My first Hardinge turret lathe restore project.

countryguy

Active User
Registered
He ya'll. I somehow found my way to a Bidding site and saw this very cute little Lathe in a dark dark photo. (the one here I tweaked). I bid $210 (the min 10 over the last bidder) and only later realized it was not really a lathe's lathe, but a turret / production or "secondary production" type tool. Something in the photo stuck and I just had to go pull the pic and do some image uplift to see it fully. By then, my bid was in and I end up winning the thing! Not sure what it was I posted about this up in the GQA (general Q&A) section and then went searching for the Hardinge info on the Net. Then I found this sub-forum on HM (this site). And now here I am :)

So it seems I have my first restore and rebuild on my hands! All at the tender Newbie HM age of about 6mo's. But I do have the skills so I'm ready to go get this thing and see what's inside the stand cabinets !!!! I think for $210 bucks, she will be a fun project if still in some measure of "I wanna live again" condition. Sight unseen.... Well.... It is what it is. 1 odd little photo which I've brightened to the max to get any detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031zrecnrXM

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/page3.html

Wish me luck. CG

harding-lathe.jpg

harding-lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance but can you cut threads with it?

Countryguy:man:
you got yourself a score there my friend !!!
great find
you got me envious for sure!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

i may be mistaken, but i believe there is a thread cutting kit from hardinge.

Whew! Thanks for the note on this. It does have quite a following! And I'm now part of the family here. So I will need ya'll to help me some. Ok lots. :). I have a shopmaster 3:1 so I can cut threads and correct- this cannot w/o a add on. But from my limited reading I think there were only a few models that could accept it?.... Anyway. The more I see about this lil guy ( 1100lbs) it seems to be a really useful tool. Glad I happened by a really bad pic! Nobody else bid. :).

I read about bout all you guys and gals in this site with the free finds and the scrap yard $10 finds so all of you folks helped me hit that "bid" button on something of a chance. So I guess it is part all of ours. ;-). You are all a super bunch.
G'nite all. CG out.

QUOTE=Ulma Doctor;216327]Countryguy
you got yourself a score there my friend !!!
great find
you got me envious for sure!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

i may be mistaken, but i believe there is a thread cutting kit from hardinge.[/QUOTE]

DSM-59 turret restore is Home.. Update: My first Hardinge

Hi everyone, Thought I would update the post. Went down to Marysville OH yesterday to pick up the turret lathe :) It had all the Collets, tooling, cross-slide, 2 chuchk,work holding parts ,etc! Yahoo. What a real real lucky find. Winter project #256 (or so) on the books is in the building. Time to go find Manual! anyone have some tips or suggestions I"m all ears.
Have a great Saturday all!

What a deal, SCORE! :greenwithenvy:

Yes, you use a threading die. The one I used had a adjustable travel. Had to close it after each part was threaded. Once the travel reached the set length it would pop open so it could be withdrawn without stopping. Made many pieces on a turret a little bit bigger than the one he bought.

I was wondering how this turned out

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Back