My Favorite Tap Handle...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
All,

Here's a photo of my favorite tap handle. I made this over 40 years ago at roughly the age of 12 or 13 and it's a regularly used tool in my shop. The V-blocks are wearing out because the metal is not hardened at all.

TH1.JPG

I've been meaning to re-make this tool for a long time and I felt like celebrating a little today because, yesterday was the official end of my old job and today, I officially got the approvals, permits and filings to start my own consulting company. I'm thinking of making that tap handle the official logo. -We'll see.

Anyhow, without further delay, we'll kick-off this fun little project and as always, I'll toss-in some tidbits of information along the way.

Here's a 3D model and two drawings with dimensions needed to make this. If anyone can't see/read the dimensions, just contact me offline and I'll send you better drawings. For some reason, the PDFs I make of drawings are very large and I don't want to eat-up all of Nelson's disk space...

TapHandleAsm.jpgTapHandleDwg.jpgTapV-BlockDwg.jpg

Fist, let's talk about material selection... The original is made of mild steel and believe it or not, the threads are wearing-out a bit -and as mentioned the v-blocks are worn to the point they won't hold a tap too well. There's also been times when turning a bigger-size tap, I felt the arms on this thing were going to bend a little too much. Given all this, we'll make it out of either 1045 or 4140 and, we'll heat treat it to Rockwell 45 C or so. Remember now, untreated 1045 or 4140 is not much stronger at all than plain-Jane 1018 or 1020. At Rockwell 45, it will have about twice the tensile and yield strength as unhardened metal would.

It turns out, the scrap pile has a small block of 1050, just the perfect size for the v-block and there's plenty of 4140 rod laying around too. -We're set for metal...

I'm using a 1" dia, two-point carbide insert cutter to shave the block down to dimensions. I'm going to leave things about 5 thou oversized and it will be ground to size after heat treating.

TH2.JPG

In this picture I want to point-out what is the sign of a well-trammed mill. That piece had just one single pass taken over the top. The DoC was about 30 thou. Notice that you can see two circular patterns. This means that the leading edge of the inserts were cutting AND the trailing edge of the inserts were cutting as well. If the mill were not trammed properly then, the cutting edges would not be perfectly flat with respect to the piece and you would only see one circular pattern in one direction. Hope that made sense... Let me know if you need a better explanation.

TH3.JPG

The parts are so simple (as you can see in the drawing) I'm not going to describe how to drill the holes etc... Suffice it to say that by now, you can drill the holes and tap for 5/16-18.

TH4.JPG

What I will describe is now to cut the square notch... Here, a 45 degree square is set in the bed of the vise and the pieces are held and clamped at a 45[SUP]o[/SUP] angle. Also notice the red layout ink has a line scribed at the half-way point on the block.

TH5.JPG

To make the notch perfectly centered, you cut it in two steps. First, position the very edge of the cutter right on the scribed line until it just makes contact. For the first cut, move the table into the cut by a known amount -in this case, just a little under 1/8" and make a pass (x direction) across the blocks. Next, keep everything the same position but, lower the cutter (z direction) the same amount as you moved it in the first cut. Make the cut. When you check the position, you'll see it's perfectly centered.

If you want, you can repeat this process on the backside of the blocks but next time around, you can make a different sized notch. For really small taps, you can use the small notches -or you can flip the blocks around and use the bigger notches for bigger sized taps. -That's up to you, I'm not going to bother with that little detail but, I have seen folks do this...

TH6.JPG

OK, that's it for now... We'll finish making the handles tomorrow and we'll do the heat treating on Sunday.

Ray

EDITED to fix a typo.

TapHandleAsm.jpg TapHandleDwg.jpg TapV-BlockDwg.jpg TH1.JPG TH2.JPG TH3.JPG TH4.JPG TH5.JPG TH6.JPG

I have my Grandpa's tap handle that is similar to your's.
I like that design it's now on my project list.
Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for posting the tap handle, Ray. It's now on my to-do list!

Chuck

I've never seen that particular design before. Very nice...it's on my to do list now as well. Thanks Ray.

Well alright then... We are chillin' like a villain with a gold tooth fillin'...

Knocked-out three sets of these; one for me, another for me and one for my buddy Frank whose been eyeing mine for the past 15 years.

Here's a few action shots...

Since there's nothing critical about these, I don't bother to use the calipers or micrometers too much. I set all the radii by touching off on the piece with the parting tool then, digging-in to the desired depth. After that, I grab whatever lathe bit is handy and carve-away the tall spots.

TH7.JPG

To set the taper, I just marked off the distances from the drawing (where my fingers are pointing) then, put a cheap DI in the tool holder and adjusted the angle until it gave me a depth reading of 0.063" (taken from the drawing) over a distance of 2". The taper is cut with compound in about 3 passes. -Easy Shpeasy...

TH8.JPG

Knurling... See, I'm actually using that knurl tool we made a while back. It works fine!

TH9.JPG

-And here's a set of parts. I'm going to use George's suggestion of packing the holes with steel wool. OK, will check back in a while. The parts are warming-up in the oven on their way to 1550F.

TH10.JPG

Ray

TH7.JPG TH8.JPG TH9.JPG TH10.JPG

Here we go... Just need to break the edges on the v-blocks. I was shooting for Rockwell 47 C and the control piece came out to ...(drum roll please)... RC 47.

I walked over to my buddy Frank and gave him one. He just loves the old one I had so I thought this would be a nice gift. He immediately asked "what do I owe you for it?". Silly guy... All my close friends get stuff for free but, it did have me wondering, how much is this this thing worth? When you think about it, there really is no place you can buy hand-crafted tools anymore... Anyhow, there's another thread floating around were someone wants inspiration to build and sell stuff... Here you go, make a bunch of these and let me know how much you get for them... LOL...

TH11.JPGTH12.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the little project... I'm sure you'll see this tap handle in action in upcoming projects... See you then...

Ray

TH11.JPG TH12.JPG

Hi Ray,
Nice work. Unlike yourself I have a tap handle that I've had since 77 and hate it. I like the design of yours and as soon as I get my Cromwell lathe in shape I'll make one. If I was buying one with the nice knurling and hardened jaws $50.00 wouldn't be a problem.
Michael

!

If you and the other folks decide to make one of your own, I can all but guarantee you'll love it. It has a really nice balance and feel to it. I'll never forget the first time my friend Frank needed to use it. It was many, many years ago long before I started-up the garage shop and he had no idea I knew a little bit about machining. Anyhow, he returned it a couple days after borrowing it and the first words out of his mouth were: Where did you get that? I want one! As a Chief Engineer on transport ships, Frank appreciates good tools...

Anyhow, I got the design from my father -and I have no idea if he designed it or someone else did. I made the original one by myself and I remember my father showing me how to calculate diameters for knurling. I remember being in the 5th grade when I made it. I brought it to school for science class and the teacher didn't believe I made it myself and made a big stink. My dad went down there and set them straight... These days, a parent would get thrown in jail for letting a 5th grader run a 15x54 Leblond out in the garage... Fact is, I'd been doing that since I was about 9 -and my father's biggest concern was "Did you clean the machine and sweep up?".

Ray

Hi Ray,
Nice work. Unlike yourself I have a tap handle that I've had since 77 and hate it. I like the design of yours and as soon as I get my Cromwell lathe in shape I'll make one. If I was buying one with the nice knurling and hardened jaws $50.00 wouldn't be a problem.
Michael

Wow!! Thanks for posting your project, I've not ever had a decent holder that I liked. That one looks like it will work better that any I've had, and looks like a good project for a beginner like me to tackle and learn. I need to find your thread on the knurling tool, as I don't have one yet, everything else looks manageable even for me.

really nice, thanks !

If anyone decides to make this and does not have the ability to heat treat it, just send me a PM and I'll take care of it for you. All I ask is you pay postage and make a small donation to this site.

Also, please tell me what metal you make it out of and try to stick with either 1040-50 or 4140-50. I really don't like messing around with pack carburizing mild steel like 1018-20. -Way too messy and smokes-up the shop...

EDIT: Here is the thread that has the plans for the clamp-type knurl tool. I see that I forgot to post the 2D drawings so, I'll put those up tomorrow. Remind me if I forget...

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...ool-Project-(clamp-type)?highlight=knurl+tool

Ray

Back