• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

My condensation management setup worked!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I understand man. Its an awesome idea

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I have on the order of $125 in raw materials in this thing, and I doubt I could shave my costs enough to produce a product people would actually buy. I'm concerned about the liability too. It's all fun and games until something goes wrong and your shop burns down. Then you go looking for someone to sue, or your homeowner's insurance company does. My shop is my problem, but I'm not really keen to make other people's shop my problem. My wife and I had a long talk, and even though there is some interest, it's probably just not worth it in the long run. The more customers I have, the greater the chances that someone is going to play the jerk card. I got sued once for giving a guy $100 for free.
OK, send me $100 and I guarantee that I will not sue you.

JDS77

Registered
Registered
Very cool that you have shared this with us we all have this problem or have had please keep us posted

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
If only i knewcwhat i was doing with this stuff.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
If only i knewcwhat i was doing with this stuff.
I admit, I had a lot of random stuff in my background that made it pretty easy for me to dive in and get this to work. I've written a lot of C++, and I've done a lot with MIDI and audio recording. I came up as a programmer back when 64k was the limit of the universe.

The weird thing is I've never been able to get what I consider a real job. I drive a truck for a living, because I'm good at that too, and it pays the bills better than my foreign language degree ever did. I'm extremely burnt out after 20 years, and I don't want to do this for the rest of my life, but I have no idea how to turn whatever potential I have into a career. Lots of people over the years have asked me why I don't do this or that, but nobody has suggested a plan I could figure out. If only I knew what I was doing with this moving and job interviewing stuff.

Now that I'm getting into this machinist stuff, and starting to figure out what everybody was talking about all these years with their "half a thou" and stuff, it makes me think I missed a real opportunity. Then I see they are hiring new CNC machinists with many thousands of dollars of school behind them for $12 an hour. I can make $11 an hour at Walmart as a cashier. I can probably do better than $12 working in the tire shop, and I can definitely do better than $12 driving a truck. So much for being a machinist. It sure is a lot of complicated crap to learn for $12. CAD/CAM and whatever language CNC programs are written in. For $12?! People who work with their hands can't get no respect.

I'm rambling.

JDS77

Registered
Registered
I know how you feel i made a lot more money driving truck i still went back to the machine shop with no window the man breathing down your neck waiting on the clock only to find out you are going to stay late to make everyone happy the cnc was fun a real challenge to put out tight tol plus min 0.00025 for long run of parts of expensive material
Nomater what you choose it will beat you down in the end with health problems
Not much fun
Put money away 401 ect be ready for it
Pay as you go
But still live life while you can
I am 55 now have my own tools to make what i want when i want
And i get the money
There's a rant for you have a good day

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
Nomater what you choose it will beat you down in the end with health problems
That's a fact. I'm already on an alphabet soup of pills at 45, and that won't be getting any better. My hips and knees are shot.

I shot a video when I first got my forge and anvil, and you can literally watch the swelling as my tendon blew out on about the third hammer blow. It took months for that to heal enough to hammer again.

Oh well, I'm glad I took the plunge on all of this stuff while I still have some time to learn and enjoy myself. I like forging knives, and I like machine work. I got the machines to make easier work of guards and pommels, but once you have a lathe and mill, even if they're on the light duty side, you can make a LOT of stuff. Throw in a forge and a little cheap welder, and there are a lot of possibilities. I'm enjoying myself right now.

JDS77

Registered
Registered
Thats the spirit and thats my plan as well fun with toys

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Im excited to set up my shop i have tons of projects planned my biggest thing will be getting materials now to do this (sigh) i guess it will be a bit longer to realy get going.

JDS77

Registered
Registered
Yes i can do a lot with a little but it had to something with nothing like materials

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
Im excited to set up my shop i have tons of projects planned my biggest thing will be getting materials now to do this (sigh) i guess it will be a bit longer to realy get going.
I know that feeling all too well. I find Clickspring hugely inspiring, for example, but that guy uses aluminum glue arbors like paper plates. Aluminum is probably the cheapest metal, but the cost goes up exponentially with the diameter, and some of the stuff I've seen is over $100 for ONE INCH. This is probably why everybody seems to have an aluminum foundry and sand casting setup.

It's just a shame this doesn't work on brass. I've done knives with steel furniture and knives with brass. Brass makes a big impact. Look at this thing: knife.jpg
It just wouldn't be the same with steel, but the brass was $$EXPENSIVE$$.

It's also really addictive to work on a lathe. Damn but brass shapes easy compared to steel. Especially compared to high carbon drill rod, which is the other thing I turn most of the time, to make fasteners and such.

Heh, I'm off the rails off topic hijacking my own thread. It doesn't really get the thread back on topic, but I turned the pommel on that knife on my lathe. You can barely tell after all the work I did with a grinder, and it wasn't at all an efficient use of material.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
@JDS77 i was just saying hw im the same way im doing it for the fun of it and to possibly grow and make it into a side job. But from buying the machines and such im low on cash to buy materials i need to do projects now.

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
@JDS77 i was just saying hw im the same way im doing it for the fun of it and to possibly grow and make it into a side job. But from buying the machines and such im low on cash to buy materials i need to do projects now.
This is a source of stress for me every day as well. I went all in, and my budget just didn't go far enough. My machine purchases included a cheap home vinyl cutter to do masks for etching. I used the cutter to produce a nice big sign for the back window of my pickup truck, and everywhere I go I'm pointing people to a website that doesn't even exist yet, because I don't have the money to set up the site I expected to have running two months ago. Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

I have $6.41 in my disposable income account right now. Whooooeeeeee! Take that out in pennies so I can jingle while I walk.

My real bills are covered though. That's the main thing. Really, I'm just having to return to my roots. When I first got into making stuff, I was a broke kid with two babies to feed, and I had to dig through a lot of trash to find materials I could use. I actually used some of that trash to make a stand for my anvil 20 years later. It was a waterbed frame somebody threw out in the '90s. Good yellow pine I was saving for a suitable project. This is why I'm a hoarder. I always use my junk eventually!

I'm better off than I was, and I'm going to be fine in the long run. It took me years to replace my lousy railroad track with a real anvil, and that anvil cost almost $1,000. OUCH!!!! But it was all worth it. I don't really care if I make a dime at any of this. Man, I can make pretty damn nice looking knives now, I can make knobs, I can make jigs and fixtures that are retailing for hundreds of dollars, I can make funky specialized screws, and I have just barely scratched the surface of what I can do with this shop. I once tried to make a macro focusing rail for a camera using pop rivet and hardware store bolt level technology. Put my mind to that problem now, and I bet I could fabricate something wicked.

JDS77

Registered
Registered
Man more power to you i never had kids to worry about didn't get married till after 40 i always worked on things motorcycles cars and everything in between first became a machinist in early 80,s because of racing then lost my job because of racing go figure but there's always a lathe and a MILL somewhere close moved around alot chasing my racing dream but screwed that up moved back to my home state of Nebraska to restart went from making 24 a hr and up to about min wage took a longtime to get where life was right and all of suden i am old
But now i have a nice little shop a pm835s mill and a couple of craftsman lathes plus other much needed tools and i am trying hard to put them to work to make me right with the world again it's not about money it's about feeling good

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Now then, this thread is a good read.
We need a rating system to cover an entire thread. :cool:

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Ever been a third party listening to a conversation that is interesting, and then they start talking in a foreign language. Then they start back up in English again, and your left wondering what just happenedo_O. Neat idea though.......:encourage:

dewbane

Michael McIntyre
Registered
As I got ready to go out into the blizzard to knock the snow off the flimsy roof, my son said, "Oh yeah! You need to make sure your system is working."

I told him I wasn't worried about condensation under these circumstances, and that wasn't my reason for heading out there. As it happened, this day had exactly the sort of conditions that could have resulted in condensation, and I didn't even think about it. Temperature 32, dew point 32, 99% relative humidity.

20180325_003439.jpg

I found no condensation on anything. The heaters had been doing their thing, and the equipment was just warm enough. Sweet!

20180325_003342.jpg 20180325_003344.jpg 20180325_003358.jpg

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
It is always very satisfying when something works the way it was envisioned, planned and built.

[6]
[5] [7]