My first lathe - don't laugh

Check out my post in shop made tools. These lathes can make stuff. You just have to work within their limitations.

Once you get used to hand cranking to feed the tool, you'll not want to give it up when you get a larger lathe.

Wow, thanks Bob, what a wealth of information!

.. for total giggles, here's a (small) pic of my first woodworking lathe 40 years ago! Yup, four pieces of wood, two dowels, some ill fitting screws and candle wax for lubricant. -frank

Awesome. Reminds me of the stuff Matthias Wandel does (https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel) That guy can do anything with wood. Check out the bandsaws he designs and makes.

.. find a chuck and start making chips.

I found this list of people who sell chucks: http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html

But, how do I remove the faceplate? Does it thread on, or just jam in a taper? Is there a spindle lock? I can post some close up pictures if that would help.

As far as 109 series go that is a rare one I think, not many around
very collectible, congrats
Mark S

Huh. I did not consider that lathes could be collectibles, interesting. I guess there's a collector for everything, huh?

1/3 HP is as much as it can handle, so the motor will fit it great. You can't beat free! Congratulations and have fun! Ps. Take very very light cuts with the machine while you get the hang of it. The 109.xxxx series of lathes need to be treated with care of the spindle may bend.

Thanks for the words of caution. Glad to hear the motor's a good choice.

One like it was my 1st lathe. Made a lot of money rebuilding motorcycle starters with it. Paid $75.00 for it and sold it some years later for $300.00 my asking price.
Moved on to a Craftsman 12" which does everything I need and still have it.

But, how do I remove the faceplate? Does it thread on, or just jam in a taper? Is there a spindle lock?
It should be just threaded on. I would soak it from the front and back of the faceplate with penetrating oil and see if you can free it up. Let the penetrant sit overnight, then turn it first in the tighten direction, followed by the loosen direction, counter clockwise. Do not force it or you might bend the spindle. If it does not come free with moderate force, do the penetrant thing again, try to work it loose, lather, rinse, repeat until it comes off, and it will eventually come off. It had decades to get stuck on there, you have days or weeks or whatever to get it loose if necessary. Patience, grasshopper...

If no spindle lock , might try wedging wood between pulley and casting being careful not to bend or break anything , or a strap wrench on pulley , are there any gears in there ?. Might get a couple pics of headstock pulley set up.

It's threaded Jared; 1/2"-20 thread or 3/4"-16 but probably the former.
Try grabbing the belt and twist it up tight with one hand and tug on the faceplate with the other, that might get it.
Also use the penetrating oil (like Liquid Wrench) or similar like Bob suggested.
I don't think there is a spindle lock on this machine
Mark S

my first home lathe was a 6" craftsman ( atlas) basket case I got it at a salvage yard in downey ,ca the guy at the salvage yard asked me what I was looking for and I answered what have you got he said wait a minute and returned with a shopping cart with a lathe torn apart in a shopping cart I bought it and took it home minus the cart. rebuilt it and used it for a couple years then sold it to a boss at work. at that time sears still had some parts for it. the best part was a new headstock that used tapered roller bearings, the old headstock used bronze bushings. best upgrade to that lathe ever. bill

Lathes UK said 1/2"-24 spindle thread for Jared's model. Oddball... And small! It will not take much to bend that spindle. Be careful with it!

Back