My Craftsman 12" X 36" Barn Find

I'd really like to see your project but the photos only show error???

TLW,

If photos are embedded using the UPLOAD A FILE button, which is the quick and dirty way to do it, the files are stored in a different location than in PHOTOS. There are apparently no participation restrictions, which is good for new members. But if you later need to use the same photo in another thread, you have to upload it again. Plus you can't search for photos stored that way. The thread originator uploaded all of his photos first to an Album in PHOTOS and inserted a link in the thread. This potentially saves space and gets around the other two limitations but members have to either have 30 posts and be added to the ACTIVE MEMBER group, or be a member of the SUPPORT group (meaning that they made a donation within the past six months)..

Anyway, if the error message says something about your not having access, that's why you can't see them now. You can, of course, make a small donation which should cause them to appear.

Just a thought- After the super clean and a dish washing rinse (real hot water
rinse and dry, paint to taste before the inner oil surfaces again. Use real oil
paint and brushes..........BLJHB.

Have you made any chips with the lathe yet? Ultimately I'd like to do the same type of restoration to my 3996 but I have to get the "bugs" out of it first. Mine looked better then yours when I purchased it but there were several hidden issues. Nothing that can't be fixed of course but it takes time to round up all the parts.
I'm not familiar with the tach. I understand its application on a variable speed lathe but how is it used on a fixed speed? Are you using it just as a quick reference or have you changed the pulley/belt drive to something else?
Very nice looking job!

Nice job on the resto Joe , bummer about the lever . If I were going to fix it I would make a spacer and then pin the holes so every thing lines up and braze away , good luck .

Great job bringing the old iron back to life. This was actually my first lathe, minus the QC box. Fought with the gear set for years until my SB came along. I still use the Atlas though.

Give this place a try for the bracket. http://www.mymachineshop.net/

Spent four months on the restoration and I can't believe how much I missed using it!! I don't use it EVERY day, but it gets used 3-4 times a week. We're a "racing family" and the ability to make bushings, etc. is truly priceless. My youngest son is now into quarter-midgets and it has several radius rods that need to be tapped and the bodies knurled, this lathe is ideal for that!

It's nice to see one of those machines properly restored. Thanks

Back