My favorite antique tool.

yota

Registered
Registered
it's a pretty simple mechanism. about a year and a half ago I went to look at some wood working clamps that I found on craigslist. in the back of the garage sitting on a moving dolly was an old anvil with a lot of dirt and surface rust. I asked if it was for sale and was told that he might part with it as he'd never gotten around to using it. agreed on $225.00 which I thought was fair but kind of high as I knew nothing about anvils. took both of the guys huge teenage sons to load it into my truck.

got it home and cleaned it up and realized it had some cool markings on it. 1913 220lb Fisher Anvil. did some research and found that Fisher started making anvils in the 1800's, mostly for the US Navy. hence the eagle with anchor logo. slathered it with rust dissolver, washed with soapy water and rubbed it in Corrosion Block.

IMG_20190510_133219.jpg

Nice anvil!
A dollar a pound would be about the right price here too.

-brino

I have an anvil that has the eagle, is dated 1941 and has the number 30, it weighs 237 lbs. Around here anvils are worth a good deal more that a dollar per pound.

I have an anvil that has the eagle, is dated 1941 and has the number 30, it weighs 237 lbs. Around here anvils are worth a good deal more that a dollar per pound.
from my research, if it has the number 30 on it, it should weigh 300 lbs.

In all the CL adds I see around here people are asking slightly less per pound of anvil than they are asking per ounce of gold.

Are you going to try to attack the rust in a spooge tank? I.e. water + electricity?

from my research, if it has the number 30 on it, it should weigh 300 lbs.
Perhaps it should, but I weighed it many years ago. I do not have a scale any more so cannot re weigh it; it is a big one!

Back