My english wheel build

Were you working off of plans, or designing as you go? What was your frame made out of? C Channel? Tubing?

I designed it. I bought the wheel and anvils, but everything else is home grown. I designed it to incorporate materials I had laying around the shop as much as possible. The frame is aluminum tubing from the local salvage yard. I bought a large plate of aluminum from the salvage yard, and have made a lot of different projects with it over the years. I used aluminum to keep it (relatively) light. I caught a lot of flack for the aluminum frame on another forum, as I was building it, saying thin walled aluminum would never be rigid enough for an English Wheel. The English Wheel slides into receivers on the wall and stores on a rack when not in use to save shop space. Receivers top & bottom give the light weight frame extra rigidity so there's no flex. Outside corner of the wall becomes part of the frame support. I have a small welding table, bench vise, a bead roller & a couple other smaller tools that all use the same receiver. They all fit on the wall behind the door when not in use.

MetalToolsStorage2.jpg

Great job, well thought out system. Looks to me like Coal City engineering 1, forum naysayers 0. Cheers, Mike

Back