My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

My machine (the small one) is a Grizzly G-1550. Identical to your's with a 1-1/2X8 spindle nose. A big issue is the drive belts. I use Dixie Bearing as a source, they were all over the country when I was in the service. 5M710 or 5M730, depending on where/when it was built. You need at least one spare, two or three would be better. They're cheap enough and quite useful. . . I ended up acquiring an assortment, the 5M series pulleys are easy to make with a threading tool at a 60 deg V.

I eventually went with an Atlas/Craftsman 12X36 because I was cutting down brake disks to make railroad wheels. (7-1/2 Ga) The Griz was too small to swing the rotors. Other than a full Norton threading gear box and the larger swing, the Griz actually fits what I do better. One adaptation I made was a planetary gear head to fit the power end of the spindle. The ~3:1 gear ratio gives me ~40 RPM on the chuck. My web site is down, the host changed software and many(most) of my pages didn't survive. The article is posted in several locations, I lost the links in a crash a couple-three years back. (My last stroke(6) left my mind a little fuzzy, I couldn't rebuild the site) The only parts acquired were from an old (GM?) automatic transmission.

The HF version is a little more rough than the Grizzly, but makes a very good machine in itself once tuned. Being used, your's may have the tuning done. The only advantages to a larger machine is the larger swing and a couple of powered features. But for smaller work it actually is easier to use. There are a couple of ZAMAK fittings that you would do well to replace with steel or brass. ZAMAK is sensitive to an industrial solvent that still shows up occasionally. CRC Brake Clean being most likely. The base chemical has been outlawed in the States, but derivitives are still used in some applications. Making the threading lever isn't that hard.

Thank you for the suggestions. Sorry to read about the health issues, but happy to have you here contributing to us newbies in this field.

On the belts, it did come with an extra one. Of the thin ones. The 5M730.

IMG_2226.jpeg

I will get a couple more of both.

On the lever, yes, I will remove it and see if I can give it a go in making a replacement. Thanks!

As a note, the 5M series belts, while "thin", are surprisingly strong. The 5M is for the 5mm wide back. It is a Gates product and should be widely available.

Okay, glad you mentioned it... there are then three belts...

5M710 and 5M730 for the different pulley combinations... these I am seeing them anywhere from $14.00-20.00 each... Grizzly has them for a lot more... for example, they are asking 34.50 (plus shipping) for the 5M730

Then there is the tooth belt 160 x L050 80T that is used for the motor drive... Grizzly has this one for 16.00

I have another source but my notes are work and very reasonable and ships for $4 , I will send you a link tomorrow am:wink:

I paid less for my Enco, but you got a better deal.

AXA is the preferred size for these lathes, although OXA will also fit.

Not sure on your mystery accessory, but many people make a solid base to replace the compound when added rigidity is needed. This may have been one persons solution. The idea that it might be part of a radius cutter attachment also seems reasonable to me.

These lathes have their drawbacks, no reverse, no back gear, no power cross feed but I agree with Bill for a small inexpensive lathe they are a good option.

These lathes are popular and there are a ton of modifications done to them. There is information out there for adding electronic lead screws, tumble revrse, gear reduction, adapting to a larger v belt etc. This was actually one of the reasons I bought mine, I thought it could be fun to tinker with.

I do have a safety tip for you, the belt change lever is not a clutch. Do not engage it while running or you are very likely to break the drive belt.

I have a Precision Matthews lathe coming in (I am guessing here) January... Being new to all this, I wanted to practice with something more inexpensive... Finding this lathe, at this price, was great for what I wanted. Also keeps me busy and not thinking about when the PM lathe is arriving... hehehe

The first thing I managed to do was break the half nut lever... made out of pot metal... it just crumbled when I tried to engage the half nut... This is part number P4000711 in the Grizzly G4000 and it is currently on backorder. If I can't get to the circlip that holds it in place, I will have to disassemble that area to get to it for removal.

View attachment 378560
View attachment 378561

View attachment 378562
I noticed the apron feed lever was up in the pic of the broken half nut lever. There is a lockout so you can't engage both of them at the same time.

I paid less for my Enco, but you got a better deal.

AXA is the preferred size for these lathes, although OXA will also fit.

Not sure on your mystery accessory, but many people make a solid base to replace the compound when added rigidity is needed. This may have been one persons solution. The idea that it might be part of a radius cutter attachment also seems reasonable to me.

These lathes have their drawbacks, no reverse, no back gear, no power cross feed but I agree with Bill for a small inexpensive lathe they are a good option.

These lathes are popular and there are a ton of modifications done to them. There is information out there for adding electronic lead screws, tumble revrse, gear reduction, adapting to a larger v belt etc. This was actually one of the reasons I bought mine, I thought it could be fun to tinker with.

I do have a safety tip for you, the belt change lever is not a clutch. Do not engage it while running or you are very likely to break the drive belt.
When you say no reverse... on what? It does have a direction of Forward and Reverse in the top knob...???

On the safety tip. Thank you for calling that out... this label on the cover was confusing the heck out of me...

IMG_2273.jpeg

I noticed the apron feed lever was up in the pic of the broken half nut lever. There is a lockout so you can't engage both of them at the same time.

Yes. I knew that before I picked up the lathe so I was careful not to try to engage both at the same time. The knob tab was very soft... The lathe had been sitting for a year without use, everything needed cleaning and oiling... I should have done that before trying to engage every lever...

I have some aluminum stock... will see if the design is not too complicated for me to reproduce in aluminum...

When you say no reverse... on what? It does have a direction of Forward and Reverse in the top knob...???

On the safety tip. Thank you for calling that out... this label on the cover was confusing the heck out of me...

View attachment 378657

Yep big sticker, but apparently some still think they can engage and disengage while running leading to short belt life.

It has no spindle reverse, not really a big deal since it is a threaded spindle, but it often is brought up as a weakness.
Since we are discussing the spindle there is a retention clip and screw on the spindle which needs to be removed before you can remove the chuck.

Back