My first lathe arrived today

Yes we could. This is the way they move pianos isn't it?
But . . . in the near future I'll be moving to Sweden,-(bought a house there this summer), so I'll be needing the frame anyway to move the lathe into the shed.

Hi Emtor,

Yes it is. I did wonder if you wanted to keep the crate in one piece. When I got my mill, you had to literally destroy the crate to get it out. It was bolted to the bottom, had struts nailed through the sides, in addition to the bits that were stapled in paper wraps.

Anyway, good luck and happy machining. :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

The crate is dismantled but easy to put back together again.
A crate will help protect the lathe while moving it to Sweden when that day arrives.
I'll keep the crate.

Congrats on your new lathe and welcome to H-M!

Thanks vtcnc. Should have done this ages ago.
A new world has opened up. Suddenly junk has become stock material. I have a bunch of steel rods taken from printers that I planned on throwing away.
No way! These should come in handy some day. My neighbours better not leave the hood of their cars open for long. There's aluminium under those hoods. Nice for casting round stock. A lathe needs food :)

Last edited:
Emtor, what is the brand name of your lathe? Except for the color, it looks just like my Lathemaster 8x14 It's even the same weight as mine, 260 lbs. Harbor freight also sells one exactly like mine but they call it a 8x12. It is the 10x16 that I'm confused about. However, if it is what I think you got, it is a nice tough lathe. Mine has served me well. Yes. a lathe needs food. Also, quench its thirst with oil.

The lathe is a 10X16, CJ9525/400.
The shop also sells a 10x22 CJ9525/550. Exactly the same lathe but with a 22 inch bed.
Made by the Jiangsu Xima Machine Tool Manufacturing Co, Ltd.
The problem is that the chinese make products with the import company's name on them. The same lathe may come in a variety of colors and with different brand names. The company who sell these lathes here in Norway only has the model number from the manufacturer on them.
It would surprise me though if companies like Harbour Freight and Grizzly hasn't discovered this manufacturing company. This lathe really stands out compared to those light weight and cheap Sieg lathes.

I just doubled the weight in kg to get the weight in pounds, but that isn't quite accurate. The exact weight is 280 lbs (127 kg).

I watched a review last night on youtube. A Sieg from Harbour Freight. The guy cut the straps on the crate and pulled them loose.
The crate moved along with the straps across the bench easily. Try that with my lathe. We were three guys sliding this thing across the floor and we got a good exercise doing just that. Lifting it up onto the bench was out of the question. I guess we could have done it but it would have resulted in sore backs and busted knuckles.

When everything is cleaned, oiled and adjusted properly I'm sure the lathe will perform very well for it's size.

The lathe is a 10X16, CJ9525/400.
The shop also sells a 10x22 CJ9525/550. Exactly the same lathe but with a 22 inch bed.
Made by the Jiangsu Xima Machine Tool Manufacturing Co, Ltd.
The problem is that the chinese make products with the import company's name on them. The same lathe may come in a variety of colors and with different brand names. The company who sell these lathes here in Norway only has the model number from the manufacturer on them.
It would surprise me though if companies like Harbour Freight and Grizzly hasn't discovered this manufacturing company. This lathe really stands out compared to those light weight and cheap Sieg lathes.

I just doubled the weight in kg to get the weight in pounds, but that isn't quite accurate. The exact weight is 280 lbs (127 kg).

I watched a review last night on youtube. A Sieg from Harbour Freight. The guy cut the straps on the crate and pulled them loose.
The crate moved along with the straps across the bench easily. Try that with my lathe. We were three guys sliding this thing across the floor and we got a good exercise doing just that. Lifting it up onto the bench was out of the question. I guess we could have done it but it would have resulted in sore backs and busted knuckles.

When everything is cleaned, oiled and adjusted properly I'm sure the lathe will perform very well for it's size.
Good for you sounds great.
I'm sure you will have a great time playing with your new toy. (E'r I mean using your new machine)
I was blessed to find a used Logan 10 in Montgomery Ward's. But the same as a 200 that cuts nice and straight at least for everything I've needed to produce on it. To be honest I never turned a test bar or test callers to check for taper but I generally just do little things or center drill something. Congratulations and enjoy. Quick question what is the diameter through your spindle? Sorry I did not read the whole thread if you already dis discuss that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Diameter through the spindle is 20 mm - 0.79 ".
Finding a Logan or equivalent lathe here is next to impossible.
Second hand lathes are usually industrial 3-phase monsters and smaller new lathes are expensive.
I was lucky to find this one.
Well . . . it is a toy. A lathe becomes a boring machine when you're forced to crank out hundreds of identical parts a day.

OH OK, .790 isn't bad.
It has a back gear too?
The Logan spindle hole id under .750.
Sometimes wish mine was larger, Like the bigger logans. Logan 820 IIRC.
I have all My threading gears, And also added an wiper motor variable speed feed for the lead screw.
Worked out quite well.

Back