My first Bridgeport

Strap it to the four corners of the table after removal?
I'd keep that sucker either bolted or c-clamped to something substantial enough to prevent it from tipping/ getting knocked over. We have a lot of seismic activity here, so I'm kind of paranoid about such things.

I'd keep that sucker either bolted or c-clamped to something substantial enough to prevent it from tipping/ getting knocked over. We have a lot of seismic activity here, so I'm kind of paranoid about such things.
Well it bolts to the table - I'd never even think about doing it without bolting it down. Still, you're depending on the welds holding - this is sold by H&W so one assumes they've engineered it to hold the head. Still gives me the willies as the thing is so top-heavy.

Well it bolts to the table - I'd never even think about doing it without bolting it down. Still, you're depending on the welds holding - this is sold by H&W so one assumes they've engineered it to hold the head. Still gives me the willies as the thing is so top-heavy.
I'd definitely trust their welds to hold just fine.

The JB Weld hardened quicker than I thought - shoe polish worked great - the surrogate bolt spun right out with nary a complaint. The JB will continue to harden over the next several days to week - but assuming this holds, it's precisely what I was looking for - no shipping it off somewhere to be repaired- Firstram - much obliged for the suggestion...

IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG
The end of the locking shaft is what is visible at the end of the threads.

IMG_1027.JPG
I'll just have to remember not to tighten 'farmer tight'-

Also pulled out the clockspring while I was out tonight - it was disconnected and little wonder why - recon I need a new one.
IMG_1030.JPG

Welp-

This morning I started investigating why the downfeed wasn't working. The round black collar behind the engaging pin spins - and I did the clutch housing modification as was shown in the H&W video. I ran the setscrew all the way in but nothing. Took the clutch cover off and clutch out, started the machine and the gear inside isn't turning.

Looks like the DPO is also a crook. He represented that there was nothing wrong with this machine.

Welp-

This morning I started investigating why the downfeed wasn't working. The round black collar behind the engaging pin spins - and I did the clutch housing modification as was shown in the H&W video. I ran the setscrew all the way in but nothing. Took the clutch cover off and clutch out, started the machine and the gear inside isn't turning.

Looks like the DPO is also a crook. He represented that there was nothing wrong with this machine.
That sucks. It could be the power feed clutch selector isn't engaged. There's an off center pin that engages in a plunger to move it up and down. It could be assembled wrong, and the pin is a sob to get right without the top end being apart. I'll try to find a video of what I'm talking about, as my description sucks!

Start at about 7:50 into the video to see the off center rod and pin that I'm talking about.

That sucks. It could be the power feed clutch selector isn't engaged. There's an off center pin that engages in a plunger to move it up and down. It could be assembled wrong, and the pin is a sob to get right without the top end being apart. I'll try to find a video of what I'm talking about, as my description sucks!

Start at about 7:50 into the video to see the off center rod and pin that I'm talking about.
Yep - watched this about 3 times today. Maybe if I lower the knee all the way down after I take the head off I'll be able to get to this. You're right - still have to take the top half off to do it right. Then if I have it that far down I'll strip it completely and paint, etc.

I think the clutch selector is working right, the collar that sits at the horizontal pin you either pull out or push in to raise or lower the quill is spinning just fine.

Dammit!

Today's activity:

IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
JPDA9981.JPG

FXIS6874.JPG
Back on - no crushed feet, no cracked iron, mostly clean knee - spanking clean ways and oil passages - very little drama-

Got some parts in today - will start reassembling tomorrow...

Back