[Newbie] My First Attempt At Scraping

Thanks I will look for some red dye. Also the links were nice. Rubbing without dye does seem to give you a better view of what is high just hard to see without getting the light right. When you polish the high spots without dye are they really fine like the tip of a pen or are they bigger, mine seem small to me. It is really hard to tell looking at pics on the net.

Usually my points are about 1/16" square. Some bigger, some minuscule. However I use a flat nosed pull scraper, and you're probably using a round-nose push scraper, so your points will be of a different shape.

Nothing new to add today or bug anyone with question. Only report is a sore right arm:)

I use yellow ink or paint on the cast iron for a contrast when I am getting close, I use canode yellow spotting ink. Before I got that I used artist oil paint mixed with vaseline, vaseline keeps the paint from drying, wipe the paint on the angle block in an even manner, then wipe it all off until it is just a haze, until you wipe it with your hand and your hand doesn't yellow. It really helps when you are using thin blue near the end of your scrape job, when your bringing in the bearing rather than just trying to get it flat. ES Dyjack sells the blue and yellow, it's water soluble ink, and I'll never use Prussian blue again

I use yellow ink or paint on the cast iron for a contrast when I am getting close, I use canode yellow spotting ink. Before I got that I used artist oil paint mixed with vaseline, vaseline keeps the paint from drying, wipe the paint on the angle block in an even manner, then wipe it all off until it is just a haze, until you wipe it with your hand and your hand doesn't yellow. It really helps when you are using thin blue near the end of your scrape job, when your bringing in the bearing rather than just trying to get it flat. ES Dyjack sells the blue and yellow, it's water soluble ink, and I'll never use Prussian blue again
So you put the yellow on the piece your scraping and still put blue on the surface plate or no blue on the surface plate?

So you put the yellow on the piece your scraping and still put blue on the surface plate or no blue on the surface plate?

Yellow on the part, and blue on the plate. The two colors give a better contrast.

This video found on the 'net explains the process.

Yellow on the part, and blue on the plate. The two colors give a better contrast.

This video found on the 'net explains the process.
Perfect thanks I have watched that video before and missed that part. Amazing what you get each time you watch or read something.

image.jpeg So the Fed-ex man brought me some new scraping supplies today and all I can say is wow!!! The new carbide scraper is day and night better than the cheapie HSS. I don't know about other options but this was well worth the money.

I tried using the red canode on my part and the blue on the table and it was just to thick covered the whole part. Couldn't seem to get it thin enough now matter what I tried. Do you guys thin it with anything before you use?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Forgot to add my new scraping project while I'm waiting on my granite square to finishe the other side of my angle plate. It is a chi-com tail stock for my rotary table.

For those of you who have not used the Canode ink, please try it when you get a chance. It is water based, and is dead easy to get off your hands, your tools, your surface plate, your sink, your clothes, and everything else that comes in contact with it. It spots equally as well as the oil based stuff, just a LOT easier to use and clean up. Before Canode, you could always identify a scraper hand by his blue (or red) hands and nose...

View attachment 126443 So the Fed-ex man brought me some new scraping supplies today and all I can say is wow!!! The new carbide scraper is day and night better than the cheapie HSS. I don't know about other options but this was well worth the money.

I tried using the red canode on my part and the blue on the table and it was just to thick covered the whole part. Couldn't seem to get it thin enough now matter what I tried. Do you guys thin it with anything before you use?
Use less and roll it out really well, so it is transparent.

Back