My drilling project

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My project today, that is in "what I did today thread", caused me a problem. My OEM clutch Z bar had to be adjusted, with a relocated hole. I used my calculator for RPM used a 140* pilot, 3/8" CL shorty bit, and just polished the hole. If I'm going to burn a bit, I changed to a jobber Erwin. It screeched, and made all kinds of noise,I started just pulling hard, and then it just started cutting. I adjusted speed RPM up, and down from the calculated RPM, but I think the OEM steel is harder than what I was using as an input, and my machine will not run the RPM indicated 3056, ( if I calculated it right). Wondering what I was doing wrong...input......RPM....or bit type. Thank you

I always thought they used mild steel for those bellcranks. I know some off road vehicles had forged steel bellcranks but I didn't think Chevy used them. Did you check the metal with a file? If it cuts then it should drill fine.

Assuming it is some mild steel then I would try a pilot drill, maybe about 1/8", then the 3/8" drill. I would run the 3/8" drill much slower (maybe 250-300 rpm) and use higher drilling pressure. This should allow the drill to cut instead of burnish. I probably drill wrong and tend to go slower than recommended but with higher feed pressures. For me, the drill cuts better and cooler.

Thanks Mike, It does not scratch easily, and I burned the teeth off of a Bosch jig saw blade. I ended up using a cut off wheel. I tried going at 90, 600, and higher with the drill, I would lean into it, back off for several tries keeping it lubed, and then it just started cutting. I should have verified RPM with a known source too.

Huh, must be some kind of high carbon steel that got work hardened. I hope you got the hole drilled by now. I would have suggested a carbide drill that works at much higher speeds but probably too late now.

Thank you, yes it's done, once it finally started cutting there was no problem, just like mild steel. I dunno:confused 3:

Back