My first mill- and I can't help BUT laugh!

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I guess I am gonna have to change my sig line:). Last weekend I picked up a Millrite MVN from 1973. R8 spindle (whew). Spent it's whole life in a high school metals class. Ways are in great shape. Table has some nicks, but nothing scary. The price, considering the machinery desert I live in, was very good. I beat several guys to the punch, the seller tells me, when HE delivered the machine. The only downsides are- no tooling, and 3 phase motor. You guys have been instrumental in educating me about machines, processes and tooling. Can't thank you enough. Can't wait to get some chips flying. Pics coming soon.

I guess I am gonna have to change my sig line:). Last weekend I picked up a Millrite MVN from 1973. R8 spindle (whew). Spent it's whole life in a high school metals class. Ways are in great shape. Table has some nicks, but nothing scary. The price, considering the machinery desert I live in, was very good. I beat several guys to the punch, the seller tells me, when HE delivered the machine. The only downsides are- no tooling, and 3 phase motor. You guys have been instrumental in educating me about machines, processes and tooling. Can't thank you enough. Can't wait to get some chips flying. Pics coming soon.
Congratulations. I am now on my second Millrite and think they are great!

Three phase will be an advantage, variable speed control and a smoother running motor. Just get a VFD and hook it up. It is not too difficult and we can help you if you need it. As far as tooling only buy what you really need to get started, and then look for deals on used tooling at great prices. They are out there, just need to be patient and quick on the draw at the same time. Don't be a sucker, and don't dally when the right deal comes along, pounce on it! Craigslist is your friend...

I had a millrite for many years, and loved it sold it for 3 x what I paid 15 years earlier, I just put a DRO on it and what an improvement it made for making things easier to do. Sold it for a $500 Bridgeport that I am very happy with now that I added a DRO and power x. enjoy that mill it is a great one.

I'm looking at a Millrite milling machine some guy is selling. He says that he doesn't know much about it and has never used it. He is asking $1500 OBO and it does come with some tooling IE a vise and some other stuff. From looking at the pictures it looks to be in pretty good condition. Thinking about giving him a offer of $750 and see if he will sell for that much. Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, he says he needs it gone ASAP because it's taking up space in his garage.

3 phase motor is great. As mentioned, power it with 220 through a vfd. Place the belt on the middle pulley and you have a variable speed mill. Ran mine like this and it was great until I needed something larger (always seems to happen!)
Orange Crush, if that mill is in fact in good shape grab it for the asking price, if its still available.

3 phase motor is great. As mentioned, power it with 220 through a vfd. Place the belt on the middle pulley and you have a variable speed mill. Ran mine like this and it was great until I needed something larger (always seems to happen!)
Orange Crush, if that mill is in fact in good shape grab it for the asking price, if its still available.
ys
I sold mine in 3 days and the guy came from about 200 miles with a trailer for $1400 that is in So. California. There is a big demand for something a bit smaller then a bridgeport. I had just installed a DRO system with accuremote I think the name was, finally after having the mill for maybe 10 years.

When I sold my first tired Millrite, I had many calls including some from several hundred miles away, offering more, sight unseen, than the "$1000 firm" I was asking for it if I would hold it until they got here. The first guy who showed up, with the ad only about 3 hours old on Craigslist, was heavily trying to talk me down while I answered call after call from prospective buyers. I told him that the price was going up to $1300 in five minutes and he started counting out the $1K. ;) I probably had 15 calls in the four hours the mill was on CL. Millrite mills are good and desirable equipment, no frills, solid machines.

well do you have any pictures yet???

Back