My first hammer

madmatt41

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I made my first hammer from scratch. I wanted to do it out of solid brass, but I didn't have enough. I turned the center from an old bolt, bored it 3/4"(my first internal boring job), then single point threaded it to 16tpi(also a first). The brass I turned and threaded 3/4x16tpi and screwed them on. I figure this is better anyway as the ends are now replaceable. Funny enough the handle is what I'm least proud of.

I haven't figured this out, but the old bolt appeared to have random super hard spots in it. I broke a drill bit trying to drill the hole for the handle, had to resharpen my 1/2" bit at least 4 times. I also burned up two 1/2" endmills trying to turn the holes into slots. So my free hammer from scrap parts was actually quite expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 56
Very nice. I don't see anything wrong with the handle.

I've made many wooden handles over the years. I thought I had it down, but this one I made slightly too thin for my hand. I was in a hurry to get it done, which is never a good thing, and I was trying to use a piece of scrap wood that was not the right thickness to start with. I would have liked to put a little more shape to it as well, but that's just aesthetics.

Reactions: tjb
Bummer. Still looks good, though.

I have had the same problem a few times machining grade 8 bolts, but once you get through the hard spot they machine pretty good.
The hammer looks fine to me also.

Chuck

I need to make one too. You did well having the ends screw on, that way you can change one end over to teflon/delrin...or other material (hard wood) if needed. This is what I want to do with mine anyways.

Back