My first Bridgeport

Petrolero

Registered
Registered
Just bought my very first machine - I found a 1990 2hp (purportedly) varispeed Bridgeport with 48" table. Found it in a nearby town for sale sitting in the back of an 18-wheeler trailer along with other machine tools. No power there so couldn't listen to it run but was told everything was fine (of course they said that!). The Y-axis ways have almost all of the scraping. Worn in one area near the back, not too bad and not all the way across. Can't see the X-axis but assume it's in good shape also.

Got it home and thanks to a very nice neighbor who brought over his backhoe got it off the trailer and into the shop. Yesterday got it wired to shop power via a Phase-o-Matic.

They took it off the 18-wheeler with a forklift and in hindsight should have picked it up with the rear of the machine facing outwards - so they tweaked the power feed for the Y-axis. The housing is split at the top where it was forced rearward but this I can repair.

I'm a complete noob at this, been watching Abom, This Old Tony, etc and waiting for my chance to jump in. So this is literally the first machine I've ever seen in person.

My plan right now is to take apart the table and saddle and clean them up, make sure the one-shot is working properly and nothing is plugged up.

Three or four things jump out at me right off the bat. First, The machine came with a set of collets. Never worked with these before but I have the idea. The head of the machine was upside down for transport and the drawbar was riding in the spindle. So I get it home and get the head upright and am trying to insert a collet from the bottom. the collet won't go in- the quill is all the way up and when I insert the drawbar into the top of the housing it drops far down inside the top of the housing. the collet is not able to insert more than a half-inch up into the spindle, and it's not the key way keeping it out. There is something else hanging down inside the spindle that's keeping the collet from moving upward. The drawbar is far enough down that I can screw the collet into it, but the head of the drawbar is well below the top of the housing so I can't tighten it. Again, the quill is all the way up. Looking up inside, it's a smooth metal ring of some kind, not sheared. Could something up inside the spindle have dropped downwards?

Next thing I find is that the spindle speed is opposite of what the speed indicator says- when I run the speed indicator all the way down, the spindle is running at max RPM and vice versa- There is a tinny-sounding rattle coming from what I assume is the varispeed belt area when running at max spindle speed - but 60RPM indicated. The rattle drops out at about 90 indicated as the spindle slows down and the indicator says it should be going faster.

I am just starting on this thing - it's quite dirty, and had a zirk fitting in the 'A' lube hole on the right side of the machine looking down. Said Zirk has grease in it. So maintenance has been questionable from what I can tell. I'm not sure it's ever been apart for maintenance.

This will be a hobby machine for me, and while I might one day aspire to sub-thou cuts, I'll be happy right now to get it all cleaned up and learn how to use it.

It came with a Kurt vise, but of course the seller forgot to give me the T-bolts to hold it down so that's the first thing I'll need after cleaning the vise and table.

Any advise on the above issues will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to learning a bit about this machine and starting to use it.

Best to all,
Petrolero

The fun is just starting! Congratulations, next comes the lathe, then the drill press and then the band saw, grinder.........always something new.

Richard

Just rotated the head 90 degrees so I can see up inside the spindle- sure enough there's something jammed up in there, a hollow cylinder of some kind with outside diameter 1/8th or so less than the ID of the spindle - it's bottom edge is 3/4" up inside the spindle - looks like maybe it's slightly canted. Smaller diameter than the inside of the spindle. Definitely preventing the collet from moving up inside properly. when I look down inside the top I see the point where the drawbar will rest several inches below where it looks like it should be, so that the top of the drawbar will forever be below the housing top and unreachable. It does not appear to move with quill position. When the drawbar is inserted into the top of the housing it falls down inside the quill/spindle and does not protrude from the bottom. I can screw in a collet into the bottom but I'm at a loss to figure out how this thing will work properly - the top of the drawbar appearing above the housing for tightening - when the quill is all the way up. It's almost like the drawbar is too short.

Not looking good-

Guess I'll go out there and try to remove the hollow cylinder.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks to all-

Petrolero

Sounds like maybe a piece of broken collet is stuck in there? You might try poking a wooden dowel up there or down from the top- see if you can budge it
-M
See if you can see any threads on it, shine a light from the top and look under with a mirror

Pretty strange with the draw bar dropping in. Probably worth removing the spindle if you can get the ball trip lever out.

Pretty strange with the draw bar dropping in. Probably worth removing the spindle if you can get the ball trip lever out.
Ok - just back in from the shop - sweltering out there today so I'm only out there for short periods-

I tried wiggling the offending piece with a screwdriver inserted between the inside edge of the spindle and the piece - it definitely will move some side to side. It acts like aluminum - I stuck a piece of wire with a hook up in there and I can feel the other side - it's jammed up against whatever the drawbar rides in. Perhaps it's wedged in there by the collet key? Markba - I looked for threads, but none - a shame since that would be the easy way to remove. I've tilted the head 90 degrees to be able to see top and bottom of the unit.

Speaking of that, I figured there should be a drive nut somewhere to rotate the head with precision, like there is for the ram. I can't find anything - once you loosen the head lock nuts the unit will swivel freely. There is one likely spot with a long nut - but it pulls out of the housing cleanly- no threads or anything else - looks like it was turned down in a lathe on the end.

So - how do I remove the spindle? Guess there's a youtube for that.

Mixed up a batch of JB Weld and fixed the split power drive case. Of course bending the power drive also put some runout in the drive screw at the end. What's acceptable here? Probably will find out when I put the power drive back on.

Warping the power drive with the forklift pulled some of the cap-head screws loose from the inner bearing retaining 'puck' so I've pulled that out and find that it looks to be home-made as I can't imagine BP making something so shoddy-looking.

Thanks to all who offer wisdom-

Just watched the H&W how-to. Easy! Going to do just that next-

Last edited:
Thinking about this - would it be better to find a bolt just undersized, stick it up in there and tack-weld it to the intruder with a goodly length sticking out so I can get a puller or something on it. I'm hesitant to do that because I don't want to damage the inside of the spindle - maybe if I shielded the inside somehow- I guess I also need to unplug machine first.

I wouldn't weld a puller to it. It either went in from the top or bottom, take your time and you'll get it out. Lots of videos by H&W Machine to learn Bport repair.

Great videos on servicing a BP mill right here. And super folks to deal with for parts and accessories.

akjeff-

Been watching these vids - wonderful content - this is what gave me confidence to buy one of these- of course you can guess where I'll buy parts.

So I got it out.

It's apparently a spacer for the top side of the drawbar. I cut some light threads in it from the bottom side, threaded in a bolt, and took a long piece of rod and tapped on it from the top side of the machine. Looks to be shop-made.

So I proceeded to mount a collet- no key in the spindle- so collet turns freely when trying to tighten.

Also, the drawbar still drops down below the face of the top of the quill housing, collet drops from the bottom of the spindle. Obvious there's too much space between the bottom of the drawbar nut and the top of the spindle. And, yes, the quill is in the full up and locked position. When I added the intruder I pulled from the bottom of the spindle to the drawbar before inserting it the thing finally works correctly in terms of me being able to tighten the collet properly.

I guess what happened was the guy who sold it to me dropped both the spacer and the drawbar into the bottom of the spindle when he inverted the head for shipping and the spacer stayed stuck in the bottom- Are these machines supposed to have a spacer like this?

One down...

Back