[4]

My Diamond M-22 Mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Erichimedes

Registered
Since there's only one post in the Diamond machine tool section, I figured I'd post a few pictures of mine and try to populate the forum just a little bit.

This little mill was offered to me by an acquaintance for a couple months before I finally broke down and bought it. I already had my Bridgeport, so I didn't want to jump into a second milling machine, but this area's a bit of a machine desert, so I felt like I should get it and make it work for what I do.

It also came with a Rusnok vertical milling attachment, but I haven't gotten that up and running yet, so I'll post more info if I get it going.

IMG_1915_zpsth5g9pg0.jpg
This is shortly after getting it into my shop. I turned it on and immediately realized that some bearings were out. I took the idler with all the pulleys off and found the culprit.

IMG_1917_zpsg0ycc0l6.jpg
The offending bearing.

IMG_1935_zpstimhey3b.jpg
A little searching online, and I found the needed bearing, and pressed it in. The one on the other end seemed to be in good shape, so I left it alone. I ended up having to shim this bearing block a little bit, and it seemed to run much smoother.

IMG_1939_zpsknlrpxti.jpg
Got it all back together, and the flywheel back on.

IMG_1944_zpsbyzr90r5.jpg
Cleaned up the table and ways.

IMG_1943_zpsf5krklgg.jpg
And got it back together.

DSC01231_zpsnpxmxkp4.jpg
And this is how I use it now, with hole saws for mitering bicycle tubes.

DSC01226_zpsoglbttp2.jpg

I'll also take the jigs off the table and use it for an odd horizontal operation that my Bridgeport is less suited for. The B&S #9 taper is a bit of a pain in the rear to use with collets, as they tend to wedge themselves in there really tight. So I've just recently set it up with a ER32 collet chuck, and I'm looking forward to how that will increase the usability of the mill. I'll post some pictures soon.

Attachments

LsSix

Registered
Registered
Looks identical to a machine that was for sale here a while ago, if I wasnt already dedicated to buying my Vernon for about the same price I would have been tempted to snatch it up.

Mills are not exactly rare here but you are lucky to see any under 2G.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I like that model too, looks a bit taller than my M20 and a longer table also- nice. Also considering a ER style adapter or chuck with a 3/4" straight shaft or BS-9 taper, (probably have to make the latter). My power feed pulley is chipped; most likely from someone pounding on the drawbar, I've heard it's a good idea to oil the collets before putting them in to keep them from sticking so tight. Maybe silicone spray would work even better?
Mark S.

Last edited:

Erichimedes

Registered
I like that model too, looks a bit taller than my M20 and a longer table also- nice. Also considering a ER style adapter or chuck with a 3/4" straight shaft or BS-9 taper, (probably have to make the latter). My power feed pulley is chipped; most likely from someone pounding on the drawbar, I've heard it's a good idea to oil the collets before putting them in to keep them from sticking so tight. Maybe silicone spray would work even better?
Mark S.
I don't have my ER32 collets yet, but I mounted a chuck with a 3/4 straight shaft in my 3/4 B&S 9 collet. It works out well, because I just dialed in the runout of the ER chuck to cancel out the runout of the B&S collet, so it's within about .0005 TIR.

Oiling up that B&S taper sounds like a good idea, I may do that next time the collet is out.

carkrazd

Registered
Registered
2749e7a7d8ddd79a02c81b8bcfdc45cf.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

Attachments

carkrazd

Registered
Registered
I like that model also, I have had mine for about 20 years.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

markba633csi

Can't see your pic Carkrazd, can you upload it without Tapatalk?
MS

markba633csi

Erichimedes: Gwarner has/had a BS-9 arbor he said he didn't need. You can find him under the "Nichols mill" area.
Mark S.

LsSix

Registered
Registered
I think a horizontal mill is in my future. They are pretty reasonably priced when they pop up compared to vertical mills.

If I may ask what are you guys paying for yours? Im considering one thats priced at 300 but its a 14 hour round trip to fetch.

Erichimedes

Registered
I think a horizontal mill is in my future. They are pretty reasonably priced when they pop up compared to vertical mills.

If I may ask what are you guys paying for yours? Im considering one thats priced at 300 but its a 14 hour round trip to fetch.

I paid a little more than that for mine, and I felt like I got a really great deal. The closest city that has any selection of machinery at all is 7 hours away, so I was ecstatic to find this one locally. At 300, I would say don't sweat the drive as long as you have a good feeling that it's not junk before you head over there. It's not a bad idea to line up showings for a few different machines so you at least make full use of the trip.

markba633csi

OK I paid a grand for mine, BUT: I got the Rotex head which is at least as good as the Rusnok if not better. Plus all the horizontal items, and an arbor with spacers, and a vise. Plus it was only 2 cities away so I just had to get a Harbor Freight hoist and go get it. So overall maybe not a STEAL, but a good fair deal. In this area we don't see many small mills very often. Or else Ulma Doctor drives up from Tracy and gets there before me LOL!
I didn't have the room for a Bridgeport, and I wanted both Horiz and Vert capability, single phase power, and didn't want chinese.
Mark S.

[6]
[5] [7]