My Craftsman 12" X 36" Barn Find

Dlane, kinda funny, I cleaned them with 2+2 and Castrol Super Clean, then stripped any remaining paint. The parts looked great to me, in raw steel, and I'm sure that in 5 hours I can have them back. Wayne (my powder coating buddy) takes them and says "Can't have them back for a few days, I've learned the hard way, these need to cook for a while". He baked them twice at 400 degrees for 2 hours each time. Thankfully his shop is detached from his house because the remaining oil smoked out like a chimney!! I'm sure some Atlas purists may disagree, but I felt that powder coating was the best way for me to go. It may be a "tick" lighter in color, but it's really close.
Thanks for all the kind words, I was really torn because I really NEED a lathe, but it was basically unusable the way it was. We applied the old "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right" theory and you see the results! This same guy I bought this from had a #1 Dake Arbor Press that was rusted beyond belief and we also brought that back to life. I'll sneak a picture of that on here soon!

Super Clean and there was still oil and grease left? Wow, I would have bet the wrong way on that.
I'll take the powder coat, and the purists can come to like it. That is not a bad way to go at all.
And 60 years or more from now someone else might have it and be amazed at the paint job.
That is a fantastic restoration, wish I had the patience (and time) to do it up that way.
(and a buddy with powder coating abilities.... )

Nice looking result!
After all the de-rusting, are the ways flat on top and parallel to the underside?

If not already done set the bed upside down on a surface plate and check for complete contact end-to-end and front-to-back, then mic the thickness at close intervals on the outside front and back to see if the thickness is constant from end to end. Check the width from outside front to outside back as well. Any deviations in these measurements will cause the carriage to slip too easily in some areas then bind somewhere else.

Spiral_Chips

Welllll...... major league setback.... Anyone know where I can get an Atlas/Craftsman 10-1586? I was pushing the pin back in and it broke. Not a fan of cast welding, so I'd like to get another one. Clausing will sell me one for $354, but that is out of the question. HELP!!
Reminds me of the Crown Royal commercial with the broken bottle on the sidewalk.... "Ever seen a grown man cry"

Last edited:
That piece looks thick enough to be brazed back together easily. Even if you have to take it to a welding shop you'll be money ahead. Hopefully you'll find a replacement but if not it should be an easy repair. Beautiful lathe by the way.

That just sucks :(. I think that would be a good candidate for nickel-bronze brazing. Maybe bolt it together first?

Back