks like (doubling as a handy hanger for my parallel keeper), along with the lathe relay box:
20180307_042622.jpg

I will tidy up the wiring tangle after I establish that my sensor placement is going to work. I drilled a hole in the lathe bed casting at the headstock end (g0602), just above the tunnel. If I ever run into a combination of change gears that interferes with that, I'll have to back up and punt. On the mill (g0704), I mounted the sensor in the plastic box that used to house the worthless chip shield that was constantly in my way. On the lathe, I mounted one heater toward the far end where the tailstock is usually parked, and I mounted the other just below the ways, as close to the headstock as possible. On the mill, I ended up mounting both of the heaters on the back of the column, because nothing else seemed workable.

Time till tell how the system performs, but so far, so good! Dew point 34°F, very high relative humidity, but my equipment is at 35 and 36, and it's bone dry. I don't yet have any idea how fast the equipment will heat up, what temperatures it can reach, or if this system has enough potential to keep my equipment condensation free under all circumstances. It's off to a good start, and I was stoked to come home and find the system had done its job.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This sounds awesome let me know how it works bc im gonna be in the same boat you are in

jwmelvin

Registered
Nice work. This type of thing is how Ingot into micro controllers in the first place (making a temperature controller for cooking) and I now have a long list of things I have made. I like your idea.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Good idea, while the initial investment of time and thought was considerable it negates worry about condensation and rust without heating an entire building.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Very clever idea! Good job! Also, when you get back to us, maybe give an insight on what your before and after electric bill looks like?

jwmelvin

Registered
I can't imagine this is a large power use. Can you give info regarding the heaters you used? The only thing that occurred to me is that you may want heaters in the xy table too.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Great idea! Pad Heaters? I hadn't thought of that.

In your post you stated "I will tidy up the wiring tangle after I establish that my sensor placement is going to work".
And as soon as your back is turned they will re-entwine themselves like spaghetti in a pan... :grin:

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Very clever idea! Good job! Also, when you get back to us, maybe give an insight on what your before and after electric bill looks like?
It would be interesting to hook it up to one or more Kill-A-Watt meters that keep track of electrical cost.
http://www.p3international.com/products/P4400.html
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt
I use a similar device to keep track of the heating cost in my house. Last winter I used 14.98 kWh of electricity to heat my house, costing less than $2.50, and yes, that is for the entire winter. I did not use my operational central heating system at all. Yes, this is the California central valley, but still, it gets below 20F here at times, and foggy for days, and my 1983 vintage house has just barely to 1983 code insulation, single pane windows, and a slab floor exposed to daylight at the edges. I have been doing that for about 10 years.

Edit: Come on spring time!

Last edited:

chips&more

Active User
Registered
It would be interesting to hook it up to one or more Kill-A-Watt meters that keep track of electrical cost.
http://www.p3international.com/products/P4400.html
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt
I use a similar device to keep track of the heating cost in my house. Last winter I used 14.98 kWh of electricity to heat my house, costing less than $2.50, and yes, that is for the entire winter. I did not use my operational central heating system at all. Yes, this is the California central valley, but still, it gets below 20F here at times, and foggy for days, and my 1983 vintage house has just barely to 1983 code insulation, single pane windows, and a slab floor exposed to daylight at the edges. I have been doing that for about 10 years.

Edit: Come on spring time!
Bob, I like your way of thinking. But unfortunately, around my house the wife knows exactly where the thermostats are! And how to operate them! It’s a good thing I installed a photovoltaic solar system. Wait for it…Wait for it…Wait for it. Because it makes my living space spouse proof from light switches, appliances and thermostats:)…Dave

Last edited:

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
If it's like many projects I have worked on, it'll stop working (or go into unexplainable oscillation) as soon as you
clean up the wiring :p seriously though, cool (warm) project
Mark

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If it's like many projects I have worked on, it'll stop working (or go into unexplainable oscillation) as soon as you
clean up the wiring
Yes, or the first time you show somebody how good it works... "It was working just fine until now..."

brino

Active User
@dewbane,

First, Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

Second, what a great way to jump in and share! Very cool project!

Some questions:
Is your system also Arduino based?
If so, what board did you use? and is the display integrated to the Arduino board or something you add-on?
Can you post a link to the temp sensors and heating pads you used?
Were there already libraries to support those parts, or did you write your own code?

I am not out to steal/recreate your idea, just very curious.

Thanks,
-brino

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
I used an Elegoo Uno R3 Arduino clone with a prototype expansion shield. The shield provided enough tie-ins for power and ground wires to run everything. I used a SunFounder 20x4 display with I2C backpack board (four-wire hook up), an AM2302 for temperature and humidity, and two DS18B20 as temperature sensors. For power control, I went with IoT Relay boxes from Digital Loggers for convenience and elegance.

I had a lot of trouble sourcing the kind of heaters I wanted at a reasonable cost. I finally found the right form factor at Banggood, and they were less than $8 each. If I had paid $40 I would have gotten a Chinese heater either way, so we're giving this a shot. Last but not least, I used telephone wire to extend everything, and I wired it all through a pair of VGA connectors that had the pins expanded out to screw terminals. Wiring a bunch of things using idential red/green/yellow/black wires was fun to keep straight. The DS18B20 require a 4.7 kOhm pull-up resistor wired between data and power, and I simply soldered these in where my wires entered the connector terminals, with a little heat shrink tubing to protect them from shorting out by accident.

Here is the sensor bundle tangle (resistors are inside that plug):
20180303_071944.jpg

The DS18B20 are One Wire sensors that can share a bus, but I had plenty of unused data pins and it was less complicated to wire them into separate buses. Each sensor has a unique address, which means you can address them individually on the same bus, but it also means you can't swap a component without changing the address in code.

Here are the parts that got installed into the case. Actually, this is an old picture. The resistor ended up in the plug, and I moved the relay wires from pins 0 and 1 to pins 10 and 11. Something, somewhere was interfering with 0 and 1, which took me forever to figure out. I never did figure out what. Moving the wires to different pins got everything working, and I lived happily ever after:

20180303_072010.jpg

There are public libraries for all components. So many public libraries that finding one that worked for me was one of the hardest challenges For the curious, here's the code. I didn't invest effort making it elegant, because I didn't really expect to post it in public, but I don't really see any reason not to publish it. What, I was going to manufacture these things? Not on your life!

Incidentally, I went live with the system with the 5-second delay, because I never uploaded the code again after changing it to a 60-second delay. I was worried about switching things off and on too rapidly, but the sensors an heaters are both slow, and I think this will be fine as is.

/*
Dewbane Condensation Management System

Prevents condensation on equipment by keeping its temperature
elevated above the dew point. This system is designed to manage
one lathe and one mill from a single unit.

Copyright (c) 2018 D. Michael McIntyre
michael@highlanddragonforge.com

This code was developed for an Arduino Uno R3 using the following:
1 AM2302 temperature and humidity sensor
2 DS18B20 temperature sensors (on separate buses for convenience)
2 IoT Relay enclosed high-power power relay
4 100W silicone heaters (2 per machine)

Lathe: yellow zip ties

The theory of operation is as follows:
* poll AM2302 to get temperature in Celsius and relative humidity
* use temperature and humidity to calculate dew point
* for equipment 1, equipment 2 do
* poll the DS18B20 for the equipment n
* turn off IoT relay for equipment n heaters if lathe is above dew point
* else turn on IoT relay for equipment n heaters
* update LCD display to reflect current status
* loop infinitely

*/

#include "cactus_io_AM2302.h"
#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
#include "cactus_io_DS18B20.h"

// set the LCD address to 0x27
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, 20, 4);

// pin defines
#define AM2302_PIN 2 // temp/humidity data pin
#define LATHE_T_PIN 8 // lathe temp data pin
#define MILL_T_PIN 9 // mill temp data pin
#define LATHE_R_PIN 10 // lathe heat relay
#define MILL_R_PIN 11 // mill heat relay

// set to 60000 for production, 5000 for debugging
//#define LOOP_DELAY 60000
#define LOOP_DELAY 5000

// Create DS18B20 objects
DS18B20 LATHE(LATHE_T_PIN);
DS18B20 MILL(MILL_T_PIN);

bool latheHeat = false;
bool millHeat = false;
float dewPoint = 0.0;
float displayTemperature = 0.0;
float displayHumidity = 0.0;
float latheTemperature = 0.0;
float millTemperature = 0.0;

// degree symbol
byte degreeSymbol[8] = {
0b00110,
0b01001,
0b01001,
0b00110,
0b00000,
0b00000,
0b00000,
0b00000
};

// Initialize DHT sensor for normal 16mhz Arduino.
AM2302 dht(AM2302_PIN);

void setup() {
// set relay pins as output and turn them off
pinMode(LATHE_R_PIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(MILL_R_PIN, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(LATHE_R_PIN, LOW);
digitalWrite(MILL_R_PIN, LOW);

Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Dewbane by Highland Dragon Forge");
Serial.println("Initializing AM2302...");

dht.begin();

Serial.println("Initializing DS18B20 lathe sensor...");
LATHE.readSensor();

Serial.println("Initializing DS18B20 mill sensor...");
MILL.readSensor();

Serial.println("Initializing display...");
// initialize the lcd
lcd.init();
// turn on the backlight
lcd.backlight();
// create degree custom character
lcd.createChar(0, degreeSymbol);
}

void loop() {
// read AM2302 to get temperature and humidity
//
// Reading temperature or humidity takes about 250 milliseconds!
// Sensor readings may also be up to 2 seconds 'old' (its a very slow sensor)
dht.readHumidity();
dht.readTemperature();

// Check if any reads failed and exit early (to try again).
if (isnan(dht.humidity) || isnan(dht.temperature_C)) {
Serial.println("DHT sensor read failure!");
return;
}

// calculate our dew point
dewPoint = dewPointFast(dht.temperature_C, dht.humidity);
displayTemperature = dht.temperature_F;
displayHumidity = dht.humidity;

// read lathe temperature
LATHE.readSensor();
latheTemperature = LATHE.getTemperature_C();

// read mill temperature
MILL.readSensor();
millTemperature = MILL.getTemperature_C();

// toggle heaters
processHeat();

// update the display at the end of each loop
updateDisplay();

// Wait 60 seconds before looping, to give everything time to settle before
// a new round of decision making
delay(LOOP_DELAY);

}

// reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point
double dewPointFast(double celsius, double humidity) {
double a = 17.271;
double b = 237.7;
double temp = (a * celsius) / (b + celsius) + log(humidity*0.01);
double Td = (b * temp) / (a - temp);
return Td;
}

// quick hack to figure out how many spaces to use for a number
int len(float data) {
if (data > 100.0) return 3;
else if (data > 10.0) return 2;
else if (data > 1.0) return 1;
else if (data < -100.0) return 4;
else if (data < -10.0) return 3;
else if (data < -1.0) return 2;
}

float convF(float data) {
return data * 1.8 + 32;
}

void updateDisplay() {
int row = 0;
lcd.setCursor(0,row);
lcd.print(" [Dewbane] ");
lcd.setCursor(0, row);
int temp = (int) displayTemperature;
int humi = (int) displayHumidity;
lcd.print(temp);
lcd.print((char)0);
lcd.print("F");
lcd.setCursor((20 - len(humi) - 1), row);
lcd.print(humi);
lcd.print("%");

row++;
lcd.setCursor(0,row);
lcd.print("Dew Point:");
float dpF = convF(dewPoint);
// move cursor to right minus string length
lcd.setCursor((20 - len(dpF) - 2), row);
int intF = (int) dpF;
lcd.print(intF);
lcd.print((char)0);
lcd.print("F");

row++;
lcd.setCursor(0, row);
lcd.print("Lathe ");
int l = (int) convF(latheTemperature);
lcd.print(l);
lcd.print((char)0);
lcd.print("F "); // intentional trailing spaces
lcd.setCursor(16, row);
if (latheHeat) lcd.print("HEAT");
else lcd.print(" OK ");

row++;
lcd.setCursor(0, row);
lcd.print("Mill ");
l = (int) convF(millTemperature);
lcd.print(l);
lcd.print((char)0);
lcd.print("F "); // intentional trailing spaces
lcd.setCursor(16, row);
if (millHeat) lcd.print("HEAT");
else lcd.print(" OK ");

}

// keep the equipment at least 1.0 C above the dew point at all times
void processHeat() {
if (latheTemperature <= (dewPoint + 1.0)) {
// turn on heat
digitalWrite(LATHE_R_PIN, HIGH);
latheHeat = true;
} else {
// turn off heat
digitalWrite(LATHE_R_PIN, LOW);
latheHeat = false;
}

if (millTemperature <= (dewPoint + 1.0)) {
// turn on heat
digitalWrite(MILL_R_PIN, HIGH);
millHeat = true;
} else {
// turn off heat
digitalWrite(MILL_R_PIN, LOW);
millHeat = false;
}
}

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
If this works well i would honestly pay you for a system setup.

brino

Active User
What, I was going to manufacture these things? Not on your life!
I bet you could find a few customers here.....

Incidentally, I went live with the system with the 5-second delay, because I never uploaded the code again after changing it to a 60-second delay. I was worried about switching things off and on too rapidly, but the sensors an heaters are both slow, and I think this will be fine as is.
If you have the heaters and sensors placed well, then the thermal mass of the machines will slow the feedback down substantially.

I gotta say I am very impressed with your system. It's got an actual need, some research, applied science, real novelty.
Well done!
..and thanks for sharing so much detail it is appreciated.

/rant on
I get really frustrated with the avalanche of microprocessor and especially IoT projects that don't do anything useful.
So many projects seem to be done "because they can" not because it fills a need (1).
I don't need my frig to talk to my toilet, it's rediculous!
(1) okay maybe the benefit of some of those projects is for the person to learn about the system, that's great I support education, but to act like it's useful and gonna help society and save the world come on, open your eyes!
/rant off

I hope you keep us updated with the beta testing. ;)

Thanks!
-brino

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
I bet you could find a few customers here.....
I've been mulling it over, but there are a lot of things to work through to develop a real commercial product. Maybe I should set up a Kickstarter or something.
I gotta say I am very impressed with your system. It's got an actual need, some research, applied science, real novelty.
Well done!
..and thanks for sharing so much detail it is appreciated.
I didn't do it first, but I did it prettier.
I get really frustrated with the avalanche of microprocessor and especially IoT projects that don't do anything useful.
That's why it took me so long to do a project, even though I always could have. Really, this just reflects the approach I've always taken to everything. I've never been a fan of exercises and sample problems. Give me a real problem I can get my hands on, and I can probably figure it out.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
I can't imagine this is a large power use. Can you give info regarding the heaters you used? The only thing that occurred to me is that you may want heaters in the xy table too.
They're 100 watt "oil pan heaters" straight from China. I have definite concerns about not putting a heater directly on the tables, but there just isn't anywhere to mount one except up top. The underside is all open air and screw. I do have a 5" vise on this little mill/drill, and there is a big overhang where I could mount a heater there. I think the power cord would be in my way constantly, and it could potentially make the job even harder when I eventually add DRO.

The base of the casting is much to narrow for the heater, which is roughly 4" square. I could put one under the base, but we'll see how it does before I throw away all the time I spent dialing in the tram.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
I wasn't heating with electricity before, so all I can do is add to the electric bill. It was always going to cost something to protect my equipment, and this just has to be cheaper than my alternatives. It would be interesting to add a clock to my system and track how much time it's actually running the heaters. I could get an approximate idea without spending money on a meter.

How much this costs will depend entirely on the weather, which is wildly variable year to year. The beauty of this system is that my equipment will be above the dew point naturally probably 80% of the time. Even if I heated the entire space, I couldn't guarantee, say, 68 degrees would always be above the dew point. Right now it's 29 out there, but the dew point is 13 and the equipment is at about 30, so it's not burning any watts except the trickle to power the electronics.

20180308_041820.jpg

jwmelvin

Registered
A couple further thoughts:

FYI, pins 0 and 1 on that form of Arduino board are the serial pins, so they don't behave as normally expected for digital I/O.

Using a relay box, you don't want the relay cycling too much, so you would be well served by adding some hysteresis to the switching algorithm. In other words, define a dead band around the desired temperature, and turn the heater on if below that dead band, but don't turn it off until above the dead band. That stops short cycling.

An even better approach to heating is to use a PID algorithm, which will maintain a steady temperature rather than waiting for it to rise and fall. The idea is finding the correct duty cycle for the heater, so that it may spend 30% of the time on, pulsing heat, to maintain your desired temperature. There are PID libraries available for Arduino. When I did this for a heater, I modified the PID routine to include a feed-forward term, allows you to predict the control effort and use that as a starting point. You can look at my code if you are interested. But with a PID controller, you need to use a solid-state relay because you will be cycling the heaters on/off a lot more. For something like you are doing, you might still use a one-minute cycle time, as the system response is very slow. It would just give you a more consistent temperature for the machine.

As you add features to your code, you will want to change to a more independent timing arrangement, rather than using delay. That way you can have several things happening and not have the timing of one affect another. I have used libraries for this, like MSTimer2, but you can do it by just tracking when something last happened and comparing to the current time, millis(), as explained here.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
FYI, pins 0 and 1 on that form of Arduino board are the serial pins, so they don't behave as normally expected for digital I/O.
If I had caught this detail it would have saved time.
Using a relay box, you don't want the relay cycling too much, so you would be well served by adding some hysteresis to the switching algorithm.
Definitely a concern. The code already aims higher than the minimum target temperature (one degree Celsius is a bigger jump than one degree Fahrenheit) with this in mind. The temperature sensors are all slow to reflect changes, and the machines are large thermal masses that won't change temperatures rapidly, so in practice I have some hysteresis in the system. If it proves insufficient, I definitely need to add more.
An even better approach to heating is to use a PID algorithm, which will maintain a steady temperature rather than waiting for it to rise and fall.
The target temperature is a moving target that varies moment to moment with atmospheric conditions. PID algoritms seem to be for things like automotive cruise control, and this system needs to do the equivalent of changing the set speed continuously. I'm not sure that would be a good fit, but could be missing the point.
The idea is finding the correct duty cycle for the heater, so that it may spend 30% of the time on, pulsing heat, to maintain your desired temperature.
Duty cycle is a real concern, and the current design is basically rolling the dice and hoping the heaters never burn out. I have no idea what their rated duty cycle is.[/quote]But with a PID controller, you need to use a solid-state relay because you will be cycling the heaters on/off a lot more.[/quote]I thought all relays were solid state?
As you add features to your code, you will want to change to a more independent timing arrangement, rather than using delay. That way you can have several things happening and not have the timing of one affect another. I have used libraries for this, like MSTimer2, but you can do it by just tracking when something last happened and comparing to the current time, millis(), as explained here.
I'm hoping to walk away and spend my time making things with the equipment. Tweaking the software would be painful at this point. Of course we all know I'm going to have to tweak it sooner or later, because that's the nature of software.

Thanks for the input, and I did look through your code. Food for thought!

jwmelvin

Registered
The target temperature is a moving target that varies moment to moment with atmospheric conditions.
Yes, for sure. PID has no issue with a changing set point. It just does a better job of maintaining the setpoint than does bang-bang control like your're using.

Duty cycle is a real concern, and the current design is basically rolling the dice and hoping the heaters never burn out.
I'm betting you will be fine, since the metal conducts heat well and will limit the temperature of the heating element.

I thought all relays were solid state?
Definitely not. It appears the IoT Relay you are using has an electromechanical relay, aka an air-gap relay. This is good/important for safety since it fully disconnects the output when desired. A solid-state relay is a form of transistor and has some leakage voltage even when off. But SSRs can handle applications with high switching rates. For your application, I don't think it's significant, but if you were using a PID controller, you might care.

I'm hoping to walk away and spend my time making things with the equipment.
I completely understand and it's almost for sure the right choice. Thanks again for sharing. I may end up doing something similar down the road.

whitmore

Registered
They're 100 watt "oil pan heaters" straight from China. I have definite concerns about not putting a heater directly on the tables...
The base of the casting is much to narrow for the heater, which is roughly 4" square. I could put one under the base, but we'll see how it does before I throw away all the time I spent dialing in the tram.
A few thoughts:
First, there's high voltage safety concerns using AC heaters, so it might pay to get some
thermoelectric 'cooler' modules instead: you can run those off safe low voltage DC, so they
pump heat into the cast iron from a 'cold side'. Fitted with some suitable vanes, the cold
side will condense water into any convenient bucket or drain... lowering the moisture content
of the air and protecting the hand tools and loose metal around the shop, not just the lathe and mill.

Second, a good thermal scheme might be to put a variety of heat exchangers onto the tools
that take circulating water/antifreeze to a central site (over the drain) with the
heat pumping modules. One might use quick-connect fittings to keep the
fluid from leaking, but it's low enough pressure that those can be plastic.quick-disconnect example

Third, calculating the dew point is a GREAT step forward. Percent humidity was a relatively
useless metric, and it dominated the discussion for too long. There are circumstances (like
entering the eye of a cyclonic disturbance) where the air pressure changes quickly and
the dew point changes VERY FAST. Lenticular clouds routinely form in the winds over
mountaintops, for instance. So, the 'dew point' margin might be expanded for safety
in windy conditions (there's always high wind before entering the eye).

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
...I have an unheated, uninsulated shop with a dirt floor, and I've been battling serious condensation problems all winter.
Not to derail the subject, and I like your solution, but the dirt floor is likely a large part of your problem. I put up a fabric garage to store my plane while I repair it (damaged during an off airport emergency landing) and everything inside was dripping from the moisture coming up through the ground. I solved it by building a raised floor: I laid down black sheet plastic over the dirt, wooden pallets over that, then covered it all with 3/8" chipboard screwed to the pallets to tie it all together. It's not perfectly level (far from it, really), but it's solid and it's now dry as a bone inside.

The picture shows it with the floor half done.
IMG_20171203_183230074.jpg

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
Definitely not. It appears the IoT Relay you are using has an electromechanical relay, aka an air-gap relay.
All of that went over my head until now. I didn't know solid state relays were a thing. I went and did some reading, and I'm less ignorant now. Interesting!

Well, it's 20 out there. My equipment is fine, but my only source of serious BTUs at the moment is unvented propane. I'm sure Dewbane would kick the heaters on within moments of firing up the gas, but I would be really surprised if this rig could get the equipment up to temperature fast enough to avoid condensation.

I can think of scenarios with pre-heaters triggered from my phone, but the practical thing to do is keep that bottle of CRC 3-36 handy, and hose everything down to ride out the big sweat until the metal warms up in due course.

Have I mentioned that I really hate winter, and I can't wait for it to leave me alone?

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
Not to derail the subject, and I like your solution, but the dirt floor is likely a large part of your problem.
The dirt floor definitely doesn't help, but this shop started life as my smithy, and grew equipment as I made excuses to acquire it. A dirt floor is really good for a smithy, while a wood floor is really bad. The one floor that works for both is concrete, and I can't afford that yet. Good suggestions though!

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
I really wanted to work in the shop today, so I broke down and hooked up the unvented propane tank heater. The relative humidity jumped way up, and I did get minor condensation on the mill tables and lathe chuck, but it really didn't take long at all to balance out. Maybe five minutes. I was pleased.

jwmelvin

Registered
That’s awesome. Five minutes seems quite fast. It’d be easy to add a preheat button but maybe not worth it if it can recover that quickly.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Where can i sign up to buy one of these?

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
Where can i sign up to buy one of these?
I have on the order of $125 in raw materials in this thing, and I doubt I could shave my costs enough to produce a product people would actually buy. I'm concerned about the liability too. It's all fun and games until something goes wrong and your shop burns down. Then you go looking for someone to sue, or your homeowner's insurance company does. My shop is my problem, but I'm not really keen to make other people's shop my problem. My wife and I had a long talk, and even though there is some interest, it's probably just not worth it in the long run. The more customers I have, the greater the chances that someone is going to play the jerk card. I got sued once for giving a guy $100 for free.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
The system seems to be up to the challenge of keeping condensation at bay when I fire up the gas on a snowy day that's a little below freezing. I worked out there longer than I ever have with the heat on, and the equipment didn't sweat much at all. The humidity skyrockets with the exhaust emissions of the propane, but the ambient air temperature helps bring the equipment temperature up. It works out reasonably well.

When I fired up my gas forge within my shop, however, I developed dramatic amounts of frosty milk on my equipment right away. The system can't handle THAT much water vapor. I don't normally run the gas forge inside the shop, but we got a deep snow, and I only had a small heat treating job to do.

[6]
[5] [7]