My DIY Atlas 618 milling attachment

Cool idea! Can you swivel both the compound, the angle plate and the compound to vise?

Would it be better to reverse the orientation of the compound, so it remains vertical, and the vise can swivel off of it?

I'm a noob and want to make something similar, any advise relating to this would be appreciated!!
Yes, you can set angles in both directions to be able to mill some really funky ramps! However, in both cases you have to loosen the fasteners to adjust the angle so it is tough to get a really precise angle dialed in.

I'm not sure how the compound could be re-oriented. The advance knob would have to be between the bed ways?

When I was scratching out the design, I looked at the travel available with the compound. I then tried to position the vise so that the fixed jaw could come up to the center line of the cutter and down towards the bed as far as possible.

Note that I got a mill/drill a couple of months ago and I don't see myself using this anymore. But anything is possible. This setup can hold stock in ways that would be impossible on a normal mill. Maybe I'll have a reason to mill a feature into the end of a piece that is too long to fit under the mill's spindle? In any event, it was a fun project for a rookie and I learned a lot doing it.

Craig

Looks like Necessity the MOTHER of invention just gave birth to another useful widigt.

Yes, you can set angles in both directions to be able to mill some really funky ramps! However, in both cases you have to loosen the fasteners to adjust the angle so it is tough to get a really precise angle dialed in.

I'm not sure how the compound could be re-oriented. The advance knob would have to be between the bed ways?

When I was scratching out the design, I looked at the travel available with the compound. I then tried to position the vise so that the fixed jaw could come up to the center line of the cutter and down towards the bed as far as possible.

Note that I got a mill/drill a couple of months ago and I don't see myself using this anymore. But anything is possible. This setup can hold stock in ways that would be impossible on a normal mill. Maybe I'll have a reason to mill a feature into the end of a piece that is too long to fit under the mill's spindle? In any event, it was a fun project for a rookie and I learned a lot doing it.

Craig

I guess when i said reorient the compound, i have seen other similar designs where the t-slot of the compound attaches to the 90 degree plate, and the base of the compound is used to attach the milling vise.

I suppose your way gives more possible configurations... i am wondering if you will need to rotate the compound anywhere but vertical.

Because you could always rotate the vise, and thus the part, to achieve any desired angle. Therefore, you would never need to tilt the direction of travel...

I guess it would make more sense if i could get my hands on it and try different setups. Like i said i am kind of a amateur, so im sure there is a setup where you would need to pivot both.

I will be making my own ‘diy compound milling attachment’ in the next week or so. I will post photos if i remember to take them.

Any sources for endmill holders, or is Ebay the best bet?

Cool idea! Can you swivel both the compound the angle plate and the compound to vise?

Would it be better to reverse to orientation of the compound, so it remains vertical, and the vise can swivel off of it?

Im a noob and want to make something similar, any advise relating to this would be appreciated!!

John

You might be able to get some ideas off this one.
Its been a real life saver for me.

Any sources for endmill holders, or is Ebay the best bet?

I went with a few from Shars:

OTOH, there is an issue with runout on the morse taper of my 618. I'm still trying to track down the source and determine if I can fix it. It may be as simple as needing more preload on the bearings but I haven't had a chance to look closely.

Craig

I guess when i said reorient the compound, i have seen other similar designs where the t-slot of the compound attaches to the 90 degree plate, and the base of the compound is used to attach the milling vise.
Ahh, I think I see what you mean now! It never crossed my mind to design it with the T-slot facing the tailstock--might be an improvement.

I think the key thing is rigidity--this contraption is not very rigid!! I have mechanical attachments (threaded fasteners) between the vise, adapter plate, angle block and cross-slide. Plus the further the vise is from the centre line of the compound, the more leverage it has. All of that contributes to poor rigidity. If you can work out a design that gives better/fewer mechanical attachments and/or less leverage, then you'll get a better overall result, I think. One possibility might be to use a much larger angle block and make it face the tail stock rather than the head stock? The bigger plate might impact cross-slide travel, too.

BTW, I had thought that I might fixture parts right onto the angle plate for milling. I can drill and tap holes into the angle plate to secure the part if need be. That could really improve rigidity in some cases but gives up "Y" axis positioning.

Craig

Hey, I have a question... what size are these belts (looks like 3L) and do you have rubbing on the spindle lid where the belt is near the top at the rear of it or on your counter shaft where it passes under the cross member (part of the casting) before the pulley? I'm having the hardest time figuring out something that seems so simple. So frustrated, ANY help would be so appreciated. Thanks. -John

@JRT I used a segmented belt (aka link belt) between the countershaft and spindle so I just made it as long as needed. The length you need depends on where you mount the countershaft assembly relative to the headstock.

3L belts should sit down in the grooves of the pulley and thus not rub on the cover.

HTH

Craig
BTW, I sold the lathe this year so this is all from memory.

Reactions: JRT
Thank you Craig, all this time and I think I finally figured it out! I went back to it, ut the link belts back on and under tension and now they sit low enough to clear! Thank you. -John

Back