My Current UPS Saga

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just off the phone with UPS (Unionized Parcel Smashers), I paid extra for a delivery on Friday and then to the package delivery has been rescheduled to Monday. Then this morning I get 2 emails within about 2 hours of each other, one saying the package has been rescheduled for delivery on Tuesday and the other one saying its out for delivery.

So I called the 800 number for UPS, a voice mail round-about, that has absolutely no way to actually talking to a human being. I go through this round-about for about 5 minutes, each successive reroute, has that lingering question, am I moving closer to or further away with each connection.

I called a friend who works for UPS, he gave me the same 800 number, but gave me a routine to follow, that finally lead to a recording, that I was inline for the next available rep, in the order that my call was received. I put the phone on speaker phone and listened to roughly 12 minutes of mind-numbing noodling jazz music, then a voice, not quite true English, but somewhat close. I give him the info about the conflicting messages, he seems totally baffled/dumbfounded, so I go on hold, about 5 minutes later, I get the quasi-certain answer, that it appears, its on the truck and will be delivered today, possibly. And that’s where my inquiry end, more confused than when I originally called.

So I’m wondering what worse, calling UPS, the IRS, the DMV, your credit card company or your doctor’s office. They have worked diligently over the years, to perfect the automated call answering/voice mail systems, to the stage where it gotten to the point where, in this age of information, they have perfected the art of making the information your looking for unobtainable.

I just got off the phone with the supplier, he said they are disabling the shipping options, as UPS will no longer guaranty delivery dates, regardless of what you paid for. He said you pay for speedy shipment, but you will get whatever you get, and they will not reimburse any money back, blaming all delays on the pandemic. So if your ordering anything, be wary of promised delivery dates, at least ask if they have had issues, then you decide if it worth the extra money, for “speedy” delivery.

Last edited:
I have seen some odd stuff the last two weeks in shipping UPS and others. I think the pandemic + riots might be disrupting service in a lot of urban areas. I live out of the city limits near a small town so I sometimes forget what life is like in more populous parts of the world. I have 2 UPS packages that show "on the truck" today. One from Califiornia what has meandered around for a week or more. One from IL that left the vendor yesterday. Both 3 day service and both arriving today (I hope).

It's all BS if you ask me. Just another organization that found a way to utilize the pandemic and/or demonstrations as a way to not be responsible for anything. It is the true way of American enterprise these days - greedy corporate profits above all else. I do not blame the drivers or front line people......

I feel your pain...
I ordered a TIG welder on May 11. Shipped on May 13. Company is located in NJ. I'm on the West Coast of Canada.
It had a schedule delivery date of May 23.
At 6 am, May 21 it arrived in my city where it sat till it was finally delivered on June 6.
From May 23rd till the day it was delivered, UPS told the shipper that "it was out for delivery" that day.
The shipper finally got the number of the local depot. He called every day, I called twice.
The second time I called I was told they were over run with packages and that they were delivering small ones first.

Fortunately I had evidence that was not true as a larger item I ordered arrived at the depot the day after my welder and it was delivered on the 26th.

On the day it was actually delivered they called me at 0645 and said "we found your package and are putting it on a truck for delivery today".
So all of the stories about it being on the truck were clearly a stall tactic.

I recommend getting the number of your local depot and hounding them.

Last edited:
UPS is having problems. I've had 2-3 deliveries that said they were out for delivery only to get a notice later in the day that the package is still at a distribution center. I have a pair of tires that were supposed to be here Friday that now are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. All I can say is try to be patient. They're working as fast as they possibly can right now and mistakes do happen.

BTW: My son sold his Xbox on the bay. We shipped it out 2 weeks ago. UPS said it was delivered 3 days later. Purchaser said he didn't receive it. We filed a claim. It turns out the purchaser moved 2 states away and never updated their shipping address with PP or eBay. Guess who got stuck with the extra shipping charges. It wasn't the purchaser.

Last edited:
Addendum to my post:
One thing that I told my local depot was that I was sympathetic to their situation but to be told that an item is out for delivery when it's clearly not is not helping their situation.

The ironic part of my situation is that before I bought my welder, I asked the vendor (Primeweld) if they shipped via FedEx. They said they stopped after FedEx lost a number of packages.
Because we never expected to see the original welder, the vendor sent another welder via FedEx. It is supposed to arrive this Thursday.

Last edited:
Seems to be a common problem with ups. Happened to me just a week ago. Paid extra for 3 day select , did not happen. Terrible service. Fedex in my area is a much better bet. They do Saturday deliveries AND I have even seen their trucks on Sunday. If I have a choice I pick Fedex. USPS has been pretty good lately as well. In some cases have had really good service.

UPS service sucked long before the pandemic. Had trouble with their commercial service a couple of years ago when I got my lathe and mill.

After 6 phone calls, about 3 hrs of my time and great restraint (no four letter arias), I was told it would be handled within an hour. One hour and fifteen minutes later a UPS truck pulled up in the driveway and the part was handed to me, with a well rehearsed and a not very believable, pathetic, I’m sorry for the inconvenience speech. The part was in my hand, boy I’m glad I spent that $50 for the expedited delivery, only 3 days late and no recourse for the extra fees. You live and you learn.

Back